Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessory question: Hori Mini Pad N64

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default Accessory question: Hori Mini Pad N64

I've never been a fan of N64 games but I wanted to be but for me the limiting factor was the controller. what the crap were they thinking.
    a few years ago I discovered the Hori Mini 64 pad or Hori Mini Pad, depending on whos selling it.

any way they are pretty spendy (average $85, low of $65 not including shipping) but they don't seem to be all that rare for a foreign accessory which leads me to believe that it was much better than the original and sought after because of so.

my question is, is it that much better?
    any one have one/use one? (satoshi?)

I like the look of it, brings things together, puts the main controls in better spots instead of all over (i.e. thumbstick where d pad was ect.) and that was my main issue.

I've been trying to score a cheap one, I almost had one pinned down from one of my favorite sellers but I wasn't paying attention and lost the bidding because I was focused on another going on for a boxed square button famicom and a pair of boxed Saturn consoles with free shipping (from japan). I may have missed the controller but I managed to get the consoles for $92

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it's great and worth every penny.

And don't let the d-pad location deter you. People that don't want to spend the money and are looking to justify that always call that out, but the N64 d-pad is hardly ever used and many of the few games that did are unlikely to be played on the N64 these days such as Namco Museum 64.

And not only that, but the more common use for the N64 d-pad was for secondary functions. The Hori location for the d-pad, assuming one holds the original N64 controller correctly when using the analog stick by using the center handle, is actually accessible for such use with your left thumb unlike the stock controller that requires you to shift your left hand over to the far side.

The Hori isn't perfect, but it's definitely the system's best controller.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-25-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

yea that's what I was thinking about the thumb stick. it is the main mode of movement, Nintendo tried that shift away from the d pad and it showed but I still think they should have put their main movement device where the dpad was.
    so having it up on the right side would be best in my mind.

if it isn't perfect than what would be?
    and hori is the best over all for the system, including 1st party or just best out of 3rd party?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    if it isn't perfect than what would be?
    A controller with the build quality of the Hori, perhaps slightly larger for American hands, d-pad and analog stick equally accessible by the left thumb as seen with subsequent attempts like the Dual Shock, built-in rumble capabilities, and wireless using modern methods such as BlueTooth.

Sadly, such a thing doesn't exist, making the Hori the best option.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I've heard nothing but great things about the Hori controller. I keep going back and looking at them but haven't been able to justify the costs yet, I'm sure if I were to find one "in the wild" that I would pick it up.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Hori stuff is great. I've been wanting the N64 mini-pad and Gamecube gameboy player pad forever. Just hate paying $80-100 for them.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Everything I know of it indicates it's the best way to play N64 stuff, and I know a good many did like that superpad 64 too as it had a more uniform controller with the dpad and stick both to the far left normalizing the controller but I hear they can break, though I'm not sure if that's more down to age+abuse or whatever by this point.

The n64 controller was really hit and miss. I ended up hating it in some games only because the thumb stick, if your hands sweat would fill with wetness and then it would just slide off your thumb like ice with lots of stupid deaths and misses.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I have big hands, so the N64 stock was good for me. I HATED the USA 3rd party controllers from InterAct and the like. The buttons/stick always seem harder, I'd be in pain after 10 minutes.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I've got some pretty sizable hands and I hates the n64 controller. I considered hacking one up to make one of my own but I got to much on my plate at the moment

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

This thread made me think about this controller again but this time I gave in and bought one online. According to the tracking number it'll be here on Monday. I'm looking forward to finally trying it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I just won this one on ebay

Linky

yea it doesent work but the price was right and I am fairly certain its repairable. about half price of a working one from what I could find
    even if I cant i'll buy a known working one and swap the shells, I really wanted a green or translucent one and since this ones green its win win. then I can resell the non working one on ebay for parts. get some money back and maybe some one with more know how than me can fix it.

I am thinking though not seen by N64 when plugged in could be only a few things. worst case scenario could be the chip in the controller it self in which case I could probably swap one out of a broken official controller and call it good
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 02-23-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I just won this one on ebay

Linky

yea it doesent work but the price was right and I am fairly certain its repairable. about half price of a working one from what I could find
    even if I cant i'll buy a known working one and swap the shells, I really wanted a green or translucent one and since this ones green its win win. then I can resell the non working one on ebay for parts. get some money back and maybe some one with more know how than me can fix it.

I am thinking though not seen by N64 when plugged in could be only a few things. worst case scenario could be the chip in the controller it self in which case I could probably swap one out of a broken official controller and call it good
    Ooooo.... Those are adorable! I want a teal translucent one now.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I've got two of these, CIB, at home here (yellow and red), think I paid about $40 each for them. Sorely tempted to perhaps sell one as part of my collection downsize if the loose ones are going for that sort of money I see...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Don't forget the broken part

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I finally got one at a reasonable price last week ~$50, waiting it's arrival from Japan. It's a red one, which will match my Everdrive64 cart!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I want either a black or green Hori pad. I've seen them available, but I can never bring myself to pay $75 for one.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Don't forget the broken part
    Yeah, I was looking at the end price of the working ones listed on eBay...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Ooooo.... Those are adorable! I want a teal translucent one now.
    I think you mean "Kawaii"

since it is from japan and all

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I think it's great and worth every penny.

And don't let the d-pad location deter you. People that don't want to spend the money and are looking to justify that always call that out, but the N64 d-pad is hardly ever used and many of the few games that did are unlikely to be played on the N64 these days such as Namco Museum 64.

And not only that, but the more common use for the N64 d-pad was for secondary functions. The Hori location, assuming one holds the original N64 controller correctly when using the analog stick by using the center handle, is actually accessible for such use with your left thumb unlike the stock controller that requires you to shift your left hand to the far side.

The Hori isn't perfect, but it's definitely the system's best controller.
    Yeah, you don't buy something like this for games that use the Dpad for primary control. For those rare few games, the stock controller is bliss. Unfortunately, that's like less than 10 games, most of which are wrestling games (some of which were great for their day).

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Mine came in today. Wow it is small but it feels good in the hand and the GameCube joystick is awesome. Can't wait to have a second to play it and see how it really is. I'm sure it is money well spent.