Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The most you have spent on a Nintendo 64 game?

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I'd imagine that's due to how many made their way out into the wild years before collectors prices set in or just the act of price checking and then selling online.
    I knew a guy when I was in middle school who had copies of Sculptor Cut and Beast Wars Transmetals on hand. He rented then, then never returned them. His dad canceled the credit card when the late charges came in (as yet another family of the time that never used credit cards and only had video rental cards for the kids). I'm given to understand that this wasn't a rare practice when it came to rental exclusives.

I had no idea people actually did that. I was actually shocked when my older brother rented NBA Street 2 from Blockbuster for the PS2 twice and thought doing that was illegal (which it wasn't since it was paid twice). It makes me kind of wish I had done that with Worms Armageddon... but then again, it was over a decade between the last time I played the game and bought it on eBay (August, 2014) so it's not like I would have been old enough to get away with it anyway.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZY PICKLES!!! View Post

I had no idea people actually did that. I was actually shocked when my older brother rented NBA Street 2 from Blockbuster for the PS2 twice and thought doing that was illegal (which it wasn't since it was paid twice). It makes me kind of wish I had done that with Worms Armageddon... but then again, it was over a decade between the last time I played the game and bought it on eBay (August, 2014) so it's not like I would have been old enough to get away with it anyway.
    Rental theft was actually pretty common in the early 90s, which is part of why it became so damned expensive as time went on. Hell, I have a few games that I technically stole from Blockbuster, but there were reasons beyond "mine now" going on. The guy I mentioned only stole those two games, but I knew others who have entire collections made from rental theft and at least one guy I know would use the old Hollywood Video discount coupons you could find the in Sunday paper to rent piles of movies on the cheap, then recopy them at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I never did it but I did see it plenty with stealing games from rental stores back in the NES/SNES period. It wasn't hard and the penalties weren't much until stores caught on and would jack up the payout to like $99 to make it not worth it. I never rented games but saw people try and get stuff and the game was gone and they forgot to pull it because of a crook who rent and walked. It was just easier if you could go in in the 80s earlier 90s pre-internet with a fake ID or whatever and just rent something for a couple bucks and then not come back.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It wasn't hard and the penalties weren't much until stores caught on and would jack up the payout to like $99 to make it not worth it.
    This is what killed Hollywood Video. They made a point of jacking up late fees to absurd levels and holding on to them. Like, reportedly they'd never go to collections on the dubious assumption that "we're such hot shit, they'll come crawling back to rent from us, then they'll pay".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And the funny thing? By his own admission, Kevin Smith owes his entire career to rental theft. No one ever heard of Clerks until it became the most stolen rental video that year and word spread as a result. Crazy.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    This is what killed Hollywood Video. They made a point of jacking up late fees to absurd levels and holding on to them. Like, reportedly they'd never go to collections on the dubious assumption that "we're such hot shit, they'll come crawling back to rent from us, then they'll pay".
    I should've probably let Video Update (aka Movie Gallery) do that when they slapped with me with a fraudulent 10-day late fee for Chrono Trigger. I know I rented Tetris Attack at the same time and didn't get charged for that. (for all I know, they lost it or someone decided to check it out)
    Funny thing is, after my parents paid the BS fee after they got the threatening letter, I don't think we went there again. (in part because I think a few months later, it was, I heard someone robbed the store and it shut down after that)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

I paid somewhere around $80 for a new copy of Sin & Punishment once it became clear that Nintendo had no intention of ever releasing it over here.

As far as used games go, I think I paid somewhere in the $40-50 range for a complete copy of Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 a few months after its release.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Used, I think $25 for Paper Mario CIB. I had the chance to get Harvest Moon 64 for about the same CIB.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Gonna say Harvest Moon CIB. $140 CDN shipped. Got lucky when I bought my CFSC cart at the overpriced shop for $100. Based on other prices, this should've been $299 there.

The priciest item I'd still like to have would be I/B for Bomberman Second Attack. Not going to happen with the direction that one went.
    Last edited by Nesmaster; 03-23-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    Gonna say Harvest Moon CIB. $140 CDN shipped. Got lucky when I bought my CFSC cart at the overpriced shop for $100. Based on other prices, this should've been $299 there.
    Interesting. Any idea what a sealed copy of N64 Harvest Moon is worth?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

spent about 80 bucks on used Bangai O (worth it.)
    also spent around 300 for the Kyojin No Doshin expansion disk (not at all worth it.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AequitasSaint

game only? About 120 for sculptor cut. Anything n64? 230 for worms CIB and 245 for sculptor cut box only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think I've ever spent over $55 for a single game, N64 or otherwise... well, other than one game I got for $75, but that was a new game special edition version, not used. Generally I prefer to get more games that are cheaper than a few expensive games, probably even more so now that prices have gone so high for a lot of games.

As for the N64 in specific, it is my favorite console, and I'm very glad I started collecting for it back in '04. I mean, I got the system originally in '99, and got ~24 games in the two years after that, with the most expensive (new) titles being $50, I believe. My memory says that BattleTanx: Global Assault I got for $50 new. Paper Mario and Hydro Thunder cost me $45 or $50 each, used, back in '01 and early '02. I'm not sure about more. Some games that probably cost more than that, such as Donkey Kong 64 with the expansion pak, I got as gifts... and by the time I got a N64 many earlier titles had been discounted, or were available used. I remember paying $40 each for new copies of Mario 64 and Zelda OoT, when I got the system in fall '99.

After the system died I bought just one used game in each year in 2002 and 2003 for the N64, before in mid '04 starting to buy more used games to expand my collection for the system. Back in the mid '00s N64 games were mostly very cheap to collect, the system really was affordable to collect for for a while. I've gotten lucky sometimes, too -- in 2011 (in different months of the year) I found cheap cart-only copies of several of the pricier games -- I got Worms Armageddon (loose) for $5, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine loose for $7, and Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut for $5 (loose). Other games I got back before their prices got so high, such as Conker or Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, two games I got in the mid or late '00s for probably $20 or $30 each, or so (loose). I doubt I'd have all of those games if I had to pay what they go for today. Got all of these locally of course, I haven't bought any US N64 games on ebay.

As for import games, I do have some of those from ebay, and shipping isn't cheap, but the most expensive import game I have is probably a complete copy of Sin & Punishment, which was about $40 including shipping (in late 2013). Oh right, and in that pricerange I also have SimCity 64 for 64DD (complete), though I don't have a 64DD; that was also about $40. I'll get a 64DD to play it on someday... Those two games are the N64 games I've paid the most for of all the games I've gotten for the system since 2003.

Oh, I currently have 185 N64 games (and 1 64DD game). I believe 17 of them are Japan-region games, the rest American.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-01-2015 at 02:14 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The most I spent was $60 for Clayfighters Sculptors Cut in 2011. I have a complete N64 set and it was the most expensive game of the bunch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    I have a complete N64 set.
    Nice! Have you ever considered doing a "Turbo Views"-esque review series? I bet a lot of people would watch. I know I would.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Nice! Have you ever considered doing a "Turbo Views"-esque review series? I bet a lot of people would watch. I know I would.
    Same here. I once even contemplated doing it myself. Problem is, I didn't have a Nintendo 64 back in 2010 (my old one broke in 2007). I'd subscribed to any such channel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I want to eventually get all non-sports N64 games, but don't care to have, like, a hundred sports games I don't care about at all sitting around... I have a few sports games for the N64 (both Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey games, NBA Hangtime, NFL Blitz 2000, All-Star Baseball '99, Powerful Pro Yakyuu 5, Mario's Tennis, WCW/NWO Revenge if you count wrestling as sports), but I don't know if there are many more I actually want... that's my issue with a complete set, lots of sports games I wouldn't play. I do want to get the rest of the N64 games, though.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I always wanted to do a "reviewish" youtube thing but I just don't have the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The sad thing about N64 is that it hates non CRT tvs at varying degrees, some games just don't work right at all due to display problems. I'd definitely since much of them are asininely priced snap up some more but I have no good way to mess with them as the only small CRT we have left is in the kids room for when she's really good to watch one of her DVDs. When she's older and more responsible I'll unbox my N64 and put it in there for her to play Mario and stuff.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have about 65 N64 games, the most I spent was $30 on Mario Kart a few years ago, when I first started collecting games. I have most of the major exclusives one would own like Zelda and Smash Bros. Nothing rare tho. Luckily I got Smash Bros from my brother who had his original copy lying in my moms basement gathering mold, along with Majoras Mask. Great console, great games. I got my Goldeneye, and Mario Party 2 and 3 for helping a friend move, and I'm fine with what I got. There's definately some more I wanna get, but I just pick them up as I find them. I don't find the prices too outrageous.