Thread: Removed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Removed

Meh!!
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-04-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like my ouya because it's a tiny box with hdmi out, decent wireless controls, and a zillion rom files -- retro gaming done cheap and easy. A better ecosystem like google play would be nice, but would distract from the purity of how I use mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's the only thing we differ on. I'd be all for having one if it natively and completely supported Google Play. I don't want to buy stuff twice or be restricted from using Android stuff that isn't on their shop.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tralornik's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think even though Ouya made a myriad of mistakes, the one that truly topped them all was abandoning the hardware. (Second was probably that awful commercial they made... which was, at the very least, off-putting ).

Once the hardware was dropped the development community took that as a sign of the end. Also, their million dollar game fund would have been far better spent on R&D of a 2nd gen product as well... instead of trying to bribe developers to build for a platform they had already half-abandoned.

I really think Ouya easily could have learned from the 1st gens mistakes and made a very robust and powerful 2ng gen console... even if it ended up costing a $150 for that next gen.

Also, while the initial criticism was loud, they still had a solid core audience of supporters... and I think even many of the critics would likely have bought a 2nd gen product because the core concept of what they were trying to do still resonated with a very large audience.

However, I am not sure yet if the MadCatz thing is doing *that* much better based on some of the reviews I read at Amazon... but I think if they stick with it, it has equally great potential.

Hopefully MadCatz (unlike Ouya) will continue to put the money into it and try to perfect it's shortcomings.
    Last edited by Tralornik; 04-24-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    The longest journey starts with the first step...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

They abandoned hardware because they probably didn't sell enough systems in the first place, and had no money to develop. As for having a "closed" play store, and not Google Play, they had no choice. Without some licensing money, they'd be totally bankrupt.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tralornik's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    They abandoned hardware because they probably didn't sell enough systems in the first place, and had no money to develop. As for having a "closed" play store, and not Google Play, they had no choice. Without some licensing money, they'd be totally bankrupt.
    (okay, I know this reply is to an old thread, but here goes...)

The thing is that they still had (at least) 1 million that they put into the "Free the Game fund" and that is more than enough by itself to create a next gen of hardware (mostly because a 2nd gen is FAR cheaper to create than a first gen, since they (hopefully) learned from their prior mistakes in production, manufacturing, etc).

I mean other Kickstarters have made many electronic products with far less that 1 million... also I would be willing to bet that that was not Ouya's last 1 million to spend (since it was a big risk to take with very little payback except some promotion and marketing... which a 2nd gen would have gotten them anyway).
    The longest journey starts with the first step...

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Id want one for retro purposes.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)