Thread: How is this list of games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How is this list of games?

I'm becoming a retro collector, and I'm going to get 60 games for NES and SNES. Would you suggest any additions or subtractions if you want to?

NES GAMES:

1943: The Battle of Midway
    Adventure Island
    Adventure Island II
    The Adventures of Rad Gravity
    Balloon Fight
    Bionic Commando
    Blaster Master
    Castlevania
    Contra
    Donkey Kong Classics
    Dr. Mario
    Dragon Warrior
    DuckTales
    Excitebike
    Final Fantasy
    Jackal
    Kid Icarus
    Kirby's Adventure
    Kung Fu
    The Legend of Zelda
    Mega Man
    Mega Man 2
    Mega Man 3
    Mega Man 4
    Mega Man 5
    Mega Man 6
    Metroid
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
    Paperboy
    Popeye
    Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Super Spy Hunter
    Tecmo Super Bowl

SNES GAMES:
    B.O.B.
    Chrono Trigger
    Cybernator
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Earthworm Jim 2 (1 is already on my Sega)
    F-Zero
    Kirby Super Star
    Mega Man X
    Pilotwings
    SimCity
    Star Fox
    Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Super Chase HQ
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Super Metroid
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Top Gear 3000
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kung Fu sucks. But thats just me.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Darkwing Duck for NES is great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Aww Kung Fu is a classic, maybe you just suck at it? That game is actually Spartan X which is a Jackie Chan game from overseas.

Anyway you have a nice list. With the NES I'd suggest Adventure Island 3 over the first two but that's me. Games of franchises, you need the collection of them like you don't have Castlevania 2 or 3, and 3 is a high pillar of NES capabilities. I'd suggest if you like arcade stuff to look into Arkanoid with the controller, both the Bubble Bobble games too, and look for the various TENGEN black cart releases from Namco and Sega. You might as well get the second Zelda since you have the first as they're radically different. River City Ransom and Mighty Final Fight are definitely games to pick up. Also Gargoyles Quest 2 and Ghosts n Goblins are fine games.

And then on the SNES, also a good start, yet oddly lacking in some great things. I'll give you a list of some goodies to look up (try snesguide.com to get a visual feel as it's a video archive.) Actraiser, Bust A Move, Castlevania (both Super CV4 and Dracula X), Civilization, Disney's Aladdin, DKC3, EVO (very unique), Final Fight 1-3 (and Captain Commando if you like brawlers), Firepower 2000, Gradius III, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse(and sequel Great Circus Mystery), Mario Paint (mouse works with some other games just excellently), Pocky & Rocky, Secret of Mana, Soul Blazer, Star Trek Starfleet Academy, Sunset Riders, UN Squadron, Wild Guns, Ys3 Wanderers from Ys, and Wolfenstein 3D(it's unique, not a PC port.)

Some of the games on both lists are annoyingly expensive, but if you're ok with that or can flip to get the cash for them (or get lucky) they're worth having.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Aww Kung Fu is a classic, maybe you just suck at it? That game is actually Spartan X which is a Jackie Chan game from overseas.

Anyway you have a nice list. With the NES I'd suggest Adventure Island 3 over the first two but that's me. Games of franchises, you need the collection of them like you don't have Castlevania 2 or 3, and 3 is a high pillar of NES capabilities. I'd suggest if you like arcade stuff to look into Arkanoid with the controller, both the Bubble Bobble games too, and look for the various TENGEN black cart releases from Namco and Sega. You might as well get the second Zelda since you have the first as they're radically different. River City Ransom and Mighty Final Fight are definitely games to pick up. Also Gargoyles Quest 2 and Ghosts n Goblins are fine games.

And then on the SNES, also a good start, yet oddly lacking in some great things. I'll give you a list of some goodies to look up (try snesguide.com to get a visual feel as it's a video archive.) Actraiser, Bust A Move, Castlevania (both Super CV4 and Dracula X), Civilization, Disney's Aladdin, DKC3, EVO (very unique), Final Fight 1-3 (and Captain Commando if you like brawlers), Firepower 2000, Gradius III, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse(and sequel Great Circus Mystery), Mario Paint (mouse works with some other games just excellently), Pocky & Rocky, Secret of Mana, Soul Blazer, Star Trek Starfleet Academy, Sunset Riders, UN Squadron, Wild Guns, Ys3 Wanderers from Ys, and Wolfenstein 3D(it's unique, not a PC port.)

Some of the games on both lists are annoyingly expensive, but if you're ok with that or can flip to get the cash for them (or get lucky) they're worth having.
    Thank you. But I already did Sega, and Aladdin and Final Fight CD is there. I'll replace 1 with 3 and have 2 and 3, and try to squeeze in DD, which the person about you recommended.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made a list a long time ago when I first started out building my collection. It looked a lot like this with Mario 1-3 Mega Man 1-6 Castlevania 1-3 and so on. One thing I can suggest is unless your a super fan just do Mega Man 2 or 3 and leave the rest out. It will save money and you can diversify a bit more. Same with Castlevania and Adventure Islands (although keep all marios). Also since Jackal is on your list I can tell you have good taste.

For NES I'd recommend Adding

M.U.L.E - kinda strategy board game-ish
    North Vs. South - also unique and super cool
    Bubble Bobble - a classic
    Zelda II - Very different and my favorite of the two

SNES:

Contra III -pure awesome
    Super Mario All-Stars with Super Mario World - Two birds with one stone

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Personally, I'd cut 1943 in favor of one of the really good vertical shooters on NES unless you're just nostalgic for it. Gun-Nac or Legendary Wings, especially. I might also ditch Rad Gravity in favor of Gradius or Life Force. I'll stop there instead of waxing on about the whole NES library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

If you like Zelda type games, add Crystalis, Willow, and Battle of Olympus to your NES list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho1994 View Post
    Thank you. But I already did Sega, and Aladdin and Final Fight CD is there. I'll replace 1 with 3 and have 2 and 3, and try to squeeze in DD, which the person about you recommended.
    Sega Aladdin and SNES Aladdin couldn't be any more of a different game if it wasn't for the fact they're both based on the Disney property. You're doing yourself a disservice not playing it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Spartan X is great. Such a simple game yet such a challenge. Farthest I've gotten is Loop 3 on Mode B. The knives fly faster!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultimately, if you believe you will enjoy these games and they aren't too expensive for you to get, go for them as the list is what you've decided that you want. However, I agree with the comment on Mega Man 2+3, unless of course you are a big Mega Man fan.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    If you like Zelda type games, add Crystalis, Willow, and Battle of Olympus to your NES list.
    I haven't played Battle of Olympus, but I can vouch for Crystalis and Willow: fantastic games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll vouch big time for Crystalis too. I hate that I think it at times but it's probably just harsh reality, but it is the better 'Zelda' game for the system as it's just so well done. Battle of Olympus is kind of like Zelda 2, but it can also be a little confusing in places and it's pretty harsh if you don't have a history with the game so it's a real love it or hate it inexperience (or just dislike enough not to keep it around.) I've had it a couple times and it's just not for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Top Gear 3000? It's a fine game, but the original is the one that most people with memories of that franchise loved and prefer. Top Gear 2 and Top Gear 3000 just seemed to be missing the magic that the original had.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GreatBazunka's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Personally, I'd cut 1943 in favor of one of the really good vertical shooters on NES unless you're just nostalgic for it. Gun-Nac or Legendary Wings, especially. I might also ditch Rad Gravity in favor of Gradius or Life Force. I'll stop there instead of waxing on about the whole NES library.

LEGENDARY WINGS!!!!!!!!

That game is truly awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I will sign the petition to keep Kung Fu. The game is actually better than the arcade due to the arcade's terrible controls. Even the good graphics of the arcade can't save the game from it's controls.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly recommend Clash At Demonhead and Faxanadu for NES, and King of Dragons and Super Smash TV for SNES.