Thread: Akalabeth on GOG -- Free

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Akalabeth on GOG -- Free

Not sure how many of you already know this, but Akalabeth (Ultima Zero) is on GOG now and they're literally giving it away.

Sorry if this should be in Deals and Discounts, I wasn't sure.

But to keep it relevant to the computer forum, here's a brief thing I noticed:

It includes two versions, one of which is called "Akalabeth 1998." This confused me at first, but I ran both versions and figured it out--vanilla Akalabeth is a direct port of the Apple II version, with no frills and an attempt to look really primitive. Akalabeth 1998 is the version from the Ultima Collection (which had music and colors) and thus is the one I'm more familiar with. One major difference (unless I'm mistaken) is you can't save in the original, while you can in the 1998 version by hitting Q. Also you can exit the 1998 one with Alt-X.

So, it's a freaking old RPG. Why should you play it?

Well, truth be told, I think Akalabeth's greatest strength is just how simplistic it is. It's a "coffee break RPG." You want to explore dungeons and find treasure, but don't want to manage complicated stats or keep track of an involved storyline? Akalabeth lets you run into a dungeon, kill some shit, leave and come back, and how much you give a crap about anything is up to you. So its an RPG for people who want adventures in a D&D-like environment but aren't in the mood to commit. For this reason I keep coming back to it. It's not a great game by any means, but it is to RPGs what Tetris is to puzzle games.

Also its nowhere near as difficult as, say, Rogue. So there's that. The one thing you have to watch out for is food--run out, you die. All else can be found in the dungeons or even won in battle, so I recommend buying a rapier then spending all the rest of your cash on food.

Anyway, go slay some balrogs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Didn't they release this some months ago? I remember when the news hit and I added it to my GoG account just in case I'd get the nerve up to play the game at some point.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Might have just been added to everyone regardless. I know I didn't have it before today, but it's my library and wasn't showing up on the default free list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe they changed it. I had to manually download it to get it on my account when it was announced but perhaps now they just sent it out for free to everyone instead.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Any which way you slice it, it is nice to have another free, quality game from GoG.