Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MGS3 Subsistence

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default MGS3 Subsistence

What can i expect from Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For me, I didn't really like the game outside of the story and graphics. I didn't like the stealth in this game because you had to wait 5 minutes or so before you could pass and even when it seemed like you were going to get by without being seen, they caught me, every damn time. Yeah, I'm not good at MGS after the first. Storyline was amazing and one of the best storylines in a video game.

Or are you asking about the extras? You can play it in overhead or behind the back third person. The second disc includes all the cutscenes, also includes Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, and challenge levels where you try to capture the Ape Escape monkeys.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-31-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back to basics after the whole Raiden thing - probably the best in the whole series.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

A good game. Loved MGS 3 for the PS2. My next favorite after MGS 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't Subsistence the version that comes with the MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake?

I'd say that's reason enough to own it.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is one of my favorite games ever made. I really can not recommend this game enough.

The changes they made in Subsistence really made 3 even better. I really miss the great online mode.

Android Game for all

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

This belonged in Modern Gaming. It has been moved to there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*insert long-winded arguments about PS2 being retro here*
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Isn't Subsistence the version that comes with the MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake?

Yeah it is.

Insert Coin (Level 0) KlytusImBored's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CannonballComin
    PSN
    c4ontheriver
    Steam
    CannonballComin

I fell in love with it when I played it back when it came out. The "Bond" credits and song, the period setting, controllable camera, memorable characters...everything was great. I still have that on PS2 and the HD Collection on X360 but haven't played it in years. Can't say how it holds up, but I can't imagine it's too outdated. In my opinon it's worlds better than MGS2.

Point is - expect a very well executed, and fun experience.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post

Truth

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    Back to basics after the whole Raiden thing - probably the best in the whole series.
    I don't think "back to basics" means what you think it does. That would entail they removed all the new gameplay features they added in MGS2, when in actuality they made it more complicated.

As to the topic question, what I want to know is the context.

Is the author saying "I played MGS 1 and 2 and I'm wondering if I'll like 3?"

Or is he asking

"I already own MGS3, should I upgrade to Subsistence?"

I agree with people that Subsistence is worth owning just for the MSX games (make sure you're specifically getting the 2-disc version. The 1-disc version from the trilogy box set does NOT have the MSX games). I disagree about the quality of the game though. I fucking hated MGS3. It took gameplay mechanics that used to be straightforward and almost arcade-like, and made it more like Splinter Cell, then added other stupid crap on top of it and messed up all the things that worked just fine. The one good thing about it is the story (as usual) but its a case where you have to suffer through the gameplay for it.

All you have to do is compare the sniper battle from the original MGS to the one in MGS3 to see how shitty 3 is in comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Never played original MGS3. Last MGS game I played was 1 some time ago. Forget where my saved game is. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Personally I feel like MGS2 was the last truly great entry in the series (though some of the later ones were playable). People couldn't get over Raiden or the other baby things they whine about.

It's a good example of the problem with gamers. They clamour for innovation and mature, quality storytelling that's willing to make them think, but when they actually get it they bitch and moan and show that all they wanted all along was a puerile dick-fantasy (which some of Kojima's later games actually poke fun at, deservedly so. The unzipped-shirt chick in MGS3 is the kind of thing I would normally hate, except here its done as a commentary on gamers and how they'll like anything that has boobs. You actually have to intentionally choose to see the sexier angles).

But yeah, you might enjoy MGS3 if you can get past its hangups, but I highly recommend playing the series in order from MGS1 (its up to you if you want to play the MSX games, since you can read summaries of them from the main menu of MGS1 and the one for MG2 actually provides a retcon, but the games themselves are still awesome).

The Gameboy Color game is also worth checking out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Personally I feel like MGS2 was the last truly great entry in the series
    Really? I always hated MGS2, I started a new game many times but just never got into it. I finally finished it last week for the first time, and what a shitty story this game has, makes no F*** sense at all! It feels like they rushed the game and made up a quick ending when you climb the last ladder and end up in a VR world called arsenal gear's rectum! The final battle was a major letdown and the ending...WTF!!! and for you people who never got there, im not making this up! And the world map feels very limited, i never suspected the entire game was on the tanker, MGS3 is by far my favorite in the series. MGS was great in 98, but now its aged a little, still 100X better than 2. I also finished it 3 weeks ago on gamecube, now im playing 4 before phantom pain comes out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

See, that there is what I mean. It doesn't hand you all the answers like an episode of Scooby Doo, so it "makes no F*** sense at all" even though it actually does. I certainly never ended the game with any questions.

Also BTW, why is "the entire game being on the tanker" (which its not, BTW--remember the part on the ship?) a bad thing when the first MGS also was entirely in one location, just some base out in the middle of the arctic?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I quit MGS2 after defusing the bombs. And yes, the reason was because I couldn't stand receive a codec every two seconds only for Raiden to cry like a bitch about how his girlfriend is working on a switchboard a million miles away. Oh no, it's so dangerous because you're "communicating" with Raiden, when in all actuality the person is probably on the other side of the world.

Those codecs came up every couple minutes and they lasted for a few minutes each time they came up. There's a reason to bitch about it, because it's an annoying as hell occurrence that happens way too often for long periods of time. It's like if I told you to play a game that was a pos for two hours straight but after that two hours it was decent. Would you ignore the fact that the first two hours was a pos? Of course you wouldn't and if the later portions of the game weren't good enough to save the game from that shitty opening, then that two hours would more than likely be your biggest reasoning behind the game being a pos.

MGS2s biggest flaw is Raiden and the constant bitching and moaning. What's worse is that the demo of the game you played as Snake on the tanker at the beginning of the game and the first part of the game was great. You'd have assumed the rest of the game was just as good, but no, a big pile of sh*t.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's like if I told you to play a game that was a pos for two hours straight but after that two hours it was decent. Would you ignore the fact that the first two hours was a pos? Of course you wouldn't and if the later portions of the game weren't good enough to save the game from that shitty opening, then that two hours would more than likely be your biggest reasoning behind the game being a pos.

It is the same with TV shows. There have been a couple of shows where it took me a few episodes to get in the groove of the characters. Same for books, comics and a million other things.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a more challenging game than MGS2 because you don't have the radar up in the corner of the screen, I also found the boss fights more challenging than MGS2 or MGS1. The camouflage system and collecting food are pretty cool elements. The story is also simpler to follow and doesn't go off in a million different directions like MGS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The complaints about the frequent codec calls are fair enough, I suffer a similar annoyance with RPGs that have a full-motion video or an uninteractive cutscene every five minutes (putting down Final Fantasy X because it really did feel like a movie for the most part).

That said:

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I quit MGS2 after defusing the bombs. And yes, the reason was because I couldn't stand receive a codec every two seconds only for Raiden to cry like a bitch about how his girlfriend is working on a switchboard a million miles away. Oh no, it's so dangerous because you're "communicating" with Raiden, when in all actuality the person is probably on the other side of the world.
    If you're going to complain about the content of the codec calls, try remembering it. He never worries about Rose's safety. He's concerned about her perception of him, what she thinks of his actions (IE freaking out that she might see him as a horrific killer after he disposes of bodies and such). While it can be annoying, it's an integral part of his character--the whole point, after all, is that this is his first real mission after being trained essentially on video games, and seeing the ramifications of his doings for the first time.

Besides, the "take good care of your box and it will take care of you!" speech makes it all worth while

It's like if I told you to play a game that was a pos for two hours straight but after that two hours it was decent. Would you ignore the fact that the first two hours was a pos?
    It's weird how often I do in fact hear people say "it gets better" unironically. And yet, it's not just a cheap blind--plenty of things do in fact start out not at their best. I remember an Amazon reviewer once saying they got bored of Lord of the Rings at the part titled "Concerning Pipe-weed,"... which is in the fucking introduction and isn't even an actual part of the story, just bonus information you might like to know.

So yes, I would give that game a fair chance.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Jive3D; 05-27-2020 at 07:03 PM.