Thread: Original Xbox and gamecube NTSC, is it possible to get RGB connection through scart?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Original Xbox and gamecube NTSC, is it possible to get RGB connection through scart?

Hi I finally hooked up all my old favorite consoles on my sony pvm, I got ps2+genesis (JVC Xeye)+Saturn all plugged in with scart cables, and Xbox+gamecube+dreamcast+n64+snes hooked up with svideo cables with a nice Joytech av selector to plug em all on my pvm. I know i can mod my n64 to get RGB but not sure im willing to spend money for this (dont play it much, n64 aged badly IMO), but what about gamecube and original xbox? Can I connect a backward compatible wii with scart?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Only a PAL Gamecube will give you RGB over SCART. NTSC Cube is no more than S-Video. Xbox will give you RGB over SCART I believe, but it won't be 480p.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

no need for 480p, doesnt work on pvm! 480i looks great on these monitors! so my best option for gamecube would be to import a pal modified console that works with ntsc games, but can someone tell me if xbox is rgb compatible? and where can i buy cables for xbox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    no need for 480p, doesnt work on pvm! 480i looks great on these monitors! so my best option for gamecube would be to import a pal modified console that works with ntsc games, but can someone tell me if xbox is rgb compatible? and where can i buy cables for xbox
    Xbox is RGB capable. However, unless you can find an RGB SCART cable, you'll have to make one. There are three mode pins that determines what video signal to output. Attach all three to ground to do RGB. The Xbox looks nice in RGB (your milage may vary depending on monitor though).
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    Xbox is RGB capable. However, unless you can find an RGB SCART cable, you'll have to make one. There are three mode pins that determines what video signal to output. Attach all three to ground to do RGB. The Xbox looks nice in RGB (your milage may vary depending on monitor though).
    Thanks for the info just bought this, 7.99 free shipping! http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-ft-1-8m-RG...item2a47589d3b

Now it looks like gamecube is going to cost me a lot more....

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Thanks for the info just bought this, 7.99 free shipping! http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-ft-1-8m-RG...item2a47589d3b

Now it looks like gamecube is going to cost me a lot more....
    Hope it works well, doesn't look like there's enough shielding (wire is thin).
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Hope it works well, doesn't look like there's enough shielding (wire is thin).
    I bought all my cables on ebay for cheap prices, and they all work great, no signal loss in quality that i could tell. Cheap scart cables on pvm are a lot better than composite on hdtv!!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

You can get RGB out of an NTSC-U, but it involves someone splicing together the digital and analog cables into one Scart block. So you need a Cube with a digital out port. Needless to say, I can imagine trying to make such a cable today (or trying to find one) is going to be both hard and expensive, because it requires getting a digital/component cable. The process needs that chip. I know it's possible because I own one such cable! Was using it for my NTSC Cube before I got a TV with a component input.

Here's a page about making it: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/ntsc-gamecube-rgb-cable/

As you note, it might be cheaper for you to import a PAL Cube modded with a Qoob chip or similar, and use a standard Cube RGB cable instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You can get RGB out of an NTSC-U, but it involves someone splicing together the digital and analog cables into one Scart block. So you need a Cube with a digital out port. Needless to say, I can imagine trying to make such a cable today (or trying to find one) is going to be both hard and expensive, because it requires getting a digital/component cable. The process needs that chip. I know it's possible because I own one such cable! Was using it for my NTSC Cube before I got a TV with a component input.

Here's a page about making it: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/ntsc-gamecube-rgb-cable/

As you note, it might be cheaper for you to import a PAL Cube modded with a Qoob chip or similar, and use a standard Cube RGB cable instead.
    yes the component cables are over 300$ on ebay and on my local ads, its crazy. I think ill import a cube or try to find a pal locally, and mod it. Or a pal wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Getting RGB out of an NTSC GameCube is difficult because of the cost of the rare Component Video cable and the modification necessary to get the right signals. I was fortunate enough to get about three of them just as Nintendo stopped making them and before the cost shot sky high. I managed to make a page at the GamesX Wiki on modifying the cable for RGB use if that may be of some use here. I believe that there are some people trying to make HDMI adapters to replace the Component Video cable and make it easier to use the GameCube on higher end sets (I don't know how far they are at this point though). There are adapters to make VGA (31KHz RGB) out of HDMI signals but I don't know of any that would make HDMI signals into standard 15KHz RGB signals.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

They are expensive, but RGB is only going to get you 480i and not 480p on that generation of systems (GBC, XBOX, PS2). Even Dreamcast (VGA for 480p).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I know its only 480i, but the image is much sharper with scart vs svideo. And I prefer 480i on my pvm vs 480p on a modern tv, it just looks better imo. The only games that look better is 720p games for original xbox, but they are very few that support it. The Warriors looks very good with component cables, but all systems before 360 feels better on my 4:3 pvm, with a couple of exceptions especially on xbox.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I know its only 480i, but the image is much sharper with scart vs svideo. And I prefer 480i on my pvm vs 480p on a modern tv, it just looks better imo. The only games that look better is 720p games for original xbox, but they are very few that support it. The Warriors looks very good with component cables, but all systems before 360 feels better on my 4:3 pvm, with a couple of exceptions especially on xbox.
    Ah, a PVM, yeah SCART is fine then, since the screen isn't that big. Why Nintendo made the Gamecube video output so frigging idiotic I'll never understand.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Can you get RGB out of an NTSC Wii? If so that might be easier than importing a modded PAL cube, even if just to use it for BC. Though if you have or plan to use a Gameboy Player with your setup than that wouldn't work.