Thread: Fixing a SEGA CD2 that won't read discs?

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fixing a SEGA CD2 that won't read discs?

Hey, DP. Long time no post. Anyhoo, down to business:

I recently acquired a SEGA CD2+Genesis 2 combo on ebay for $60 described as working perfectly.

It was not.

That's behind me now, though, I got a full refund and got to keep the thing, with the seller hoping it could be fixed using the refunded cash.

The specific problem I have is that the system refuses to read any discs. When a disc is inserted, it will try to read it (the disc DOES spin up and spins up well) but gives up and goes to the music player with a "NO DISC" message when start is pressed. It's not the door that's the problem, as it recognizes very easily when said door is closed or open, and I've already tried cleaning off the lens with rubbing alcohol and nothing has changed. I tested 10 different legit SEGA CD games and all of them did pretty much the same thing, as well as a brand-new music CD that had never been played which did the same thing. I'm convinced the problem has to have something to do with the lens, but don't know where to go from here.

If necessary I can open the thing up. I've also got a broken model 1 that I still can't fix and I've opened it up dozens of times to try (if I can fix this M2, maybe I'll even get the confidence to try again!) and someone in this house can probably solder. I even ordered some gamebits recently to clean a few stubborn carts if they become necessary for the console too.

So...what do I do? I've got a $60 budget to fix the thing without paying more into it.

Thank you for any help in advance. If taking pictures or videos can help diagnose the exact issue easier, it's no problem at all.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Maybe the laser is dead, could you try replacing it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've certainly considered that, however I'd like to confirm the laser's dead before I spend ~$30 on a new one (I have been reading other threads about my issue and finally found a live link to one on eBay but it's pricey as hell) - I've tried tripping the stupid thing open as suggested but I can't figure out how.

I've also seen something come up occasionally involving rotating a POT by the laser inside the system 1/8 clockwise helping to get a SCD2 running properly again - can anyone confirm this actualy helps? A new laser can't do anything but good, but adjusting what's already there is what broke my model 1 more than it already was broken :P

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

OK this may sound dumb but, I have proven this to work at our local play n trade too many times.

Make sure the Sega and the CD unit have the proper power supply. Sometimes they can seem interchangeable only because on is worn down. I would check that first.

Secondly I would check the plastic gears inside. There is factory white grease in there that can harden and keep the lens case to travel properly. Heat it very carefully and pick it off with toothpicks of that's the case. Also if that was the problem, get some gun grease. Not oil. And lightly grease the gears.

I have done this to countless units. And usually its one of those two things. There was even a customer that said I was a stupid repair tech for telling him he was using the wrong power supply. After he bought and returned the same Sega CD bundle the third time we decided he wasn't allowed to buy it. The next customer who picked it up loves it and says it still plays like new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Checked and power supplies are correct, but...

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    Secondly I would check the plastic gears inside. There is factory white grease in there that can harden and keep the lens case to travel properly. Heat it very carefully and pick it off with toothpicks of that's the case. Also if that was the problem, get some gun grease. Not oil. And lightly grease the gears.
    Holy shit.

MY SEGA CD1 HAS THAT WHITE SHIT CAKED ALL OVER THE DISCTRAY GEARS AND SPIN-UP SCREW.

THIS IS WHAT'S BEEN MAKING THE GEAR SPIN WONKY.

I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS SUGGESTION BEFORE NO MATTER WHERE I'VE LOOKED BUT NOW I KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Words cannot describe how grateful I am for this info. I'll try it ASAP on the model 1 and then open up the model 2 to see if it has the same issue.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 02-01-2015 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

ok buddy the spindel hubs on model 2 sega cd has been pushed down over time i had a saturn or two like this.
    model one drive has a timeing cog a pain in the ass drive.
    i have a spare model one drive but needs a new jvc optima 5 laser.