Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ness7281992
    Steam
    Ness7281992@gmail.com

Question Phantasy Star II sound funk

Hello, forum no0b here.
    So, I've recently finished Phantasy Star II (yes, the hardcore one) on my Genny, and I've noticed all kinds of funny things with the audio.

For starters, I've found the most well known, yet a surprisingly rarely mentioned, sound glitch of the game, during the "cutscenes" with Lutz. However, I'm a little confused why it did it not the first time, but the second time I talked to him. As far as I can tell, the audio played up until the point the interaction is triggered is the same in both cases. There is also the different, uh, mixes of the save/load screen music, that differ on at least one channel depending on if you're just starting the game or have returned to a save point in town after some gameplay.

Anyway, I also find it funny that nobody talks about the sound channels disabled caused sometimes when pausing and unpausing the game, or the little continuing sound while it is paused sometimes, though I think this is what hardcore Genesis fans call a ladder effect; am I correct?

But the strangest thing I've encountered by far is the stuff it did while I had a 32x and Sega CD plugged in. Passing it through the 32x, I would randomly get weird sound effects. While I couldn't hear any difference in the music, I would suddenly notice Nei's attack sound change into this obnoxiously nasal "WAAAHP!" (I'm a' firin' mah lazer, anyone?) instead of the... noisy wispy thing, and other effects would change until I saved the game and reset the console. Eventually, it got so frustrating I just disconnected the damned mushroom and played without it. It seemed to quit these unpredictable glitches, but all others mentioned continued, even after detaching the Sega CD. Should I be worried about this strange phenomenon?

For reference, my Sega XXL rig is:
    Genesis Model 1 version 2 (Early TMSS, still contains YM2612 sound chip)
    32x (not sure there IS a version difference; strongly doubt it)
    Sega CD Model 2 (don't really know if there are revision differences, but the BIOS is V2.00)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I haven't played Phantasy Star II in years, and I don't recall any specific sound glitches, but now I'm tempted to replay it again. I've played through Phantasy Star II more than any other RPG. In fact, I think the Phantasy Star series are the ONLY rpgs I've played all the way through multiple times.