0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MasquedWarrior
    PSN
    MasquedWarrior
    Steam
    MasquedWarrior

Default Mega Man 9, WiiWare Recommendations

I recently acquired a used Wii, and it was only after I acquired the Wii that I found out that it has 1600 Wii points on it! I was thinking of using the points to buy a Wiiware game or two, but I wasn’t sure on which one(/s) to get.

The most obvious choice would be Mega Man 9. The only reason why I’m hesitating at all is that I also have a lot of credit on my Xbox LIVE account. I was thinking that I might rather use the credit on my Xbox LIVE account to get Mega Man 9 for the Xbox 360, and save my Wii points for something else; such as a Wii-exclusive title.

So, does the Xbox 360 version of MM9 have a better framerate, or any other such inherent advantages? The game’s listing at the Xbox LIVE Marketplace states that the game runs at 720p, which I know higher than 480p, which is the maximum resolution that the Wii supports. However, I tried the demo for the Xbox 360, and it did not look like 720p; it looked distorted and pixelated. I’m quite certain that it was actually running at a much lower resolution; upscaled to 720p. The Wiiware version of the game has no demo, so I cannot run the two in order to compare them to each other.

I want to stress that I am NOT asking for recommendations with regard to the merits of the Xbox 360 controller versus the Wii remote. I do not plan to use either of those controllers to play Mega Man 9; I plan to rewire an NES controller in order to map its buttons to either an Xbox 360 controller PCB or a Wii Classic controller PCB.

I also am interested in recommendations for any good Wiiware titles that are Wii-exclusive, (or that were at least originally released for Wiiware preferably titles that have NOT also been released as on-disc games. If the game came out as a retail disc game, I’d rather just buy it in that form, so that I’d have a DRM-free copy of it.

Thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Castlevania adventure rebirth. Its a remake/remaster of the first castlevania for the original game boy and exclusive to wii. It looks good, its fun and challenging. This one is instabuy if you are a fan of the series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcOYRXc6cM0

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Softmod the Wii, you can play any WiiWare you want.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Check your Wii's download history via the Wii Shop. If there's 1600 points on there that are unused, I bet the previous owner made purchases that were stored on his SD Card and simply removed his SD card before selling it, requiring you to merely select to redownload them free of charge. Seems peculiar to have points tied to it yet never have bought anything digitally.

Plus, I'm unaware of how you could even purchase 1600 points since the closest increment that you could buy them to the best of my knowledge was 2,000 points, which means he must've made purchases in order to arrive at this balance. And since the Wii hasn't been reformatted (If it was, those unused points would've also gone poof), the downloads also remain tied to it and can be redownloaded by you.

With its popularity, Mega Man 9 might even already be accessible on it without making a purchase.

Edit: That's of course assuming that you don't already see any digital content on it, a fact I just realized that you didn't mention. But even if there were downloads already on it, a look around your download history might be worthwhile since he might've not had everything present that he had purchased on the Wii's flash memory when he sold it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-04-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I'll second Castlevania Rebirth, as well as Contra & Gradius Rebirth. Although I do not know the current asking price of them they're all Wii exclusives and are fairly good if you like the original series. Excitebike World Rally is pretty good as well.

Beyond those 4 games, Megaman, and the Warioware game I never found much else of the WiiWare library that appealed to me.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

The two Lost Winds games are pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just get it on 360 or whatever else, not the Wii. I'll second and third the call for the Konami Rebirth games (Castlevania, Contra, and Gradius) since they're excellent titles just on there to grab. Also if you were into odd pinball, a 3D recreation of the old Devils Crush/Alien Crush TG16 pinball games are on the Wii too, I had one and it's fun. You're best looking for games just on Wii that's not on other hardware you have so you get the best value.

Nintendolife.com has a fantastic database you can sort and sub-sort for WiiWare, VC, etc and it'll put the games A-Z or however you want with the rating right there, you can click in for the full review. Find something that looks good and read up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Just get it on 360 or whatever else, not the Wii.
    Nintendo's d-pads won out for me when they were new, despite my usual method of going with an HD version with friendlier DRM by buying a multiplatform download on the 360 or PS3.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Softmod the Wii, you can play any WiiWare you want.
    This.