Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One more reason to loathe EA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default One more reason to loathe EA

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/02/0...-about-porsche,

I remember playing Gran Turismo games back in the day and always wondered why the Porsches were called "Ruf" and didn't have the Porsche logo on them. I read an article after the fact years ago and it mentioned EA had an exclusive deal to use Porsches in their games. This article finally brings the issue to the forefront, maybe we'll see some Porsches in GT and Forza soon?! Only EA would make a horsesh*t move like this...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's not just EA. Microsoft also owns the rights to certain vehicle brands. I think Microsoft owns the Lamborghini license. Anyone who wants to have Lamborghini in their game has to pay Microsoft.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The sleaze goes both ways and why would anyone at all be surprised the most hated company in America EA would do that, let alone MS known for heaps of shady thefts, espionage, take overs and the rest too. They're both just as awful, just MS is a bit more covert about it so they don't top the list.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing if I was them. This is nothing new with companies buying the rights to use the NASCAR brand, NFL licenses, etc... I don't see why we expect anything different from video game companies, it's just good business on their end.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I can't hate EA for it but it does make the overall video game market a lot less inviting when they do stuff like this.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    but it does make the overall video game market a lot less inviting when they do stuff like this.
    I'll agree with that, it's not in the gamer's best interest obviously. I am curious as to the amount of the contract they have with Porsche, it must be massive to make it worthwhile for Porsche.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's not just EA. Microsoft also owns the rights to certain vehicle brands. I think Microsoft owns the Lamborghini license. Anyone who wants to have Lamborghini in their game has to pay Microsoft.
    Well, there goes any chance of seeing Lamborghini Challenge for SNES on Virtual Console.
    To my knowledge the only time someone made a racing game THAT CAN BE PLAYED WITH An EFFING LIGHT GUN (Super Scope)!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

wait, what?

you can play lambo challenge on snes with a super scope?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Blame the auto manufacturers.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I remember when racing games didn't mention specific vehicle brands, they just played well. I'd like to see some decent racing game made but featuring horrible/boring cars, like a Plymouth Reliant against a Ford Pinto or a Trabant.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    wait, what?

you can play lambo challenge on snes with a super scope?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Blame the auto manufacturers.
    I love reading these two posts back-to-back

What I don't love is people saying this stuff is excusable because business and money. Last I checked, drug dealing was business and involved money too, but I don't see people saying we "can't hate" or "shouldn't hate" that. Don't tell me that the only difference is legality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Well, there goes any chance of seeing Lamborghini Challenge for SNES on Virtual Console.
    To my knowledge the only time someone made a racing game THAT CAN BE PLAYED WITH An EFFING LIGHT GUN (Super Scope)!
    I don't know if Microsoft actually owns the license to you use Lambos, cuz pretty much every racing game I've played has Lambos in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I'll agree with that, it's not in the gamer's best interest obviously. I am curious as to the amount of the contract they have with Porsche, it must be massive to make it worthwhile for Porsche.
    That's the thing I'm trying to figure out? How is having your cars locked down to one game publisher (and essentially one series, NFS) of any benefit to the auto manufacturer? Porsche is missing so much coverage, publicity, and potential sales (if you can afford a Porsche lol?) by not having their cars in Gran Turismo, Forza, etc. It's just a backroom deal that was made between Porsche and EA that was done years ago and doesn't make any sense at point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The sleaze goes both ways and why would anyone at all be surprised the most hated company in America EA would do that, let alone MS known for heaps of shady thefts, espionage, take overs and the rest too. They're both just as awful, just MS is a bit more covert about it so they don't top the list.
    Doesn't surprise me EA would do something like this, I never thought Porsche would stoop so low.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never noticed since I am not a Porche fan. It is still very strange to lock your self in with one company. They may not have read the contract they were signing very well.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/02/0...-about-porsche,

I remember playing Gran Turismo games back in the day and always wondered why the Porsches were called "Ruf" and didn't have the Porsche logo on them. I read an article after the fact years ago and it mentioned EA had an exclusive deal to use Porsches in their games. This article finally brings the issue to the forefront, maybe we'll see some Porsches in GT and Forza soon?! Only EA would make a horsesh*t move like this...
    Honestly, I don't understand the problem. This kind of deal is not exclusive to EA. Is it really that big a deal if a Porche is called a different name to avoid licensing issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I believe that Starsky & Hutch had light gun support on 7th generation game consoles (Albeit, for player #2 while player #1 drove the car). It sort of qualifies, although not strictly a racer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand the problem. This kind of deal is not exclusive to EA. Is it really that big a deal if a Porche is called a different name to avoid licensing issues?
    Ruf isn't Porsche and I believe that they build their own bodies. So while the chassis and engine and perhaps a few other components are Porsche, it's still not a Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I love reading these two posts back-to-back

What I don't love is people saying this stuff is excusable because business and money. Last I checked, drug dealing was business and involved money too, but I don't see people saying we "can't hate" or "shouldn't hate" that. Don't tell me that the only difference is legality.
    The wink makes me wonder if you perhaps read something into my post that wasn't intended.

Just in case and to clarify my post, I'm saying put the blame where it most belongs. EA's doing what it deems best for its stakeholders, even if I don't like it (and don't really see how it's benefiting them these days when this deal is so underutilized). While they should be criticized for such a decision since it doesn't benefit the very people they're trying to sell to, it's Porsche where the benefits are particularly unclear. While perhaps earning more in licensing fees for them, something I wouldn't be surprised would end up otherwise if they were to end exclusivity and start dealing with multiple publishers including EA, the issue extends far beyond just the question of licensing revenue.

How is it doing the Porsche brand any favors by essentially being captive and not being well represented in such an important entertainment venue for automobile manufacturer's marketing efforts? They may be earning more where the tangible benefits of videogame licensing is concerned by making an exclusive deal with EA, but they're no doubt losing where the more difficult to quantify benefits are concerned.

Such benefits are why a corporation like Porsche spends many millions each year to fund a marketing department, so don't mistake their importance.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-10-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

How about people stop being such hypocritical sheep about EA and nitpick over every little thing? Constantly dredging up things they've done over a decade ago, yet at the same time praising other AAA publishers like Activision, WB, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Capcom, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc for all the bullshit they've been doing since the beginning of last gen and even longer.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't like EA then don't support them and keep buying their shit. Somebody is putting millions of dollars in their pockets...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The last time I bought a new EA game was Dead Space and that was in clearance for PS3 like 6 years ago. Activision has been quite a stretch too and other than ZombiU which sucked, same with Ubisoft. I don't like giving money to companies that do shady stuff that butts up against what I like to do. I find the best way to handle things is that if a company goes bad in ones eyes, buy used or don't buy at all as they don't get a dime.