Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The most you have spent on a Nintendo 64 game?

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Not including buying games new I'd say around $40 or so. The N64 is my favorite console of all time so I'm willing to pay a little more for its games over others.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    There are many good Japan-exclusive N64 games. I mean maybe not compared to Super Famicom, PC Engine, Saturn, and other systems that are very popular among importers, but there's still plenty of good stuff. The problem is that not many importers care about the N64 so there's little info in English on what's out there, which creates the vicious circle of importers assuming that there's nothing worth caring about. But that's everybody else's loss because I've built up a nice little collection of Japan exclusives without having to spend too much on them.
    I'm wondering how many are english friendly though. Besides Sin and Punishment the other two imports I own are Rakuga Kids and Airboarder 64. I found the visual style of Rakuga Kids to be refreshing (a one-of-a-kind for the console really) but it struck me as a shallow button masher which doesn't suite the controller's button layout. The only reason I bought the latter is because the US release was cancelled and that perked my interest. Both are accessible to US gamers but I wouldn't say we missed much. Besides what has been mentioned here already there is also a survival horror game that takes place on a cruise ship (the name escapes me at this time) but that looks heavily text based.

Like you I also buy my imports complete and I payed 9 for Rakuga Kids and 20 for Airboarder (from longtime DP member, Flack) over 10 years ago. Now I see RK going for 150 loose on ebay. Wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

About $5 - the N64 isn't a system I care enough about to spend a lot of money on

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

I'm surprised to hear that many people here paid for N64 titles at such low prices. I have to admit when I first joined, I was not expecting many people to have been gaming for such a long period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    As we get newer and newer on systems here, there probably should be a qualifier like the NES thread, like used only, as many people who post here probably paid retail for at least a few games on these systems.

I know I paid retail (around $60) for Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Quest 64, and probably one or two others at the time.

Used, I think tops I ever paid out was about $15 for Super Smash Bros. At least my Conker's Bad Fur Day was free. Got it in a press kit back in the day when I was managing a store. Wish I'd kept all the packaging. I still have the shirt with Conker face down in a toilet, but it's pretty beat up now. If I'dve known it'd get so silly, I probably would have been a little more careful.
    Didn't think about it. I was really young when the N64 was still active so I never had the experience of paying for these games up until recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Now but then I think it was a little higher. I checked before I bought it and prices online were not that far off. I think I only found something like 2 copies online then.

My N64 is my launch day original. A couple controllers were also from that time period but I replaced the sticks a while back. About 10 years ago you could buy OEM sticks off E-Bay for a decent amount.
    I wonder when you got your Animal Forest game? 2001/2002? I'd imagine price went down afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Wasn't ISS2000 one of the Blockbuster-exclusive games, or could I be thinking of something else?
    I have no idea, but I do know that Clayfighter: Sculptor Cut was a Blockbuster-exclusive and that's considered one of the rarest N64 games (at least in North America). Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine was mostly a Blockbuster exclusive as well, but surprisingly, prices aren't that bad yet (you can still find them for below $50 loose).
    Last edited by FUZZY PICKLES!!!; 03-13-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Dunsmore View Post
    I'm wondering how many are english friendly though. Besides Sin and Punishment the other two imports I own are Rakuga Kids and Airboarder 64. I found the visual style of Rakuga Kids to be refreshing (a one-of-a-kind for the console really) but it struck me as a shallow button masher which doesn't suite the controller's button layout. The only reason I bought the latter is because the US release was cancelled and that perked my interest. Both are accessible to US gamers but I wouldn't say we missed much. Besides what has been mentioned here already there is also a survival horror game that takes place on a cruise ship (the name escapes me at this time) but that looks heavily text based.

Like you I also buy my imports complete and I payed 9 for Rakuga Kids and 20 for Airboarder (from longtime DP member, Flack) over 10 years ago. Now I see RK going for 150 loose on ebay. Wow.
    Rakuga Kids and Airboarder 64 actually aren't Japan-exclusives; both got PAL releases. Although in terms of regional lockout, it's definitely a lot easier for Americans to play the Japanese versions than figured out a way to play PAL N64 games. Yakouchuu II (the horror game on a ship) is a visual novel, so, yeah, that's about as un-English-friendly as a game can get. Generally speaking "English-friendly" is pretty subjective, though. Tons of Japanese games have a fair amount of text but can be enjoyed by those who don't know any Japanese if you're patient and can stomach a little trial and error. Obviously most aren't going to be as English-friendly as Sin & Punishment, which even has voice acting in English, but the N64 doesn't exactly have many RPGs and other text-heavy games to begin with, in any language. And some of the text-heavy Japan-only N64 games are awful and I wouldn't recommend them anyway (like Onegai Monsters).

But there are lots of good N64 imports that haven't been named in this topic. Wonder Project J2 is my favorite, but that one's very text-based (it does, however, have a fan patch). The Custom Robo games are really solid and should be extra easy for anyone who has played the Custom Robo games that came out in English (there is some RPG-style wandering around between battles, but making progress isn't difficult because the world is small and all you have to do is talk to everybody). There are some really nice puzzle games like Taisen Puzzle-dama and a couple Puyo Puyo games, and even silly stuff like IraIra Bou is fun. I could name a lot more N64 imports I've enjoyed, but those are a few highlights of what hasn't already been brought up in this topic (and that I feel shouldn't be too hard for those who don't know a lick of Japanese).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Rakuga Kids and Airboarder 64 actually aren't Japan-exclusives; both got PAL releases. Although in terms of regional lockout, it's definitely a lot easier for Americans to play the Japanese versions than figured out a way to play PAL N64 games.
    Yeah, that's the reason I went for the Japanese versions. I have no way of playing my copy of Taz Express.

Ever play Super Robot Spirits and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
    Last edited by Nathan Dunsmore; 03-13-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best years for N64 collecting, for me, would have been 2002-2004 when many video stores were selling off their stock. I was lucky to have a video store that didn't put stickers on the labels and the stickers they placed on the manuals were easy to peel off without causing any cosmetic damage. Most of the games I acquired were in excellent condition anyway.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZY PICKLES!!! View Post
    Didn't think about it. I was really young when the N64 was still active so I never had the experience of paying for these games up until recently.I wonder when you got your Animal Forest game? 2001/2002? I'd imagine price went down afterwards.I have no idea, but I do know that Clayfighter: Sculptor Cut was a Blockbuster-exclusive and that's considered one of the rarest N64 games (at least in North America). Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine was mostly a Blockbuster exclusive as well, but surprisingly, prices aren't that bad yet (you can still find them for below $50 loose).
    That is more what I meant, Sculptor's Cut and that ilk. I've never been 100% convinced ISS2000 was Blockbuster exclusive. In fact, I'm not sure any of them technically were fully exclusive to Blockbuster. I checked my shelves, and I own International Track&Field as well, which was another one in that "category". I do wish I'd picked up Indiana Jones at the time, but decided not to based on the review scores (it was getting 70-75% in the press here).

As for Rakuga Kids, really, price wise?! I also have the CIB Japanese version, which I paid about a tenner for years and years ago.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Might have been Track & Field that I do recall Nintendo Power saying it was rental exclusive in the Classified Information (when they said to use the Konami code to unlock everything before your rental expires).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think most of those rental exclusives as I said were super limited release but mainly just rentals so they're called that. I know that ISS2000 wasn't rental only, same with Beastwars and Indiana Jones(web exclusive, a few thousand, the others up to the 10K run went to rental.) I'm surprised really Indy doesn't go for a lot more.

As far as the scores Indy got, it is a beta release on a cart, there are death dealing bugs you can not avoid that will break the game as you play it. It will on many stages randomly crash into this rainbow spew barf all over your screen where RESET fails to even work, only the on/off switch remedies the death of the game. Then you have this one at the end of a long stage where you move a crate, get on this little 1 man cable car over a gap, and if you push the crate push-push-push -- it locks the game up, but if you push-go around and pull-push it won't. This is all 100% and entirely the fault of that fraud George Lucas. He had that port of the PC game made side by side with Battle for Naboo both to be retail releases, but because it's Star Wars, they pulled everyone off Indy but one dude (the one I spoke of I met at E3 2000 and man he was more than happy to be pissed off and shit talk that asshole on the floor in the NOA booth) who had to finish it up and test it the best he could in a matter of a few weeks to then find out the date was for a limited release mostly to rental and a few to the website (which is how I learned of that.) I pity that guy, and I hate what happened to such a wonderful game, because if the bugs could be repaired it's by far the definitive release of the Infernal Machine. It looks better, it sounds better, the controls and camera aped Ocarina of Time so it plays infinitely better, and side by side at 640x480 on a PC of that day the N64 was better that way too with the 4MB memory expansion.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, that's the reason I went for the Japanese versions. I have no way of playing my copy of Taz Express.

Ever play Super Robot Spirits and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
    No, unfortunately not, that one's been eluding me (it's actually among the cheapest Japan-exclusive non-sports/board game N64 imports last I looked, but every time I tried to get it I just barely got outbid). I can't say I've heard especially good things about it, but those Banpresto/Bandai licensed mecha/superhero games usually aren't that great (the Ultraman game on N64 is awful, ugh). The Super Robot Taisen series is almost always pretty solid, though, and the N64 one ain't shabby at all. But being a strategy RPG, it's obviously not especially English-friendly.

If you want fighters, and played and liked Flying Dragon, you could try its sequel, SD Hiryu no Ken Densetsu. It's not amazing but it's fun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never played Flying Dragon though it has always looked interesting to me. For N64 fighting games, I sunk a lot of time into Fighter's Destiny and Its sequel. Also enjoyed Mace, MK 4 and of course, Super Smash Brothers.

Steering back to the topic, another one of my higher priced N64 purchases was Tom and Jerry Fists of Furry for 20 new at GS back in the summer of 02. They actually had a decent amount of new N64 and GBC titles at the time. I later bought Xena from there for 10. I'd place both in the middle tier of N64 fighting games. I see Tom and Jerry go for good money now on Ebay but I still see Xena complete pop up from time to time at local game stores.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To those discussing rental exclusives, the bona-fide rental exclusives on the N64 that I know of are Razor Freestyle Scooter (as evident on the front of the box) and NFL Blitz: Special Edition. I'm also fairly certain Stunt Racer 64 was released as a rental exclusive as not to compete with Midway's other release, Rush 2049.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'd paid $69.95 for Super Mario 64 during the launch of the N64. Those carts were extremely expensive back in the day.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

hmm as I was saying in my controller thread I didn't like n 64 much but the games I have paid the most for?

a year or so ago I got majoras mask in a hard plastic case, Ocarina of Time complete but slightly smooshed, and conkers bad fur day complete, opened near mint, never been played (no scoring on the gold contacts) for $15

found them at the AS IS store, often times called GoodWill outlet in larger metro areas.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Ive never really collected/purchased single games. Most of my N64 purchases have been like 'N64 system & dufflebag full of N64 games for 50$'.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Had to have been Majora's Mask. I got my copy in a Software Etc. preorder bundle that came with the game, the N64 expansion pack and something else that I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZY PICKLES!!! View Post
    Didn't think about it. I was really young when the N64 was still active so I never had the experience of paying for these games up until recently.I wonder when you got your Animal Forest game? 2001/2002? I'd imagine price went down afterwards.I have no idea, but I do know that Clayfighter: Sculptor Cut was a Blockbuster-exclusive and that's considered one of the rarest N64 games (at least in North America). Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine was mostly a Blockbuster exclusive as well, but surprisingly, prices aren't that bad yet (you can still find them for below $50 loose).
    I'd imagine that's due to how many made their way out into the wild years before collectors prices set in or just the act of price checking and then selling online.
    I knew a guy when I was in middle school who had copies of Sculptor Cut and Beast Wars Transmetals on hand. He rented then, then never returned them. His dad canceled the credit card when the late charges came in (as yet another family of the time that never used credit cards and only had video rental cards for the kids). I'm given to understand that this wasn't a rare practice when it came to rental exclusives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

To those discussing rental exclusives, the bona-fide rental exclusives on the N64 that I know of are Razor Freestyle Scooter (as evident on the front of the box) and NFL Blitz: Special Edition. I'm also fairly certain Stunt Racer 64 was released as a rental exclusive as not to compete with Midway's other release, Rush 2049.
    You're correct about the Midway games. I worked for them throughout all of 2001 and 2002 and I remember that Blitz game being toyed with still in house.

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Around $40-$45 each for the Goemon games and CV Legacy of Darkness (all cart only). I think I overpaid, but I wanted really clean front labels.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The most I ever paid for an N64 cart was about $20 for a CIB copy of Castlevania 64 about a decade ago. Other than that the next one would be the $10-$15 for a cart only Resident Evil 2 I got around the same time.