Thread: Removed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Removed

Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Not a bad article. I can see what spurred your questioning of whether or not the new 3DS will take off or not. I looked in a couple stores (best buy, target) and couldn't find any, after I got out of work. I also couldn't order them to be shipped to a store near me to pick up at a later date.

I would say that it's off to a good start. If sales on systems are good, they will most likely support it with "New" 3DS titles. The two stores I went in had New 3DS heavily advertised. Right when I walked in best buy, a huge display piece was at the front of the store.

They are playing it safe and seeing how system sales go, and releasing a "hard to find" and critically acclaimed RPG to help entice the sales of units. Not to mention majora's mask and easy amiibo use.

Someone in Nintendo's marketing department either got a raise, or they hired someone more aggressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good points but I feel I should expand on the article with these questions.

Did they have a real big sell out, or did they ship in small numbers to create the appearance of high demand?
    Would them shipping it with no games and only 1 1/2 games made that truly support it known to come basically kind of in a way like a WiiU re-run?

Nintendo in the past have both under and overshipped total unis of a system. With the Wii they under did it and kept it down slowly expanding output to keep them rolling. Then you had the 3DS which they made look high in demand with low runs of it when it came out, then those sat eventually to rot on the shelf until they dropped the price a lot. Is this New 3DS largely printed and doing well, or is it lowly printed and made to look popular? Hopefully it is a big sustained seller.

As to the lack of games, if this is the industry yet again playing the WiiU wait and see card, the New3DS will end up like the DSi and fairly well screwed. Few true games and then many that are hybrids using the beefier parts for better performance and maybe a perk or two unessential to the title. I fear that is happening but I hope E3 in June proves that wrong.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Edit double post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I did a little local digging here this morning. I found out something interesting that I probably should append to my post, but I'll put it here.

The metro area is well in excess of a million people on this side and the other of the river next to Indiana. As of less than 24 hours on the market, all supply of the system has been sold. Gamestop and also backing that up Best Buy is reporting that Nintendo only sent out a limited supply of systems to fit preordered demand, and everyone else got a spare unit or a few at most. Places that didn't pre-sell like Target ended up with just a few, and second tier stuff like Meijer in the area only ended up with maybe 4 units on average if that.

Everything is gone, and supposedly the Nintendo rep told the Gamestop guy that it was done on purpose to stir up demand and get more people wanting the system. More will be on the way, but they will trickle out if second tier places are getting just a few at best. Nintendo is playing the opposite of how they did the 3DS with a blowout and going back towards the Wii with playing their bs scarcity games to make sure the systems move which is in my feeling, disgusting.

If you aren't some shelp that lives for feeding companies your money in advance (which I refuse to do) you won't get one unless you're lucky. Again time for another big middle finger to Nintendo who claims they had no idea this stuff would move as well as it did.

Edit: I'm surprised to say I actually tracked down one store, a less trafficked Toys R Us of all things that had just 3 of them in stock today, now they probably do not at this point, but that's it.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 02-14-2015 at 07:27 PM.