Thread: Went to plug my headphones into my GBA SP....

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Went to plug my headphones into my GBA SP....

I forgot it doesn't have a headphone jack. Oh, Nintendo.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Well, not a standard one. IIRC, there's a funky dongle thingy that uses the power port that you plug your headphones into. It's been a while since I've used my GBA SP.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Indeed. I remember back in the day getting some GameStop earbuds for my SP (I don't like earbuds, I prefer headphones). I'm sure I kept the adapter... somewhere but I probably tossed the buds at some point.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had known about it but I was playing some Ninja Gaiden Shadow and wanted to hear the music better then it hit me again. Such an odd choice but got to sell those accessories. Off to Ebay.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hah I figured you had to know. It is weird, but be careful there are chinese fakes then just third party garbage that works like a pass through for the charger too which were hit and miss. I used to have that little piece for the headphone and it is useful but it hangs out a bit and just gets in the way. I think it was just the time too because if I recall when breaking one down before there's really nowhere to put another port big enough to have a headphone jack. It would have been nice if they included the dongle in the box, but well it's Nintendo and like it or hate it they're king of cheap.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, it's the one thing that sucks about the system (well, the buttons aren't great and some people may complain about the size, but those aren't really issues for me). It's a shame because the original GBA had a headphone jack, but using that model is....eugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No doubt. The original still is the best design wise aside from the unlit screen. Nothing beats off the rack batteries/rechargeable batteries because OEM stuff sucks. The system is the most comfortable to use too by far of the GBA systems. If one could just get a 101 screen and toss it into the old shell, a modded one from rose colored gaming, or one of those old afterburner kits you're made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As discussed in this thread, there are adapters that will let you plug in the charger and headphones simultaneously, namely included with the Mad Catz Macro Kit and the Gamester Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP Starter Kit (and "Phat Pack"). But the standard no-frills headphone adapter is much easier to find.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    No doubt. The original still is the best design wise aside from the unlit screen. Nothing beats off the rack batteries/rechargeable batteries because OEM stuff sucks. The system is the most comfortable to use too by far of the GBA systems. If one could just get a 101 screen and toss it into the old shell, a modded one from rose colored gaming, or one of those old afterburner kits you're made.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Gam...item2edc8bb9e4

I want one but can't justify the price right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Unless it has gone up in the last 90 days roughly, I think you could find one just over 100-110 range. I remember seeing them that high its still a lot though. The thing is when I looked a truly clean body system, replacement scratch proof glass screen over the default plastic and the afterburner added up to like 90 so it wasnt really out of control at 20 profit for time and labor.

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I subscribed to Nintendo Power in 2004 only because I wanted to get the promotional gift: a pair of GBA SP NP headphones that "snap" on your ears. They're really uncomfortable, but I've used them quite a bit over the years.