Thread: April 2015 Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default April 2015 Finds

I went flea market shopping earlier in the week (technically not in April, but I didn't have internet access where I was staying to be able to post this), finally found a few things. The GoBot model kit is for a co-worker of mine who loves models, Robotech, and Transformers, and since this is clearly one of the ships from the less beloved shows in the Robotech series, I had to get it for him. I also picked up a loose copy of Boing! for the Atari 2600 for $12. On April 1st I went to a store in Shreveport called 2nd and Charles and bought Commando ($3) and Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing ($5, no instruction manual).

Today I stopped at the new Game Over Video Games store in Arlington, TX and picked up Dragon Treasure ($14.99, the one with the stolen Epyx Commodore 64 game artwork on the cover) and Cosmic Town ($19.99), both for the Atari 2600. Never heard of either one of them, and that always gets me going. That's my favorite era of gaming, and to find something unexpected and unknown really kicks up the happiness level in my brain. I'm sure they're just pirates or hacks of better games, but still.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11102720_1048847731810368_3265363789698018020_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	7898
    Hit up a thrift store near my apartment this morning and found these for only $3 each.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Today I stopped at the new Game Over Video Games store in Arlington, TX and picked up Dragon Treasure ($14.99, the one with the stolen Epyx Commodore 64 game artwork on the cover) and Cosmic Town ($19.99), both for the Atari 2600. Never heard of either one of them, and that always gets me going. That's my favorite era of gaming, and to find something unexpected and unknown really kicks up the happiness level in my brain. I'm sure they're just pirates or hacks of better games, but still.
    Nice finds with everything. With those two games Dragon Treasure is a Zellers cart, it's a Canadian bootleg actually sold at Zellers stores. Cosmic Town appears to be a PAL game from Europe. I see various Zellers carts occasionally but I don't know much specifically about that game in detail, same with European PAL games.

@todesengel
    I like seeing complete Genesis games still turning up, I wish I could find more of them. Very nice.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I like seeing complete Genesis games still turning up, I wish I could find more of them. Very nice.
    Sadly only a few of them had manuals but I was really excited to find them all with their cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Nice finds with everything. With those two games Dragon Treasure is a Zellers cart, it's a Canadian bootleg actually sold at Zellers stores. Cosmic Town appears to be a PAL game from Europe. I see various Zellers carts occasionally but I don't know much specifically about that game in detail, same with European PAL games.
    I looked the carts up and the Atari Age website told me that Dragon Treasure is a pirate of Imagic's Dragonfire (I'm so amazed that a legitimate Canadian retail chain like Zellers had the balls to outright pirate games like that) and the site had no clue as to what Cosmic Town was. Which, again, makes me all kinds of happy. They have only the barest info about it, hardly more than a cartridge scan and a question mark for the rarity level. The Digital Press database didn't even have an entry for it. First I pick up a rare Atari game like Boing!, then a short while later get two oddball foreign imports. It's weeks like this one where I really love to collect for the Atari 2600. Now I need to try out Cosmic Town and find out what it is.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If you didn't know WHICH game the artwork is taken from, it's Dragonriders of Pern. Recognised that straight away

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

ooook, I try to post finds in here but I rarely get a chance to with owning a house and trying to get it to how you want it on retail wages. lota DIY stuff. BUT I always find something every month I just don't always post it.

earlier this month I got a FAT PS2 for $10, cords and controller. needed repair/cleaning. had enough lint to knit a sweater and the dvd tray, when ejected, came all the way out of the system, almost as if it was spitting it out.
    got it repaired and going to test as I am swapping a friend out for a slim PS2 since "he has problems" with it "not working" even though its always worked when I went to go fix it, I even swapped him a new PSU.
    no pic, we all know what a PS2 looks like.

heres a pic, took today but arrived on the 2nd

Family Basic, Complete and the 4 SuFami games for ~$75 shipped I think it was. ordered it early march
    Says untested but is working, need to verify Family Basic version still. they shipped the cart with 2 ancient LR6 batteries in it (aka AA)

now today I found a postman at the door with a large box that I ordered back in the beginning of febuary and I found a special something at a local thrift store

that box had, 2 boxed sega saturns with out controllers and one of which was actually a Japanese launch console (have the receipt of purchase and warranty card), 1 square button famicom box manual and hookups with a really bad looking round button famicom inside but it'll go well with my square button famicom I got a few weeks back and make it complete, 1 loose PSX SCPH5500 assembled by S KISARAZU (I like how PSX and SS have names of the assemblers on the bottom), 1 boxed complete sega ram cart and 1 loose GBA which is not pictured because I already lost it...oh well. This box was $91 shipped, it had free surface shipping.
    both saturns are in EXCELLENT shape and are probably suffering from a bad battery. the famicom...its gonna get hacked up (av mod or more) and used as a guenna pig. I am gonna retrobright the top shell to make it less brittle and then cut and smooth the rest of the back that already missing. the PSX and GBA were just extras, probably fix and keep around for imports/parts so I don't have to sue a mod cart on my PSX games any more. all these were labled as JUNK, we all should know that JUNK in japan means untested as is no refunds.

now that big white thing is something I never thought I would be able to afford since they are still several hundred bucks used. its a Sony PVM-20M2MDU. its a Professional CRT monitor that has several types of inputs, RGB, Component, composite, S-Video, and supposedly the "quality is AMAZING" when you do RGB mods and use monitors like this. look it up theres a few people that have comparisons. This one was used in the medical field for endoscopes and the such so you need high quality images to make sure your journey to the center of the butt show all the details. this piticular one was made in 2002, the cheapest one I saw online when I did a quickie search was $200 with about $75 shipping. older posts show a few years back they were going for sub $100.

I got this one for $15

Great shape, powers on, has the plastic cover for the controls still but I took it off to clean it (cuz gross stuffs possibly) need some BNC to RCA converters but readioshack closed ALL of its local stores (all 3) so I am gonna have to amazon it.
    now I have a reason to RGB mod some of my consoles, I always thought about it and then using my LCD with scart but this sounds like it'll be better. I guess it'll autodetect the type of signal from NTSC, to PAL or SECAM

I wonder how many assholes have been shown on this monitor....
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 04-09-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked up a few things today:

Sonic Generations PS3
    KOF 2000 JP DC
    Shenmue II EU DC
    Gamera 11-movie DVD collection

~$65 for all. Hoping to find a good home for Shenmue II; this is actually my 2nd copy!
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Picked up an Apple Pippin and Atari XEGS this past week. Very happy with those finds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    Picked up an Apple Pippin and Atari XEGS this past week. Very happy with those finds.
    Wow, I'd crap my pants if I found a Pippin. I've always wanted one, being an Apple fan, but didn't have the money back in the day and now I can't justify the expense on a console with so few games on it (that mostly came out for the Mac anyway). Although I'm pretty sure I have a 28.8 modem for it, somewhere in storage.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Got a nearly unused ps1 dual shock controller for 4 bucks, snes ac adaptor for 1 buck, star wars rebel assault 2 and some snes game i can't remember the name of right now for 6 a pop