Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Larz 314
    PSN
    larz314

Default Pikmin 3

It's $100 bucks on Amazon.....what gives?
    George Plimpton was right! But who the hell is George Plimpton???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo, in their infinite wisdom, hasn't reprinted it and the original print run is now all but sold out.

It was a lengthy journey to selling out as Nintendo doesn't typically follow the usual practice of dropping prices to maximize sales, meaning that inventory had to trickle out at or near launch MSRP after the initial release when it saw most of it sales. But over the past six months, prices have steadily been on the rise as that supply finally dwindled.

And the icing on the cake is that Nintendo just recently released a demo of it on the eShop. While available in full on the eShop meaning that there was a purpose behind it, why they didn't lower the price and reprint this fine release at retail at the same time is anyone's guess. The Wii U is a troubled platform, this is a fine game that has sold about all it ever will at original MSRP, and could've sold many more copies at a lower price. And it's in a franchise that they're clearly invested in and would like to grow.

Yet it's essentially only available via the eShop proper, where apparently it's still $59.99 according to at least one major retailer that sells the download code (I didn't fire up my Wii U and check). Just another example of their foolishness that so often puzzles everyone else.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-05-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got mocked for being conspiratorial about that game over at racketboy by a resident douche who I have on permanent ignore.

The thing is Nintendo is out to get your money as any company is, and for them to get the most money it serves them best handling this generation, and in particular due to the failings of the WiiU by doing a good for the time batch run of titles, and when they're gone, that's it. They'd rather have you buy it straight from them without the middleman through their network straight to your box. They don't have to deal with others, and they can also regulate the price 100%. While stores may run buy 1 get 1 50% off sales or whatever, Nintendo can just keep it at $60 and be happy about it. In the long term they win further, if you can't buy it at the store without resorting to putting up with Gamestop and their shitty policies and pricing, you have to buy it from them or get it used elsewhere. Because of the increase of system sales since it came out, more people want it, and there aren't copies, so you can buy it for like $70-100(amazon is high) or you can buy it from Nintendo and save $10-40. That'll make more money for Nintendo because people will see a discount there.

As long as you don't care about having true ownership of the game, everyone wins. You pay less, a scrub profiteer online doesn't get paid, and Nintendo gets their full cut, so balance is kind of restored because the deserving parties pay what's right and the recipient gets what they earned making the product.

Sure maybe Nintendo could do a run later, but it's not in their normal behavior to do that, not until years into the system pass and they want to do a rebadged budget run as a Players Choice type game which would then pop it at probably $20-30 like what happened on the Wii after like 3-4 years on the market. So you can wait and pay less, pay the MSRP, or get ripped off by a third party troll.

I bought Fire Emblem back when it came out, oddly due to the kid and junk never could play it and sold it nearly a year later, got back out of it what I put into it thankfully. As it stands now I still think I'd enjoy trying that game out and it's a concern I could get horribly ripped off wanting that since I do only buy big games physically. Look at Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D, it's like $70 for the complete package used (retailed $40) and it's only what 2 years old? Sucks!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no love for Nintendo right now when it comes to their games. I got my Wii U a couple of weeks before Smash Bros came out and now if I want to get the physical copies of the older games for the system I have to download them or get gouged on them? I thought this was still a current console?

Do you hear that? The Nintendo defenders are just over the hill to explain how I should feel privileged to even be in the presence of a Nintendo console.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Nintendo, I think, has reached a kind of "Disney" status where games will be made and then either never go down in price or be put away into "the vault" for later release. Come to think of it, with the HD re-releases of classic titles along with the fact retail prices don't seem to go down on their titles since the Wii era, they may already be there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kai Nintendo's idea of current is 'while supplies last' and they don't reprint or even print in large numbers anymore, just what they safely think can be moved. It's an issue because the WiiU has sold crappily and as people jump on board this year or next or even in 2017 they'll have a rough time and probably not bother unless they just want copies they have no ownership over because the prices just blow and this counts for the 3DS too.

I think that Disney status comment is on the nose. Disney vaults away a movie for a good stretch, then brings it back out with a few little extras and on a new format. Nintendo has been slowly doing this since the SNES (Mario Allstars) and GBC (Super Mario Deluxe) and has just increased it ever since and in particular with GBA and then into the virtual console and other promos. They know what they're doing and you can either like it or leave it really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Come to think of it, with the HD re-releases of classic titles along with the fact retail prices don't seem to go down on their titles since the Wii era, they may already be there.
    Assuming we're counting Wii Sports Club (Which is so changed, I personally consider it a remake of the original), they've only done two HD rereleases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still see it from time to time in stores for $59.99

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    I still see it from time to time in stores for $59.99

It sucks because I used to see it all the time before I got my Wii U. My daughter really likes Pikmin too. I will just be patient about it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Assuming we're counting Wii Sports Club (Which is so changed, I personally consider it a remake of the original), they've only done two HD rereleases.
    Two for now. We've got the two Zeldas on 3DS (not HD but still...rereleases). If they sell more will come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Two for now. We've got the two Zeldas on 3DS (not HD but still...rereleases). If they sell more will come.
    They're not HD remasters, so they don't count.

And frankly, I think they're both ambitious enough to deserve to be considered remakes. Much more is done than just porting the source material over largely intact, displaying it in a higher resolution (Or in the case of the 3DS instead, in 3D), and with a few minor adjustments here and there.

I feel that they're too overhauled to be merely regarded as ports (Or "remasters", to use the term that has been popularized over the past half decade or so for ports of standard definition material to a high definition console). They don't go as far as something like Metroid Zero Mission, a remake of the original Metroid, did. But they're closer to it than not.

And again, Wii Sports Club isn't really just Wii Sports running in HD (And if the lineup of sports wasn't so diminished from that of Wii Sports Resort, I'm sure they could've easily gotten away with labeling it as Wii Sports 3 since it's that enhanced over the original). The Wii U has essentially only received one such title so far from Nintendo, so I really don't see how we can regard Nintendo as relying upon this concept to any significant degree.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-14-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wait for the price to go up more, then Nintendo will negotiate a Used only reprint with Gamestop and then there will be more copies. Easy as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ocarina of Time 3D is also basically out of stock at retail and being marked at a crazy price on Amazon ($75).

Sad...

And not only for those of us that don't yet own it. Imagine how many copies at $20 they could be selling to both those that didn't want to pay $40 for it, a steep price for some when it's based on a game that they've played in an earlier form. Or those that never got around to it a few years ago and now want it in the wake of the release of Majora's Mask 3D creating new interest in the previous title.

Instead, it's marked at one of the biggest retailers for videogame software at a price nearly double its original MSRP.

I don't see this being in the best interest of any of the stakeholders here.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-14-2015 at 04:29 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Can you still get it digitally tho?
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes for $40 (original MSRP) you can on Zelda and $60 on Pikmin 3. So you pay $40/$60 for vapor, $60-100 for a real one which fairly well sucks. It stings more on Zelda considering how many re-releases that one had has as is.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Checking on eBay it seems you can get the game new or in like new condition for the mid sixties after shipping which is what you'd pay after tax anyways. If Amazon is at $100 I wouldn't waste my money there.

I know the issue at hand is the limited availability Nintendo is putting out. I'm a huge Nintendo fan myself but hate the way their games never go down in price. I'm still wanting to get Donkey Kong for the Wii U but brand new it's still $50 and used it sells for the mid forties. I don't want it that bad and will keep looking until I can get it for $30 or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can get this new for $55, which is about what many places are asking for just a used copy.

I want this, but spending so much for a game that's two years old, irritates me. Plus, I worry that Nintendo might go against their recent policy of letting many of their games go out of print and keeping them that way, in spite of apparent demand as their install base grows and people seek out well liked games that they missed.

It's not likely to happen, but I would really hate to have this one be rereleased for $20 or $30 not long after purchasing it, especially if it's before I ever get around to playing through it (Rereleases or major price drops have happened to me before after making an expensive purchase, before even getting around to playing the game).

And buying digital isn't really my type of thing when there's a disc option, and it's still a $60 digital download (Way more than I'd ever pay digitally.. $15 is about my cut-off point for what amounts to a lease, rather than a real purchase).

Kind of torn between this. I want Pikmin 3, but not necessarily bad enough to spend $60 after tax. But I could easily end up spending that much or more for a used copy if I hold off.

I don't usually ask for buying advice, but it seems warranted this time.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-14-2015 at 04:30 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

1. Just buy it. At least it isn't above MSRP, and plenty of people paid MSRP with no regrets.

2. Are you going to feel worse having bought it now for 60, then it coming out 6 months later at 30, or waiting 6 mo and then having to pay 75+ for it? (And what are the chances of each scenario?)

3. Put an alert on the Amazon warehouse page for it, or troll ebay for a cheap BIN.

Those are my thoughts having been in your situation before. I'm fortunate with this particular game that I picked it up early on, before I even had the console, I think.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buy it and play it. It's a great game, and most Pikmin releases have held up in value pretty well. I'm still holding onto a faint hope that there'll be a Pikmin 4 some day.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're OK with digital, it's available for $41.99 on the eShop until Monday.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092