Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the most you spent on a SNES game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default What's the most you spent on a SNES game?

Sorry, had to ape the NES topic, but given how much these things can fly for now I was curious how much people have put up for SNES games at most. I think it's fair to say the system was advanced enough age hasn't hurt quite a few of the titles since they still seem on the level of some of those indie, Nintendo handheld, and tablet market games these days.

The most I put up on a legit cart would be I think $50 in a three way tie. Wild Guns and EVO I bought Dec of 2012 for 50 shipped, and then a little over a month ago I got an immaculate CIB of Civilization for that too, $50 shipped. Now if you go into bootlegs, friend of mine from when I was on NA made me a very well made Star Fox 2 but due to parts and his time I think I paid like $65.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

In my humble opinion, Nes games are more fun to play and collect, so I have spent alot more on Nes titles than Snes ones.
    Probably the most Ive spent was about 150$, once I scored a StarFox Competition cart for 150$ and I spent 150$ on a SNES power pak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good call. The shame though is that the SNES wisely used some quality special chips, but those chips aren't reproduced in those flash carts or I think they'd be far more popular. I'd think if someone just wanted a library of around 10 games~ and a flash cart they'd be totally set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the most I've ever spent for a SNES game was $30 for a loose Space Megaforce.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

For myself, I think it was $40 for a complete in box Final Fantasy III back in 1997. I did once spend $80 on a loose Chrono Trigger for my brother as a Christmas present, even though mine was only $35 complete in box. I'll probably spend a little more in the future on a repro cart or two, but who knows. I almost dropped $150 on a Rendering Ranger about a year ago, but I talked myself out of it, as I probably wouldn't have played it much, and if I'm spending more than $100 on one game these days, it's either gonna be another arcade cabinet or Neo Geo AES game.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I don't think I've spent more than what they were new. So 60ish bucks?

That even surprises me considering some of the games I have

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

Just $15 so far on Star Fox SNES but then again I am new to collecting games I want (and just got a SNES a few months ago). That being said, most of the games I want on the SNES/Super Famicom aren't particularly expensive; either I can get them on at least one region of the Virtual Console or I can find them below $30. The only exception is Hagane... I can still find them for below $100 on eBay on the SFC carts, but SNES carts are insanely high in price (I know the game is uncommon... but I highly doubt it's worth $500+).
    Last edited by FUZZY PICKLES!!!; 03-10-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most for a long time was R2: Rendering Ranger for $90 back in 2006. Actually a great deal, as it now goes for what, 200-250 cart only? Insane.

It was recently beaten by Star Ocean (repro) for $100 flat. I definitely overpaid for this one, as it wasn't long later that I started seeing people offer it for $80. At the time I thought the fan translation was super hard to convert onto a cartridge and so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. No major regrets though plopping down 100 for it. I enjoyed it enough, and I sure had more than my fair share of bargains from back in the day. It made justifying dropping a Benjamin Franklin for this game much more bearable.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If we talk about retail games only (so the $200 I spent on StarFox Weekend is out), then the Thracia 776 boxset ran me about $250 iirc, and I paid 130 Euros for CIB Rendering Ranger some years back. As Steven notes, you'd pay more than that now for a loose cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I don't think I've spent more than what they were new. So 60ish bucks?

That even surprises me considering some of the games I have
    I feel the same way about some stuff I've picked up. I got both EVO and Wild Guns in Dec 2012. Fire up the video game price chart site, see what those games I got for $50 were going for within 3-6 months after that, and then now. That same year I got Earthbound for $2 at a flea market table too. It's nuts when you look at a little collection of games and realize how far things have gone down that dark road of high pricing and how well some of those bullets got dodged either in the modern era or by holding onto them after all these years. A good example, look up Dracula X, and it's manual. I bought it new back in the day and never let it go.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I paid $100 each for a couple higher-price games, but they were CIB.
    Ogre Battle (a former rental in not so great condition, but at that price it was still a steal for a US copy, especially with the manual and charts), Dark Law, Hourai High (that was stupid, weeks after I bought it I found another seller listing it for under half the price)
    But those are the exceptions.
    Most I didn't pay more than $50, and that was if I liked the game, and probably the bulk of my SFC collection is cheapo $5 puzzle and RPGs nobody wants.

Glad I've gotten a few of the super-expensive games before they got out of control, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Most for a long time was R2: Rendering Ranger for $90 back in 2006. Actually a great deal, as it now goes for what, 200-250 cart only? Insane.

It was recently beaten by Star Ocean (repro) for $100 flat. I definitely overpaid for this one, as it wasn't long later that I started seeing people offer it for $80. At the time I thought the fan translation was super hard to convert onto a cartridge and so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. No major regrets though plopping down 100 for it. I enjoyed it enough, and I sure had more than my fair share of bargains from back in the day. It made justifying dropping a Benjamin Franklin for this game much more bearable.
    Maybe I'm just looking at eBay, but I see Rendering Ranger R2 go for $400-500 nowadays. I could never justify paying that for a game I may or may not want.

Reproduction carts is the only way to get the game at a reasonable price.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This would be a much more intresting thread if/when prices decline. I would pritty much take any of these prices right now.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

For me it was probably around $30. I love the SNES but have a small collection so there are plenty of fun games to be had for the price range still, not to mention I consider myself more of a gamer than a collector meaning I only buy games that I want to play and not rare ones that are worth a ton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It would make an interesting comparison that's for sure. You can look at what people paid a few years ago when stuff wasn't being scalped, and you can look at what people just roll over and accept now. The future will hold true at some point this stuff will fall off, interests peel away, so then you wonder where things will settle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the early 2000s I paid about $60 for a fully complete (manual, map, inserts, etc) copy of Secret of Mana I think. Pretty sure that's the most I've paid on a single SNES game. I'm not that big on the system so I will probably get a SD2SNES eventually, and then that will be the most expensive. :P

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    at some point this stuff will fall off, interests peel away, so then you wonder where things will settle.
    Maybe, but maybe not. Its hard to envision a future where so many people dont care about super nintendo that the good/rare games can be had for cheap.
    As time goes by these games will just become harder and harder to find, and probably more desired by new collectors.
    The days of buying EVO, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger for 40$ are long gone.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    It was recently beaten by Star Ocean (repro) for $100 flat. I definitely overpaid for this one, as it wasn't long later that I started seeing people offer it for $80. At the time I thought the fan translation was super hard to convert onto a cartridge and so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. No major regrets though plopping down 100 for it.
    I hate to break it to you, but I paid $38 shipped for my Star Ocean repro recently. OTOH I paid $75 for my StarFox 2, and I think that's been going for less lately too. I haven't really played either of them yet, to my embarrassment; too many other games to work on.

Outside of repro carts, I paid $20 for a nearly-complete Miracle Piano Teaching System, and $60 for a PAL Terranigma + Pro Action Replay Mark II, but in both cases a big chunk of that was the extra hardware.

For loose carts on their own, I paid $15 for a nice Top Gear 3000.

As I look over my notes, everything else has been $12 or less, to my surprise, even the import games. Still need to get Mega Man X2 and X3 and Super Mario RPG, though, as well as Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Kirby 3; those will cost me unless I get very lucky in the wild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No I never meant that far. I'm more thinking like how comics and baseball cards imploded. For the years leading up to its crashing readjustment even fairly common junk got paid more than it should, but once things went south most the comics and cards went towards crap value or a fraction of what they were at a high. Yet despite that, there was that small percentage of truly limited run/smaller run comics/cards from yesteryear that still would demand some good coin and in a good way avoided the hit. Right now the NES and SNES is just a scalpers paradise, eventually it will go to where it offends someone into just seeking roms with some sort of, emulator pc, android device or a flash media prices will fall off. Things just need to hit a wall, then it'll sort itself out where a game like Run Saber, TMNT4, Contra will come down as they were well printed, yet something uniquely hard to get like a Wild Guns likely won't recede much at all.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm having doubts Wild Guns is a legitimately rare game.
    When I was looking there were multiple pages a day on ebay of $200+ offers. That does not sound like a truly rare game to me.

$40 for Chrono Trigger? That'll probably come again. I think CT is one of those games whose value has always been fluctuating, as well as both main FF games.
    I think CT and FF3 were at least half million sellers, weren't they? Which is pretty huge for an RPG in that era in NA.
    FF2 had to have been well-printed as well as I see both cart styles, which indicates at least one reprint (the original fat case in 1991, as well as the slim cases introduced in 1993)
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 03-10-2015 at 01:26 PM.