Thread: what kind of computer games do you like?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default what kind of computer games do you like?

what kind of computer games do you like? dota2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fun ones?

Seriously though, games that play better using a mouse I"ll take on the computer over a console or handheld end day if they're fun games. Things like builders(sim city), empire building/tech growth (civ 5), RTS (command and conquer), first person shooters (doom or call of duty), design games (bridge builder stuff) you name it where the mouse is the most intuitive I'll be all over it. Also classics like the point and click like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantia/Sam and Max hit hte road, and flight stuff like Tie Fighter or even those Microsoft Flight games are just far better not on a console but on a computer.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I do not like MOBA games (such as DOTA2), tower defense, most RTS, games involving micromanagement, American/European RPG's, etc. Preferably no leveling up of any kind.

I do like action games, FPS, platformers, etc. The faster they are, the more action there is, the more exciting and less reading, the better.

But like all things, these go on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can agree with that, and in all fairness I hate the modern excuse for an RTS. They're just so stacked with cheap AI and routines and too much convoluted garbage -- C&C, Dune 2, Warcraft1+2 those were my speed.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FPS, Strategy and all the old school computer games. Retro PC games are so diverse it is crazy.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stuff I grew up with like Doom II, LucasArts adventure games, titles which can run on my computer, stuff like that really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I can agree with that, and in all fairness I hate the modern excuse for an RTS. They're just so stacked with cheap AI and routines and too much convoluted garbage -- C&C, Dune 2, Warcraft1+2 those were my speed.
    I didn't like Warcraft III all that much. I do love playing StarCraft and StarCraft 2 though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite type is first person adventure games (Myst, Riven, Shivers, Beyond Atlantis, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, etc.). I also enjoy stuff by Rockstar Games with Bully being my favorite of theirs.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

This question is actually kinda hard for me to answer without resorting to Tanooki's "the fun ones" response. Over my life I've enjoyed just about every genre at one point or another. I even liked a visual novel quite recently and that was a genre I expected to bore me silly.

I do know however that I tend to enjoy older games or ones in their style over more recent games. Lately the more modernish stuff bores me, but then a game like Ib keeps me enthralled through to the end. I honestly think the style is a large part of it: with a 2D, top-view game that looks like it could've been done on the SNES, things tend to be quick and to the point while still getting a lot of information across. Comparatively, modern games feel like they're so focused on "cinematics" that they wind up moving slow and making what should be something quick and painless into a chore.

Actually, its most notable with RPG battle systems most times:

OLD STYLE: You hit the button and immediately were told "you did X damage", then he attacks, then its your turn again.
    NEW STYLE: You hit the button, have to watch a five-million-year-long animation of a wind up, a sword swing, the dude's reaction, everyone making sure they didn't step in bird poo, the hero lighting a smoke, everyone deciding to take a break and watch a movie, then its the enemy's turn but he has to fill his taxes before he hits you... then, finally, its your turn again.

Okay that's kind of an exaggeration, but still, somehow the older style is just faster and that makes it more visceral for me, while newer games feel too slow. And it doesn't have to be this way--Devil May Cry on the PS2 still feels like an old arcade game--but for some reason, it is.

But as long as games like The Crooked Man and The Blackwell Legacy keep coming, I'll keep playing them.

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

RPG's like Betrayal in Crondor and Betrayal in Antara. Check them out, you will love it.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've always been a Civilization fan. These days I also play a lot of Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40K Dawn of War.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my favorites, ULTIMA1,2, 3, LANDS OF LORE, CRUSADER.
    Wastelands, Monkey Island series. Crusader No Remorse, Crusader No Regret, Most Origin Games,
    Castles of Dr Creep,
    Last edited by GameGeizer; 05-07-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ACT of course

ACT of course,Assassin's Creed series is my favorite!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The two biggest for me are the Sims games, especially 2 and 3 (haven't played 4 yet) and the Worms games. After that it's going back in time a lot more to the DOS and early Windows era. I'm currently collecting some of my favorite PC titles from the past like Stunt Driver, Silpheed, Tie Fighter, Full Throttle, Need for Speed III and IV, Star Trek 25th Anniversary and some others.

Those Lucasarts and Sierra adventure games are the best, love that kind of game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Old FPS and TPS games, eg. Quake, Doom, Duke 3D, Oni, Slave Zero, etc.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeChief View Post
    Old FPS and TPS games, eg. Quake, Doom, Duke 3D, Oni, Slave Zero, etc.
    Every now and again I get a serious need for some Doom 2 myself. Hell, I just picked up a copy of the Doom 2 survival guide for my collection. The older FPS for the PC have held up IMO pretty darn well.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Lately I've been playing a lot of strategy games. For awhile I was doing real-time strategy--Starcraft, Warcraft II (this being one of my top ten games of all time), and Command & Conquer, which I need to beat one day.... but I got fed up with the genre and switched to turn-based. Wound up discovering some games I've owned for awhile but never really looked into: Star General and Fantasy General (I bought these in a compilation which also had Panzer General and Allied General). These kind of remind me of Military Madness on the TG16, but they seem a little more complicated, with nuances I still need to look into.

I also have been hitting up a PC adaptation of Risk called Risk II (I used to own Risk 1 but not anymore, and I don't remember what made the two games different). It's a fun time waster. I've never played the original board game, but I don't think I want to.... having fifty units in one territory must be a pain in the ass.

I also lately played Skyrealms of Jorune: Alien Logic, which I expected to be an RPG and was surprised to find its actually a point n' click adventure. Weirdly, it won't work on my Windows 98/MS-DOS machine unless I use Dosbox... if I try to play it vanilla, it crashes. The only theory I can think of is that it might have the same problem Wrath of Earth had, where your comp needs specifically to have an Intel processor. Oh well, like I said Dosbox gets around this and makes the game playable.

I also found a weird shareware RPG called Gateway to Another World, which is so clearly trying to be Phantasy Star III. The author, Jason Meehan, even attempted to create a Sega Genesis emulator, and has made a homebrew Genesis game. Anyway, Gateway to Another World seems interesting, but I can't get the sound to work--I suspect the drivers are just badly-coded in general--and the saving isn't all its cracked up to be.