Thread: Final Fantasy 13. Not one, not two, but three garbage games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Final Fantasy 13. Not one, not two, but three garbage games.

This post is really just about Lightning Returns which I've just started and quit playing. FF13 was garbage, FF13-2 was worse, and for what we saw of Lightning Returns I really didn't think it could be as bad as the second. Square Enix never disappoints apparently, or is it always disappoints now that Sakaguchi is gone as they've made Lightning Returns as bad as 13-2.

Let me start with the combat, and I'll mention something as simple as moving around. There's no damn point to moving around the battlefield. Lightning literally moves as slow as molasses so any movement isn't going to make much if any difference in trying to get a better position, when she attacks or casts a spell, she'll dash forward or flip backwards which moves the character back further than you'd ever move by walking.

During the game you'll acquire 80 costumes, atleast according to the game itself, all of which are nothing more than stat modifiers. There's the very rare costume that has specific skills tied to them, and usually these are dlc costumes, but most everything you can acquire in game is something that you can move skills from costume to costume. So my dreams of Lightning Returns being the return of the FF10-2 amazing dress sphere system which gave reason to the multiple outfits was crushed, only to be replaced by a monotonous and boring system that you switch to the next piece of clothing, waste your atb, switch to the next, repeat. Such potential wasted.

The game has a time system that really feels like it's rushing you. Apparently you can finish all the quests with days to spare, but even so, the fact that you're running on a clock takes away from any exploration you'd like to do in town and such, and you're required to just dash everywhere. It's really stressful considering the twisting turning streets of the very first city you start at, or some really stupid design decisions where locations are locked down at a certain time, locations you're required to get to so you pretty much waste a day there. Not in the Warren when you do a required quest? Wait until 0:00, 18 hours from the start of the day to gain access.

The world itself isn't really poorly designed, but the execution of it is. There are dozens of NPCs walking around but the thing is, you can't talk to 99.9% of them. So why the hell does the minimap show green dots for every single one of them? Then if you happen to be signed in online sometimes they're players who have played the game will be walking as well, so you talk to them only to bring up the useless picture and a shop that take 30 hours to load the one item they're selling. If you've completed a task and have to bring something back to a character, there's no location marker that allows you to know where the character was at. The only locations that are noted are the shops, where an unlocked door is at, or where a train station is at. Oh and 100 green dots representing anything from the NPCs you can talk to or NPCs you can have no interaction with. It's like the mini map is there to hinder your progress rather than help.

It just blows my mind how much shit they've release after losing Sakaguchi. For such an amazing company in the past, they're constantly releasing games that aren't even half as good even their decent titles. They'll still release their one good title here and there, but it's like they release one or two awful games to every one decent game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

I've been saying this exact same speech for a long time about SquareEnix. They were the first company on my 'do not buy' list because everything from them is always a disappointment, and it continues to be when I ignore my own rules and buy something they publish anyway. For me, ever since Square merged with Enix is when they started producing trash. Given that point, Enix was a great company too before they merged with Square.

This company doesn't produce the quality and epic games that they published in the 90's and early 2000s. The SNES and Playstation generations was their golden years, and after that, they've aged like dried dog poop stuck in the sun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mostly trash, but they have their moments. Personally I liked FF13, at least until it got onto Pulse when it just gets overly hard and disjointed not being on an direct path. Also those theaterhythm games are fantastic.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I thought this was going to be about games you found in the trash

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

FF13 was one of the absolute biggest disappointments I've ever played in my life. Yes, it's linear, but so was FF10, and that game had enough to divert you and distract you (like Blitzball, which I still say deserves its own spin-off game) that you didn't mind too much. FF13 was just running down corridors, fighting and listening to deeply unlikeable characters whinge at each other. I never played 13-2 or LRFF13, and from the sounds of it I had a lucky escape.

The irony of all this is of course that I've logged over 100 hours on FF14 over the last 3 months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

FF13-2 and 3(Lightning Returns) addressed much of the complaints people had about the original with it having too much linearity, no towns, no npcs to bullshit with, and some of the other legit gripes. Whenever FF13-2 hits a nice 33-50% off sale on Steam I'm going to grab it as I missed out on it on PS3.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

So in other words, Lightning Returns is basically the Final Fantasy version of Majora's Mask?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

From what I've seen, these games are by Japan, for Japan. They really don't understand why Westerners don't like them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    From what I've seen, these games are by Japan, for Japan. They really don't understand why Westerners don't like them.
    Just because it isn't a good game doesn't mean it's a by Japan for Japan game. This comment right here is pretty much apathetic response saying it's okay that it's a garbage game because it probably wasn't aimed towards that player anyways. Square Enix isn't deliberately going to turn their biggest series into a something that only captures a niche market. Everything they've been doing with Final Fantasy has been in attempt to capture the largest market possible. Look at Final Fantasy 15 where they've changed it into an action game which has a single attack button, an evade button, auto drive, etc. They're trying to make the game accessible as many people as possible and I can guarantee that it's going to be a shitfest of epic proportions.

Lightning Returns and to a lesser, although not by much, extent, Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2, have gameplay elements that attempt to be incredibly deep, but the fact of that matter is, they couldn't be further from it as the combat turns to something that really has no gameplay for the player.

Doesn't matter if the game by a western developer, a Japanese developer, etc. I'll call a garbage game out as I see it. Infamous 2, Dragon Age, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Dragon's Crown, Yakuza 3, and Yakuza 4, and many other western and Japanese games were some of my favorite games of last gen. Additionally I've hated games this gen and last like Lightning Returns, One Piece Unlimited World Red, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk 2, Assassin's Creed series, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Infamous Second Son.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-31-2015 at 10:16 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Unrelated, but not a fan of Hyperdimension Neptunia? Why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Unrelated, but not a fan of Hyperdimension Neptunia? Why?
    Most RPGs last gen aren't as good as your average RPG on the PSX. Compile Heart couldn't make a game half as good as the last gens worst passable RPGs. The best they could do is make some mildly entertaining dialogue sequences here and there. Terrible world and dungeons with little to no exploration, terrible battle system. My PSN avatar is IF because it was my favorite character but yeah, game is complete garbage.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a bit intrigued by Final Fantasy XV since it is more open world, but I'll keep my optimism in check until more is known about it.