Thread: What's the most you have spent on a Game Boy game?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's the most you have spent on a Game Boy game?

Continuing the trend as of late. This includes all Game Boy generations. No DS.

The most I have spent on a new game was the $39.99 price point for many games on the system. Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Super Mario land, and many others. Used games $19.99 at a local Game X change for Kid Dracula about 2 years ago. I love that game but didn't want to pay the Ebay prices for it. What are yours?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe a year ago now, I got Steel Empire (Koutetsu Teikoku) Japanese version dead mint CIB for like $50 if I remember right. Amazing game on the GBA we got hosed out of up until maybe 6mo ago when it was ported to the GBA in the US. I don't like paying much on GBA games, before that nothing higher than retail ($40 GBA, $30 GB/GBC) and usually much less like the $5-20 range. Even the few I've imported from the UK over time even with the royal mail costs were low.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think the $12 I spent on Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru: Mazekko Monster probably tops it. I decided to try all of the Wataru games after enjoying Keith Courage on TG16 and Gaiden on the Famicom. The Mazekko Monster games turned our to be dull pet-raising sims, which I didn't get into at all. I think I paid a similar price for Metroid II and Gargoyle's Quest, which I love. Everything else was about $5.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

$12 + shipping for Stop That Roach.

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

Probably around $25-27 for Astro Boy: Omega Factor. There's not a lot I want on the GBA to be honest and none of them are expensive to get. Most of the games I want on the original Game Boy can also be found on the 3DS Virtual Console. I doubt I'll ever have to pay more than $50 loose for a Game Boy game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GBA:
    Spyro: The Eternal Night - 20 New from Walmart

GBC Tiebreakers:
    Hoyle Card Games - 15 Complete
    Xena - 15 New from FYE
    Little Nicky - 15 New from Walmart
    Polaris Snocross - 15 New From a CD store

GB:
    Ren and Stimpy Space Cadets - 13 loose from Funcoland

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think the only GBA game I paid above original retail ($30) for was Car Battler Joe cart+manual ($45 I think) last year.
    Maybe a Shining Force CIB this year. (maybe $40)

(and by retail, I'm not counting the $5 GameStop launch day tax I paid on Minish Cap :P )

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game Boy: $90 for Mega Man V. Otherwise, $40 or so for Castlevania Legends - both are cart only (very clean labels though).

Game Boy Advance : around $250 for a good looking complete copy of Ninja Five-0...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I don't think more than MSRP on anything, new back then or used now. Mother 3 repro is probably the most, I think it was $40 USD before shipping. Also paid that for GBC Worms new when it came out, and more recently $40 each for Megaman IV and a CIB Kirby's Dreamland 2. CDN funds.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

If we're talking GBA, I pre-ordered the Mother 3 bundle with the Game Boy Micro and Franklin Badge for something like $400. The sad part was when I stayed with my parents briefly right before my wedding, and my mom threw out the outer box I'd left out, having the old mentality that it was just packaging.

Still, I played through the whole thing back before there were walkthroughs or patches available, and I loved it, and at least I still have the rest of the contents. I even wore the Franklin Badge on my tux at my wedding, so I was totally immune to lightning that day... and guess who's still alive? The guy who didn't die from a lightning strike, that's who.

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

I forgot about Mother 3. I think I spent around $70 for that one for the game CIB.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the most I ever paid for a GameBoy game was the GBA game Samurai Deeper Kyo. To be fair, I didn't buy the game by itself but instead purchased a bundle that included the game, the first volume of the DVD for the anime and a collector's box meant to house all of the DVD volumes. I want to say the whole bundle was $50 but I can't exactly recall.

It's ironic that I saw this post because last I had THE most vivid dream ever. I can't recall the place I was in, it felt like one of those old government buildings you find in big cities but inside was this resale shop that was more like a Goodwill than a GameStop. Anyway, they had these glass cases and the person I was with pointed out to me that they had CIB games in the case with some GB/GBC/GBA games on the top shelf. So I peer into the case and it was all commons but all the way in the back of the row was a sealed Shantae that was marked $2.25 that was sticking out just enough that I could see the cover. I had them get it out and ring it up and it was indeed $2.25+tax. I handed over a $10 and tried not to come across as too excited in fear they'd cancel the sale.

Of course there was construction going on outside the house and the people working made a bit too much noise that it agitated my dog just enough to make her start barking loudly. Her barking roused me from my sleep and I realized the whole thing was just a dream but even now several hours later I can remember a lot of the details of the dream like it was an actual memory.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Keep regretting I passed up Shantae regularly at GameStop back in the day. GBC had so much licensed shovelware I assumed it was just another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's an easy mistake considering it was out a year after the GBA came out. Wendy Every Witch Way is also wayforward, also out a year later, solid game, dumb cartoon license, yet it hasn't become wallet death.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    That's an easy mistake considering it was out a year after the GBA came out. Wendy Every Witch Way is also wayforward, also out a year later, solid game, dumb cartoon license, yet it hasn't become wallet death.

Cool game, like a kiddie Megaman/Metal Storm mashup. Funny one is a few humdred and the other can still be won with a .99 bid.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Keep regretting I passed up Shantae regularly at GameStop back in the day. GBC had so much licensed shovelware I assumed it was just another one.
    You are telling me. I used to see it all the time. If I only knew then. That will probably be one of the only Game Boy Color games I won't get. I will pick up a everdrive maybe IDK. Considering if I bought Shantae I could buy 10 everdrives haha
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I imagine that The Legend of Zelda: A Minish Cap is mine. So whatever that one launched at in North America ($35 or so?).

Of course, I happily basically got it for free. There was a thread around here at that time about a deal on Amazon for a 8 port AV selector switch for, I believe, $20. Everyone ordered this thing before Amazon caught their mistake and we all got sent the 4 port model instead of what we ordered.

Most didn't get anything for their trouble, but I hit the right customer service agent and got my money refunded, got to keep the switch box that they did send while they sent another so I'd have 8 connections, and gave me $30 in Amazon credit which I put towards preordering that GBA release.

For new GB/GBC/GBA releases, I pretty much paid $20 across the board. For used, I doubt I ever went past $15 or so.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About 60 bucks for a complete metroid 2

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe $12 for Mario Kart on GBA. I paid around $8 for Mario Land 2 I think, and Kirbys Dreamland

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If we're including GBC and GBA, then it's definitely gotta be Star Ocean: Blue Sphere I'd imagine. I imported it as soon as it came out, and I believe it was 50-some dollars, maybe 60. For used games, probably no more than about $20? I know I paid around that for CIB copies of Minish Cap and A Link to the Past on GBA. If we were talking black and white Game Boy only, I doubt I've spent more than a few bucks on any used game.