Thread: Any Recommendations for Games with Open World, First-Person Country Driving?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Question Any Recommendations for Games with Open World, First-Person Country Driving?

I know this is a bit of an odd request, but I'm looking for a game or a sim where you can drive vast swaths of land in the countryside. Cities, towns, and villages are optional. I'd like it to be in a first-person perspective, and preferably on PC. I don't need for it to contain or to be about racing. I require it to be offline, or at least have a fully-functional offline component with the aforementioned country driving.

Imagine what I'm looking for as more of a virtual road trip with lots of enjoyment of the sights along scenic routes and byways instead of a game. Also there should be the option to go off-roading whenever you want. I would be happy if the game/sim contained both elements of casual driving as well as racing for when I'm feeling adventurous, though. The game's release date can be from any decade.

Could anyone please name a game with these requirements? Or even better, do you have a sim/game worth recommending of this type?

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can offer two that sorta fit the bill:

-Euro Truck Simulator - PC Game that simulates long-haul trucking around Europe. Lots of open road trucking for extended periods of time. No real racing per se, but you do have to meet timelines and drive cleanly for the best results. Works great with a wheel/pedal setup if you're really looking to dig in.

-Test Drive Unlimited - The original, I haven't played the sequel but it doesn't seem to be as well received. Still looks pretty good on PC and can be had for peanuts. Beautiful Hawaii scenery as you can wander an entire large island (Oahu?). You can set a destination and just go cruising or compete in a variety of races. I found the driving model in this game to be extremely fun and realistic feeling, especially considering the age of the game. Great game to just chill and cruise to.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thank you for the recommendations. I tried out Euro Truck Simulator, but it wasn't really what I was after. However, looking at some videos of Test Drive Unlimited, I think that's pretty close to what I'm looking for. I'm going to look into getting either the PSP or PC version of that later.

Thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It may not be you cup of tea, but the Grand Theft Auto games allow you to drive just about anywhere. GTA V offers ATV rides out in the countryside, as well as the city.