59 Posts

oi whatta mess

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Wonder what Westwood was thinking.
    That you need to build a SAM site? Funny picture though.

After finding that other odd multi-game patch I put C&C Renegades and Generals on here. Both of them seem pretty good, at least early into it. Renegades is screwy being the late C&C1 shifted into a first person shooter. Some of the mechanics are a wee bit annoying, and I think the stages are made a bit overly long but it's not bad if you have the time. Generals though, not sure what to think of it so far but it's nice being able to queue up multiple unit builds at one time. Only took this as far as finishing the 3 Gorges Dam stage for China and saved it as the next opened. I'll probably come back around to all these things when the mood suits me.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 02-13-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've pretty much sucked all the fun I'm going to get out of this one, for now. Gone through both campaigns twice and played all the bonus missions that interested me (I only went through one of the dinosaur campaigns, and I avoided the commando oriented junk, which I share your dislike of).

Anyways, I've realized there's a terrible, yet somewhat humorous, bug in this game. In some of the later missions, you can be operating on separate landmasses that are completely divided by water, with no way to move between them except infantry by Chinook helicopters. The problem is that building tiberium refineries in each land mass frequently results in the tiberium tractors getting confused.

Out of the blue, they'll suddenly think that they're assigned to the other, unreachable, refinery. And try as you might, you can't get them to move to the refinery that they can actually reach to unload at. So when this happens, you're forced to destroy one of your refineries and have to mine tiberium on only one land mass (And then alternate building and destroying refineries as you consume tiberium while it grows back in the other location).

Edit: And one last thought on Command & Conquer. The GDI laser cannon paired with a NOD troop camp with several dozen infantry and engineers standing around outside, is great fun. I killed over 30 of them in one shot once. Any infantry standing shoulder to shoulder with those you've directly targeted, even if they're well outside of the 1 square or so blast zone, is vaporized at the same time.

Much more fun (And useful) than NOD's nuclear capability.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-23-2015 at 03:56 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default Try Renegade

A really good companion game to the original Command & Conquer, in my view, is "Command & Conquer: Renegade". In many ways, it was one of the better FPSes I've ever played, that let you drive / pilot all the vehicles of the original C&C and to play the commando. Multiplayer was really, really awesome, at least until a lot of cheats started to be developed for it. It was so much fun to play that game on a server with 20 other people - everyone using resources to buy their own upgrades and try to take down the enemy base.

Even though I'm certain the multiplayer part of it is dead today, the single-player campaign is worth it, especially if you wanted to take a new perspective (a 3d one, hehe) on the original C&C.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I enjoyed the fps, but never got around to finishing it.

I did a special mission yesterday that I had missed. Was a GDI mission and the attack helicopters are equipped with the NOD laser cannon from their Obelisk of Light.

That was a fun one and good way to call it a day with this game.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-11-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think I brought it up that I fired that game up for a bit from the disc I have. It's not bad, unique for sure seeing the game played in such a respect when it always had been a RTS and placing it within the confines of the original game too. There are some questionably confusing moments in places but it's not bad. I do wish the stages were a bit shorter as it tends to drag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How come the Red Alert installer here is only a dozen MB's?

http://redalert1.com/

Must be missing something here.

Edit: I'm all set.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-13-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't remember why, but when I was looking around at those installers, many of places where hiding the files you're entitled to on their webserver so you can't have them yourself. You get the web installer for a few MB then it pulls the rest of the data which is kind of sleazy since they're not EA and have no ownership rights to the files to hide them. There's this one website that hides all the released C&C games through button clicks on a website so you can't snap them up as it direct installs. It's partly a good reason why I gave up because I couldn't set stuff up so when I found I did have that old disc I was thrilled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's what I eventually did, but from another source than I linked (Which I assume was the same sort of deal). Wasn't entirely comfortable with it, but it worked fine.

Revisiting Red Alert definitely is about as far as I'll go with this genre (I have both of these on cd from back in the day, as well as the first collection release that had Red Alert 2, Renegade, and Tiberium Sun). Red Alert though is already too complicated and hectic for its own good.

I enjoy the more leisurely and controlled pace of the original. Still plenty difficult for me at times, but Red Alert almost feels like work at times.

Wish my wall trick worked here, but as I recall, the AI is smart enough to blast its way through walls in this game.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-14-2015 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You and I are alike. I can't finish Red Alert as there's no enjoyment in it about 1/2 into it. They start pulling out these really bs situations or screwy nearly magical techs that just suck the life out of it, not to mention the 'stop a nuke with 3 guys' underground stage against a small army with tanks, flame towers, etc.

I wish Tiberium Sun would work, that one for some reason still hates the hacks when I attempted it. I've put them all to the side, doing more with the New3DS at the moment anyway and on PC I'd rather now that I've got them back blow time on the Wing Commander series and dabble with FF13-2 as well. Whenever it arrives I also have PS4-FF Type0 collectors box arriving so I'll be doing that and reading that cool manga in the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Confirming my memories, I never did finish the Allied campaign in Red Alert.

I'm now on an in-door level, something I've never seen (It's the second half of mission 10, out of 14 total). Must've never got past the first half of this mission back in the 90's, since I did remember the opening cutscene. Looks like it's what you're talking about, since stopping the launch of nuclear missiles is my task.

Jinxed myself, since I was just thinking to myself earlier that I'm surprised that they never tried such nonsense.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-14-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Enjoy wanting to slit the throat of the designer who cooked up that shitty level. The Allied Campaign is noted as being not as well built as the Soviet side which is a crying shame. I guess Westwood were commie sympathizers. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do you ever get to enjoy the Allied cruisers in this game?

I had to evacuate a scientist a mission or so earlier, and was granted a pair of these as reinforcements. But by that point, there wasn't any enemy left except submarines, with it simply a matter of ferrying the scientist back to my home island for a Chinook to evacuate him.

The guns have quite a range and appear to be pretty powerful, judging by some manual shots I made to test them out. Would be good fun to bombard an enemy base with these (The gunboats and destroyers though, seem only useful for being submarine fodder or AA defense, since their guns and missiles are pretty weak against any enemy ground units close enough to shore to hit).

Reminds me of Battlefield 1942 and their battleships. Used to team up with a friend on Teamspeak, who would hide in bushes near enemy control points, and direct my fire while I was safely far off-shore. Never saw anyone else use it correctly.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-15-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another indoor level, fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Do you ever get to enjoy the Allied cruisers in this game? .
    Waited too long on level 12 to build a shipyard, since I could build them in what I just finished. Would've came in handy a little bit earlier.

I think the Apaches are this game's sandbag walls. They seem to be the great equalizer, since the antiaircraft capabilities of the Soviets are pretty weak. With a swarm of 7 or 8 of them, I'm able to destroy a couple of SAM sites on a single attack run without taking a loss. Then, just repair and perhaps take out 2 more missile sites and the enemy base is wide open for aerial attack. After, take out the construction yards followed by the refineries, then it's just mopping up.

Even the mammoth tanks are pitifully weak against them (How'd they end up an enemy unit?), although they still occasionally fire an underpowered rocket that doesn't do much of anything. And there doesn't even seem to be any enemy rocket infantry to worry about (They're all riflemen or equipped with flame throwers, and pose no threat).

Much different from the original C&C where the helicopters were only useful for the most part against enemy units in the field, with it suicide to fly them into any bases.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-15-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I kind of vaguely remember both those things now. I don't remember making any use of boats more than the minimum to get a fighting force somewhere, but the aircraft for the allies are the greatest asset that as you put it really does equalize the game. Up until that point it's just ridiculously slimy how much the soviets can just wreck your ass, on the ground (traditional history I guess of the mass of soviet hoards into the meat grinder to victory on foot and in tanks) as they were never heavily known or feared for their aircraft until the Mig jet period years after (normal history) WW2. I just know I'm almost certain I never finished the Allie campaign and had no interest in being a commie so I didn't play that side much like I really never did the Nod other than once to say I did on C&C. I know I was exposed to the apache and they were fun stress relievers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think the German soldiers that had to deal with IL-2 Sturmoviks, P-40's, and P-39's would agree with you, although veteran German fighter pilots usually didn't have much to fear from the Soviet fighters and routinely racked up kills in the many hundreds, something unknown before or since.

But as attrition lowered their numbers (Dying, being captured, or being too wounded to fly again were the only way out of the cockpit), anyone without hundreds of kills that had probably been flying fighters for Germany since the Spanish Civil War, was at risk against Soviet fighters like the Yak-9.

Either way, obviously this game is centered on pure fiction.

Back to Red Alert, the last level is sort of odd with how it starts. If you're not careful, you'll be blown up within about 2 seconds of it starting. Got that cleared and have a base going, but the Soviet jets and tanks made me turn it off a few minutes in.

Not looking like it's going to be an easy fight.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-18-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not easy nor particularly fun either. The true cheapness hits on that one, a foreshadowing of how all future Westwood (and Blizzard) RTS games date wise were going. Unimaginably quick pain, cheap tactics, and all around ugly abuse making it a complete chore to try and finish a level sucking much of the fun out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Got the upper hand tonight, and then it was pretty easy pickings.

Not sure I've ever played the Soviet campaign, but I'll move on to that one next.

Edit: I remembered some cutscenes because of the chick that is Stalin's buddy, so I did play this a bit back in the 90's. Didn't take long to get to the first in-door level in the Soviet campaign last night after playing through the Allied campaign (Which wouldn't be so terrible, if they weren't timed), so I suspect this side will be easy to complete.

Not too crazy about the selection of weapons in this game, especially for the Soviet side. There's a bit more variety than the original, but most aren't useful enough to worry about.

I basically only build medium tanks for both sides, Apaches for the Allied side (The Soviet aerial options are weak), AA guns for the Allied side (Haven't been able to build SAM sites so far in the Soviet campaign, nor mammoth tanks), 4 or 5 Allied jeeps to get the stray soldier here and there harassing my harvesters, and a few pillboxes to get enemy pilots that survive being shot down over my base. And naval units only when necessary.

Many of the options like the minelayer or stationary gun emplacements (Which cost about what a tank does, yet aren't mobile, need electricity, and don't seem any more powerful than a tank gun), just aren't useful enough to bother with.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-19-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Level 12 of 14, already.

Either the Soviet campaign is really easy, or I'm getting much better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Both but it's also known the Soviet campaign was easier, or at least better balanced. If you start out playing as the good guys, it's very unbalanced and a bitch, just a lot harder, so it makes the enemy soviet side seem gentle and cupcake compared. At least I recall those discussions a long time ago, like I said, I never really touched it.