Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default SwordQuest Contest

I was too young back in the day of this (only 6) and am kinda curious now to learn more about this ill-fated contest idea by Atari. It sounds great in theory -- using a game and a comic book together, needing one for the other, to enter a contest and a chance to win a great prize. I'm surprised other companies have'nt tried to revive the concept in the last 20 years.

Did anyone here actually enter the contest back in the day? What were your memories of it? Was the contest as confusing and difficult as I've heard it was? (it does'nt sound very easy) Are the games playable without the comic book in hand? Does anyone know for sure what happened to the four contest treasures (two awarded and two not) and the grand prize of the sword? Did Atari offer anything as a consolation prize or something for just up and canceling the contest, especily after they had released the third game in the series?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the smaller prizes were awarded. Popular lore says the grand prize sword was hanging over the mantle in Jack Tramiel's living room, if I remember correctly.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IIRC, you couldn't enter because you had to have all four games to solve the puzzle. I tried like hell, actually did solve the first two games (I was a kid), and waited impatiently for the next two that never arrived (waterworld never came around normally). I used to sit in my father's basement and drool over those prizes... I wanted one of those goblets SO BADLY.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    IIRC, you couldn't enter because you had to have all four games to solve the puzzle.
    No, each game stood alone.

My brother & I entered all three that came out, and got to the tiebreaker phase for Waterworld (which was too easy compared to the other two due to the hints, though the hints were actually a good idea).
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default sq

I think you did need the comic books, they had hidden words in them or something. I believe numbers in the game directed you to certain frames in the comic books, which would lead you to "clues".

I wasn't aware that the games could be "solved", in the sense of being finished.

You may want to check the DP archives on this one, or trek over to Atari Gaming Headquarters, I believe the full rundown on the outcome of the contests is in one of those places. I believe one of the prizes was melted down and sold by the winner!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check your DP guide. It has some of the story in the cart write-ups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Waterworld was available from the Atari club BUT it was also available at least in limited distrubition. I know that Sears carried it.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: sq

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    I think you did need the comic books, they had hidden words in them or something. I believe numbers in the game directed you to certain frames in the comic books, which would lead you to "clues".
    Absolutely you needed the comic books. If you were cagey, you didn't need the game -- by Waterworld at least, we had a pretty good idea of how the phrase had to go. We got close on Waterworld despite not finding all the clues, because we found all the words.

I wasn't aware that the games could be "solved", in the sense of being finished.
    Yeah, but they just sort of end. Except Waterworld which ends after every clue.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?