Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or does Ultimate NES Remix work better than the WiiU junk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Is it me or does Ultimate NES Remix work better than the WiiU junk?

I had the NES Remix vol1 on my WiiU, bought that as it came out, also the last download I think I did too. Try as I may with that game I kept blowing obvious timing based things (which is most of the game, it's like wario ware meets the NES) I know for a fact I don't suck at as I have/had the originals still. I eventually maybe with just 20% of the stars got pissed off and put it away for good.

I got in the mail last week the Ultimate NES Remix I picked up new online. I've only played it twice so far, but I've already racked up stars up to around 80~ as I last unlocked Punchout. Other than just me being slow on one event I've pulled 3 stars or even 3 rainbow stars(mix) on anything I've done so far. It handles like an NES game, not an NES game caught in a time distortion.

Has anyone else noticed this who has the game on 3DS? I find it very interesting because I'm fairly sensitive to lag, and I had to do a lot of research when I had to replace my TV a year ago due to an accident finding one with a 25ms input lag rating on displaylag.com's database (the best until you get into the sub-20ms special processor expensive Sony tvs at the time.) On that one I can pull off tricky timing based stuff in stock mode in most cases, the few rarities like a music timing game or a space shooter, game mode takes the display lag even lower so it's good either way. I know it's not in my head so I'm wondering if the Wii game just wasn't coded or optimized well as it was awful on the controller and not much better on the TV.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Have you tried playing the WiiU version off screen on the gamepad to take the TV out of the equation? Or you could get some composite cables and connect the WiiU to an old CRT if you still have one sitting somewhere. Just to see if your TV's at fault or the game/system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I went between off tv play and also using a normal controller on the TV, it still lagged just not as bad. Since I am very comfortable with the timing of the games from years of the originals it was just a hot mess for me. Thankfully my gamble paid off because the 3DS game I don't have the slip ups.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have had more Wii U problems than I think I have ever had with any console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had a system update brick partially the system, that's it.

NES Remix is just an issue with input lag versus what is on screen. Given how sensitive NES games timing are it's not surprising playing off-tv or even using a wireless controller would give some sort of minute delay. On the 3DS it's designed for closed hardware so it can very easily be dealt with to get a pure 1:1 response time.

Are you just trolling for trolling sake because I'd be shocked if you have never found another person who had some sort of WiiU issue at least once or twice. This had nothing to even do with the WiiU exactly, it was about the Remix game download, that's it. Clearly you have got a hard on for harassing me or blowing Nintendo when it comes to that system and you really should just relax and let it go.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

that's odd, I haven't noticed any major input lag issues and I notice input lag in super Mario all stars for SNES.
    I usually do off tv play but I am pretty close to the system too and I didn't notice it. I know its there but its manageable and don't notice it.

I have both aswell. did you get your famicom theme for the 3ds or did you get it after that was a thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

After a thing? The Famicom theme unless it's limited is a code printed on the inside of the cover art flap along with the Club Nintendo code too. The day I bought the game I put the Famicom theme on my old 3DSXl and left it there through the system transfer.

As far as the remix download(wiiu) vs 3ds ultimate remix I don't know more than what I had go on with my launch system at the time and it was a first day download purchase for that game too. I don't know why I had it happen, but I also found the Wii Super Mario Allstars throughly unplayable on a TV I own, but not on another, yet I didn't figure that out until selling it off then getting another copy a few years and a newer TV later.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The Famicom theme is available until December 2015 and can't be purchased through the Theme Shop - it is only available through the codes given out with copies of Ultimate NES Remix.

It's good to know that the 3DS version is worth getting. I don't have a Wii U but I was interested in the two NES Remix releases for it, and thanks to the 3DS release I can get one. But the "Ultimate" NES Remix doesn't include all of the content of the two Wii U ones, so it is good to know that the unadvertised bonus of reduced input/output lag might just make this release the "ultimate" one after all even if not in terms of content

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good point, but from what I recall being said was that Nintendo did some market testing in various areas (I guess Japan and US) with Remix 1 and 2 and found out that some of the remixes weren't all that fun or well balanced as most the others, same goes for some of the normal challenges. The 3DS game addressed that buy removing the worst of them, doctoring/fixing some of the good but questionable, and then retained most of the contents of the console games. It's like in a way an ultimate (or perfect) edition as it tweak things to a comfy medium and jumbled it all into one package.

I didn't know that theme was active for an entire year from release so that's cool. It's very worth getting. The music on it is pretty nice, the little character pop out in 3D mode pretty well too, and the red/white color scheme seems better than the default menu too.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Tanooki, it's odd that you have this thread active right now. You aren't crazy. I just had the same problem on my Wii U. Here's my story: I had been playing Super Smash Bros. for 3DS since it came out, and actually gotten pretty good. I could beat a level 9 CPU about half of the time, and had 80% of the challenges complete.

When I got the Wii U version, I noticed that it took me quite a few tries to unlock some stuff. I couldn't beat level 9 CPUs. I couldn't land attacks as accurately as on 3DS. I chalked it down to Nintendo ramping up the difficulty in the game, being a console version.

It wasn't until I tried playing Super Mario 3D World again until I noticed something was wrong. I was doing far worse on this game than on either of the Super Mario Galaxy games. Mario's jumps seemed a little delayed. I thought maybe I was imagining it, or that was just how the game was.

Like you, I researched TV's on DisplayLag.com before I bought one. I poured over my options time and time again. I probably spent months making my decision on it. For reference, I chose a Sony KDL-40W600B, rated 29ms on DisplayLag.com This was the best option for 40" TV's for me.

I am also sensitive to input lag. It's why I ditched my old TV and got the Sony. I must say, after tinkering with some settings, I could not perceive a difference between the Sony TV and my Asus MX239H, the smaller version of DisplayLag.com's best recorded display.

So, by now, I had the TV out of the equation. It just wasn't possible, not after playing PC games on this TV for months. Maybe that's just how Wii U is, I thought. But after work today, I went and tried the demos for Smash and 3D World at Best Buy. Everything worked wonderfully at the Best Buy demo. By now, I was at my wit's end. Even my gamepad screen lagged, and theirs didn't.

Hold on, my gamepad display lagged? The gamepad display is supposed to be nearly lagless! The only thing that could make the gamepad lag is if there was something interfering with the wireless... Wait, doesn't my TV have wi-fi? What happens if I disable to wi-fi on my TV?

BINGO! The wireless connection on my TV had been interfering with my controllers the whole time. While it's still not as lagless as the 3DS version, I'm now much better at Smash and 3D World.

So, here's what you do, if you haven't tried:
    -Change the input label to "Game" or "PC"
    -Disable any post-processing effects on your TV, such as Clear White, Black Correction, Clarity Enhancer, etc.
    -Turn off the wi-fi on your TV if you have a smart TV. Also keep away/turn off anything else that uses a wireless RF signal.

I hope this helps. I didn't notice a smart TV could cause this kind of issue, and it was the last thing I thought to check.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I actually wrote this to you in private, but felt it good to put this in here too since you did all that effort and it may work for others.

I'm not sure it would help, my TV broke a year ago (kid took it out) and I did hit that site and bought the 29" Vizio on there with the 25ms display lag to it, the best you can buy until you get into the double priced Sony models with the lag processor they added for touchy gamers. I still had the problem, and the prior tv i had was an mid 2000s Panasonic Viera that had so little lag I never had a problem and played the same on a CRT I had next to it. I verified it on that one because I could check the ms lagging times with Beatles Rockband and Guitar Hero 3. Good call though.

Yes I do have a tv with wifi on it now, but the older one was bare bones and easily I could (and default left off) all the added processing. Most games work on this new tv just fine stock, only the most twitchy sensitive (guitaroo man pS2, and shooters) were still a problem, so I did use the Game mode that disabled more than normal menu based disabling does and they're fine. I still had the problem. I don't have the wifi on the tv active, seemed useless and obtrusive since I already have a PS4 wired into the TV for movies so I don't need 2 netflix boxes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm playing through Ultimate NES Remix at the moment, and cannot recommend it at all. I'm going to try to finish it, but I don't think I can hold out that long. Some of the remix content is vaguely clever (the SMB3 boss rush was kind of cool, and there are a few neat twists on Dr. Mario) but there's not nearly enough to make up for the rest of the package. Too many of the stages require too much precision to complete with the highest grade; the worst offenders are Punch Out and Balloon Fight.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess I must be better than I thought. Because they're shorter I intentionally ranked those through entirely and I've become more pissed at the screwball remixes more than anything else, though the last one for DK is pure bullshit because the speed you need, you need the fireball guys on the last stage in their randomness of movement to go the right way or it's a 2 star every time. I got fed up with it for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Grablarghpth. After screaming bloody murder at this game and abusing several of my fingers I finally finished that last god-damn Balloon Fight stage.

And then I looked at a FAQ and learned that the freakin' B button is a turbo function.

This game, man.

(And Super Glass Joe appears to be nothing more than hitting the A button at juuuust the right frame. This game. )
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    But the "Ultimate" NES Remix doesn't include all of the content of the two Wii U ones

I bought both of them on Wii U on their respective release dates, but probably have only spent 3-4 hours on each. Never played the 3DS version.

My immediate reaction on the first was to question why certain games were included that could only be considered classics or popular by a wild stretch of imagination. Obviously they couldn't just put the cream of the crop in the first entry and B-tier releases in the sequel so I can understand that. Was that the only reason?

Then I noticed all the games on part one were available on the Wii U Virtual Console. Same for the second, they waited until they were all available to buy on VC before releasing it. No games are included you couldn't immediately buy on VC.

So is that the deal on the 3DS version? Were the excluded games not available on the 3DS VC so they got the axe? Or did they actually remove shitty games that nobody cared for?

Either way I think it's rather lame and an extremely greedy move to only include games basically used as a well disguised and frontend integrated advertisement. I see the reasoning but I wish they didn't feel feel so bound by it.

Side rant: I constantly read people (mostly Nintendo) using the 3DS horsepower as an excuse as to why we only have basically 3 systems on the VC. Am I really supposed to believe a professional development team cannot get other systems running properly on this yet amateur coders with no official SDKs can get such a wide range of platforms running damn near perfect on the friggin' ancient 10+ year old hardware of a PSP? Is my 200mhz Pentium 1 with 16mb of RAM a more powerful emulating platform?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

To the last part I think it's just an excuse and lack of interest. Considering what Flubba and Loopy pulled off on the GBA a decade ago with going as far as rough SNES emulation, rough Genesis emulation, and full PCE/TG16 emulation including running ISOs of disc based games, it's pure bullshit. I just don't think they care enough to bother because if anyone could pull off the mother of all optimized emulators it's Nintendo since they hold all the cards as far as system information goes.

I know the excuse floating around about the GBA on 3DS was the fact the games they did get working required little to no effort at all due to how they were coded because the information could be run over the 3DS ARM chips (which are advanced versions of the GBA stuff) and it worked. That's why the games are so random in selection. I'm sure if they wanted to they could code up an interpreter to take modified/dropped/changed calls from the old ARM chip so the newer could do it, but they just don't want to. As far as the SNES goes I can't see any reason at all if the crappy old hardware of the GBA could run the SNES with speed hacks with no audio present at 80-100% of normal speed. I used to keep F-Zero, Final Fantasy 2, and Mario on a build and they were ok enough to not suck when I bothered.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have always found controls to be more accurate and have less lag on handhelds. I found plaforming in the GBA version of Super Mario World so simple that I got to the end in 45 minutes even though I never even owned the SNES orginal. The same thing goes for the Super Mario Bros 3 remake on GBA (never owned an NES until 2010).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dinolazer View Post
    I found plaforming in the GBA version of Super Mario World so simple that I got to the end in 45 minutes even though I never even owned the SNES orginal.
    Technically that version was made slightly easier. (Caped Mario and Fire Mario revert to Super Mario when hit; in the original, Mario shrinks right away.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm glad that I found the retail compilation for the Wii U satisfactory, since it saved me a lot of hassle since otherwise I might've unknowingly bought the 3DS version after reading this thread. That's because I just saw someone complaining that Nintendo forced the A & B button designations for NES titles to match their locations on the 3DS.

That single issue, without any button customization, makes this thread all but invalid as I see it. While the Wii U counterpart also does this, it also at least has the option to use a sideways Wiimote, which restores a comfortable button layout.

It's also why I've ignored Game Boy and Game Boy Color downloads on the 3DS, despite 7 or 8 games that I'd otherwise of bought here for use on my XL, with its much larger screen than my backlit SP. The lack of button customization to restore comfort and playability in these instances where Nintendo insists upon matched up button lettering, is a killer.

Sadly, it almost never became an issue, as seen by magazine scans from back in the day of prototype Super Famicom controllers, that placed the B button in today's Y locations, while A was located where B now is.

Moving away from that before release is a idiotic decision that has haunted Nintendo handhelds ever since the DS appeared and introduced the SuperNes layout to Nintendo handhelds (The Wii Virtual Console with NES titles also suffers with Classic Controllers, but the sideways Wiimote option saves it; They at least got it right back in the day with Super Mario All-Stars and the optional control layout on the Super Game Boy).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-14-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't see an issue, just rock your thumb left<->right instead of tip/base of the thumb on y and b. It works perfectly comfortable that way.