Thread: 360 S hard drives

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default 360 S hard drives

ok so I remember with the original 360, if they found out you replaced the hard drive in the system they would ban it.
    I know the slim model is different, more like a PS3 arrangement. can you stick what ever drive in there on the slims?

I have several that are taking up space and I was considering cleaning them up, make sure they work and selling them off for a few bucks.
    I figured I'd throw a refurbed SSD in there or something, sell em for $80 or so but only if they don't get all butt hurt on the drives like they used to

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It isn't as easy as the PS3. You have to flash a certain firmware to a drive that the 360 would like. A giant pain in the ass it seems.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

eh, like the big ol fat white ones.
    well i'll just clean em up and sell em as is then. if I remember correctly they have 4gb internal on the S's

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    It isn't as easy as the PS3. You have to flash a certain firmware to a drive that the 360 would like. A giant pain in the ass it seems.
    No, you just have to format and prepare it properly, flashing firmware is for the optical drive. Caveat, it won' t have the special partition needed to run Xbox original games in backwards compatibility mode.

Also, a quick googling implies you won't be banned just for replacing the hard drive this way. I know people were afraid of it (and even of fan mods!) for a while, but apparently it didn't happen. For a while they were doing some weird banning shit to the HDD's of systems banned for other stuff, like flashed DVD drives, but that's a different thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    eh, like the big ol fat white ones.
    Exactly like those. The only difference is they don't need that special casing. If you pop an old 360 drive out of that casing, it will work in an S without problem, no need to format it or anything. It may not fit quite as nicely inside the drive bay without an S-style drive casing, but it will work. Just don't jiggle around the system, not that you should do that anyway, unless you want the game disc ruined too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

oh ok, the shells and larger refurbed hard drives are cheaper than buying a used official drive so I may do that. i'll make sure they work before doing it since I am fairly certain they should have 4 gig flash memory in there