Thread: Retron5 Discussion, Help with Setup/Usage, and Test Builds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Retron5 Discussion, Help with Setup/Usage, and Test Builds

I couldn't find the topic that was running here which had my past posts in it with the updates for the Retron 5. I've noticed help around this site here has been fairly spread out in how to apply IPS patches, hacks, how to do something or other with the system and more including the test build/updates I was privy to.

Last night in bed I was on my tablet, saw that my friend at Hyperkin got back in contact on facebook and dropped a new test build.

Test Build v2.3 beta 1 (2015-03-26)
    http://retron5.in/?src=642e92efb79421734881b53e1e1b18b6

This is a PRIVATE BETA, DO NOT DISTRIBUTE

Changes since v2.2 include:

Cheat code support added for GBA games
    SMS cheat code support regression fixed
    Compatibility fixes for several Genesis games
    Significantly reduced initial boot-up loading time
    Added support for loading SRAM saves created by third party emulators
    Fixed bug preventing console region setting working correctly with some games

NOTE: The cheat database has been updated to include codes for GBA, so if you are using cheats you should download and install the new cheat database from http://www.retron5.in/downloads/RetronCheats-v1.2.zip

If you're someone with a good supply of Sega Genesis games and your system was making you miserable due to various issues, this is a must build to try out, and same with those who wanted working GBA cheats too. Try it out, discuss, and we can report back to him to help it get better. Direct quote from him: I've finally been able to take some time to get back on RetroN 5 firmware updates, and have prepared a BETA that I would like to have tested privately before going public. It fixes compatibility issues with several Genesis games (Sonic 3, Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone etc) and adds/fixes cheat code support for GBA and SMS. Specifically we're hoping to confirm that any compatibility issues with Genesis are now resolved.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've installed this build and I noticed right off that yeah, start up time is a bit faster now. I'm currently looking into importing third party emulator saves (primarily SRM files from Earthbound) but i'm running into a bit of a wall. Is there anyway Retron Tech can elaborate on how importing SRAM saves work?

There is no visible option for it in the menus that I see anywhere. Files with the extension *.srm do not show up in the file manager on the Retron 5 and as a last resort I took a valid Earthbound .srm file, renamed it to <insert earthbound here>.sav and copied it to the internal storage so the game will see the save but at best it just freezes up when trying to load the game now until I delete that save.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Very cool that they are getting back to this. It was a little too quiet from them.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I couldn't find the topic that was running here which had my past posts in it with the updates for the Retron 5. I've noticed help around this site here has been fairly spread out in how to apply IPS patches, hacks, how to do something or other with the system and more including the test build/updates I was privy to.

Last night in bed I was on my tablet, saw that my friend at Hyperkin got back in contact on facebook and dropped a new test build.

Test Build v2.3 beta 1 (2015-03-26)
    http://retron5.in/?src=642e92efb79421734881b53e1e1b18b6

This is a PRIVATE BETA, DO NOT DISTRIBUTE

Changes since v2.2 include:

Cheat code support added for GBA games
    SMS cheat code support regression fixed
    Compatibility fixes for several Genesis games
    Significantly reduced initial boot-up loading time
    Added support for loading SRAM saves created by third party emulators
    Fixed bug preventing console region setting working correctly with some games

NOTE: The cheat database has been updated to include codes for GBA, so if you are using cheats you should download and install the new cheat database from http://www.retron5.in/downloads/RetronCheats-v1.2.zip

If you're someone with a good supply of Sega Genesis games and your system was making you miserable due to various issues, this is a must build to try out, and same with those who wanted working GBA cheats too. Try it out, discuss, and we can report back to him to help it get better. Direct quote from him: I've finally been able to take some time to get back on RetroN 5 firmware updates, and have prepared a BETA that I would like to have tested privately before going public. It fixes compatibility issues with several Genesis games (Sonic 3, Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone etc) and adds/fixes cheat code support for GBA and SMS. Specifically we're hoping to confirm that any compatibility issues with Genesis are now resolved.
    I have tried, and tried, and tried some more, to get cheats working on Mother 3, as enabling the "always get 16 hit combos" cheat is the only way to play through the game on a Retron 5. They don't work. It's been over a year and I still can't play my favorite game on the system. Tanooki, any chance of getting in touch with them about this? I've asked them over and over and they still haven't fixed anything with this game. Same with Metroid: Zero Mission. Promises, but no solutions. Original carts for both.

Correction: Their cheat DB is incorrect for Mother 3. I edited some codes with what I found online, and they're working. Combo codes still do not work, unfortunately, so the game is still not playable. Ugh.
    Last edited by nusilver; 04-11-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well that's no surprise since they don't write their own codes and just borrow them from public free resources. Anyone put any work into that update? I didn't bother to get it because I have no Genesis games and I already have quick boot installed. I'll get around to it, but I don't use cheats either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    I have tried, and tried, and tried some more, to get cheats working on Mother 3, as enabling the "always get 16 hit combos" cheat is the only way to play through the game on a Retron 5.
    The game doesn't work if you don't activate a cheat code?

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Same with Metroid: Zero Mission. Promises, but no solutions.
    What's wrong with Metroid?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think the issue is that Mother 3 can be played, but not correctly or enjoyed. They foolishly turned the game into basically Rhythm Fever, a very exacting timing based game. Each enemy and even bosses have a cycle of musical scores that show up randomly on each battle. If you just hit the button and attack, that's it, one hit, and you hit so crappily you end up blowing a lot of refills or dying a lot for no good reason. IF you can rapidly understand (name that tune style within a few notes) which tune comes up, AND then tap the attack button repeatedly in sync with that particular ones beat, you can get up to 16 hits total on a target doing realistically proper damage to survive the game well.

That's why I got rid of mine. I can't play timing games for crap, Guitaroo Man and Guitar Hero 3 on easy, sometimes medium, is about as far as I can take junk like that. When you don't have a proper obvious queue like GBA rhythm fever and where they randomly shift the beat I can't even beat the first training level in those. I did like 3 chapters and maybe more and gave up on that one, somewhere around a graveyard and a crossroads because I couldn't advance.

Since the R5 is susceptible to the lag input/delay screen lag of whatever model tv you have, games like Mother 3 are basically unplayable just like how most people can never take down nor last that first barrage from Mike Tyson on NES as the lag is just murder and unapproachable.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post

It slows down whenever there are large sprites on the screen (think bosses.) Unacceptable.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post

Actually, sometimes it resets when I activate cheats. But no, the game continues to work, albeit with incorrect timing making battles practically impossible on the Retron 5 (see Tanooki's explanation above. It's pretty accurate.) Most of the cheats don't, however. I have gotten always dash and walk through walls to work, but had to find the correct codes myself as the ones in the included cheat DB didn't work at all. Still hoping to get that always get 16 hit combos thing working. That would solve the problem entirely and make the game perfectly enjoyable for me. Especially because I've already finished it five times or so (in fact, I just recorded the third episode of a book-club style podcast me and some pals have been working on about Mother 3.) Incredible game.
    Last edited by nusilver; 04-12-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Added support for loading SRAM saves created by third party emulators.
    So this means I could download say, a level 30 save for SM RPG with the best gear and play on my retron 5? Is there any way to then save that progress back to the cart? The R5 ate three saves off of my cart but oddly enough did not wipe slot 3, which was a useless slot anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes and yes that's what I was told.

You can get a save from an emulator (or whatever) plop that on a SD card into the system. Put the game into the system. From there I would imagine you go to the COPY SAVE FROM SD TO CART and you'd be set. I haven't tried it as I don't have a need to but that's how you do it to take a save off the system. You just need to I guess follow the prompts to get the outside save on your R5, then copy it back to the game pak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

If I have the time tomorrow I'll try it. Would be nice to restore the save that was once on the cart (or something resembling it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

So any news on how things are going with the beta?

Also-any idea if Populous on Genesis would work?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default retron 5 lights flashing dimly, won't power on?

Hey Tanooki or anyone else, are you familiar with a problem where the R5 won't power on, but the lights on the front of the system flash dimly? my friend's system won't turn on - apparently it was working when he lived in New Mexico and since he has moved here to NYC, has not. I brought all these Fami games to play