Classic Gaming Ink/Sticker Removal

Ink, stickers, and labels are the arch enemies of any video game collector. Many collectors share their strategies to rid themselves of these pests, but many times they end up with scarring on their plastics and labels. I would like to help ease these frustrations by sharing methods that have helped me to eradicate these issues in the past. I have used the following processes on my collection of over 500 NES games and various other systems, and I have made all of the mistakes so you don’t have to. First I will begin with a list of the cleaning tools that I like to keep in my arsenal.

1. 70% rubbing alcohol (91% tends to discolor the plastic)
2. cotton swabs
3. rags
4. goo gone/lighter fluid
5. magic eraser
6. pencil erasers, various types
7. tape
8. heat gun
9. Novus plastic polish system

NOTES: Most of these methods have been used on Nintendo products, as that is the vast majority of my collection. But I am sure they would be fine for other systems. As always, use caution when cleaning and pay attention to the results.

Removing ink from Plastics.

Ink is tough, especially when it has been on there since the 80's.The first step in removing the majority of ink, even permanent ink, is to wipe it with rubbing alcohol. You should see most of the surface ink come off in this first step. Unfortunately the ink has been on there for so long that it has crept into the pores of the plastic. If not then you are done!! But most likely you will have to proceed.

First I will discuss what I have found to work best for me on my game plastics. At this point I am sure you have a beautifully textured surface on your plastic, as most games do, and the ink stains are down in there between the bumps in the plastic On a side note, notice that no one writes their names on their stuff anymore these days... I am not sure what people were thinking back then, and I have always thought it was a stupid idea, but you don’t see cell phones with peoples' names written on them in permanent marker!?! But I digress.

For deep down ink stains the first thing you can do is try a VERY LIGHT scouring with a magic eraser soaked in rubbing alcohol. The eraser provides a light abrasive action and the rubbing alcohol a solvent. I do stress the light pressure that you must use because the magic eraser WILL remove the texture from the plastic and smooth it out. This is something that you cannot remedy. So take it easy.

As using a magic eraser is the quickest way to do the job if it provides you with results, a less abrasive and more controlled method is to use a progression of different pencil erasers to slowly remove plastic until the ink is gone without removing the texture of the plastic. The steps in this process are as follows.

1. clean the area with rubbing alcohol
2. thoroughly rub the ink spot with a white plastic type pencil erase
3. clean the eraser shavings from the area with rubbing alcohol and repeat this process with a pink pencil eraser.
4. repeat steps 1-3 until the ink is removed to your liking.
5. Once the ink is removed, you will be left with a spot that has a dull finish, but the texture should still be in tact. If there is no texture then you went WAAAAAYYYYYYY overboard with the erasers. This is where the Novus polish comes in. Apply a dab of the #2 polish to the spot and buff it around with a clean rag until left with a haze. Kind of like waxing a car, but with more pressure applied. Wipe the haze away with a clean rag and repeat this process with Novus #1. Rotate between #1 and #2 until the desired shine is achieved, finishing with #1 to clean the surface.

This process is very effective with any textured plastic, but can take a bit more time. The results are worth it.

Removing Ink From Game Labels

Most of the time it is best to leave the ink on labels alone. I know most people don't want to hear this, but it is true. Most labels are sensitive to rubbing alcohol and/or the rubbing required to remove the ink from the label. That combination will usually do more harm to the label then you had originally intended. Personally I have learned this lesson the hard way far too many times. My advice is to clean lightly with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol. If you notice no change, or the label art coming off, STOP! Vandalized art is better than no art at all. Unless you like to remove your game labels all together and write the name of the game in permanent marker, or you know of a more effective cleaning agent. If so, let me know and I can stop ruining labels

Label/Sticker Removal

Labels are the other enemy in this cleaning battle. What makes us cringe more then a thin paper label that tears away and leaves behind a mess of stuck paper and adhesive? Oh wait, rental and warranty security stickers are worse! Here is where we tackle these dirty scoundrels. In my usual easy to hard fashion, I will list the methods that I have found most effective in that order

First is the use of rubbing alcohol and goo gone/lighter fluid. What I have found to work the best in using these agents is to soak the offending label with a cotton swab dampened with rubbing alcohol. If the label is stuck to the game's label, try not to get the rubbing alcohol on or under the game's label. You don’t want to bring the label art ink with the adhesive as you remove it. Start by letting the offending label soak for a minute, then try peeling it back with a finger nail. It should release nicely leaving only an adhesive residue. IF there are paper bits left, wet them with a bit more rubbing alcohol and gently scrape them away. Once you are left with only adhesive, we a cotton swab with goo gone or lighter fluid. Rub the adhesive away with light pressure, being careful not to get it under the game's label. Once you are satisfied, wipe the greasy residue away with some rubbing alcohol. You can use this same process if the offending label is on the plastic, and you just don't have to worry about the label underneath.

You can also use the previous label removal procedure on those ridiculous “VOID” type security labels. But the cleanup after you remove the actual label takes a bit more time. DO NOT PERFORM THAT PROCESS IF THE VOID LABEL IS ON THE GAME'S LABEL. Chances are that you will be destroying the game's label. Perhaps you should just avoid buying games that are in this condition. You can also use tape to help remove the resulting security adhesive by dabbing a strip of tape into the adhesive and pulling it away. If all else fails, turn to the heat gun method.

I recommend an actual heat gun because if you are turning to its usage, then you have a really ornery label. I once pointed a hair dryer at a label for 20 minutes and nothing happened... So start your heat gun on its lowest heat setting and move up from there. The label should start to peel off within 20 seconds once you reach the appropriate temperature. This is especially effective on cardboard boxes, although you must be careful not to turn up the heat too much because a heat gun WILL cause cardboard to catch fire or scortch. I have also had good luck peeling back labels from boxes slowly while chasing it with a rubbing alcohol dipped cotton swab.

Once last digression before finishing this how to up. Like writing your name on your stuff with permanent marker, why did any business think it made sense to put “VOID” labels on their games. I mean, if someone is going to keep the game from the rental store, does it really matter if that sticker is there? The games still works, and the thief probably doesn't care if the sticker is there or if they have to ruin the aesthetics of the game by tearing it off. Oh well, I am only trying to help you remedy these crimes against the video game community, and these are the steps that do me well when adding new items to my collection. I have never come across anything that I could not tackle.

As usual, leave any comments and corrections in replies to this thread.