Thread: Why did you buy the sequel if you didn't like the first?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why did you buy the sequel if you didn't like the first?

As the title says. I would like to exclude price and gifts from the discussion because I would like actual reasons instead of obvious ones. This was inspired by the current Bloodborne thread. So what were your reasons?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

If I do, it's because things have changed pretty obviously in the series. The original Wonder Boy/Adventure Island isn't my cup of tea, but its sequels are some of my very favorites. Some long running franchises barely resemble their initial incarnations, for better and worse. I don't like the old Mega Man games a ton, but later he finally learned how to duck, so I don't hate them so much.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The only game I can think of that fits this is Final Fantasy 13. I didn't like Final Fantasy 13 and bought 13-2, but that was after it was $15 and I figured how much people were praising it as fixing everything FF13 did wrong, but as it so happens, it's a much worse game. Then again with Lightning Returns. Yes. A third time in a row. Like FF13-2 I bought Lightning Returns for $15, but I was actually interested in this game because combat during the developer videos looked like a mix between Demon's Souls and Final Fantasy 10-2 when in reality I couldn't be more wrong. You press L1/R1, use a few skills, then press and hold one button with your attack skills until your ATB is gone, switch outfits and repeat until battle has ended. There was no reason to move because Lightning moved slow as molasses. Using an attack covered more distance faster than moving ever would. So while it looked like Demon's Souls with the timed blocks and evade skills, the game is far from it. Instead of mashing one button you're holding one button. Despite having much better level design, you can't explore at will because you're restricted by the time limit feature that just makes you feel like you need to rush everywhere.

Why did I buy the games? Come on, it's Final Fantasy. I'm cursed to buy every game in this series pos or not . I have a strong feeling that FF15 is going to be a pos with pretty graphics and you can be sure I'll eventually throw some money towards the game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-07-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I don't buy the sequel if I didn't like the first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, sometimes because the first game has a nugget or two of good ideas, and the second game gets the formula right.

I can't exactly think of any examples off the top of my head, but I know that happens.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm thinking of Street Fighter II as the first one was terrible. Also the Ninja Turtles games. Like Street Fighter the first Ninja Turtles one was bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    If I do, it's because things have changed pretty obviously in the series. The original Wonder Boy/Adventure Island isn't my cup of tea, but its sequels are some of my very favorites. Some long running franchises barely resemble their initial incarnations, for better and worse.
    Wonderboy,came to mind for me as well.I never played the series in order either.I went from monster lair to monster world IV and then finally wonderboy in monster world.I never got into the original and some of it's sequels.I'm not sure why but i never follow the series from the start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm thinking of Street Fighter II as the first one was terrible. Also the Ninja Turtles games. Like Street Fighter the first Ninja Turtles one was bad.
    Couldn't get past level 3, could you? Seriously, the main reason people complain about TMNT is the difficulty and, considering there are harder NES games like Mega Man 1 or Ninja Gaiden that don't have all this hate piled on, I don't get it. Why is one hard game bad and another even harder game a classic? You can't say it's a control issue because I have had so many cheap deaths in Ninja Gaiden it's not even funny. Doesn't stop me from loving it.
    Last edited by retroguy; 04-07-2015 at 07:39 AM.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Because sometimes the franchise or the property (IP) behind the game may be solid and the company learned from their awful mistakes is why I'd own a #2 over a #1.

They're mentioned already but look at TMNT vs TMNT2, Mega Man vs Mega Man 2, Street Fighter(Fighting Street TG16) vs Street Fighter II and even on GBA MOH Underground vs MOH Infiltrator are all improvements. Even movies follow that as most I think would argue that Empire Strikes Back is superior to Star Wars. Even good games can get better outings like Duck Tales 1 is fantastic but Duck Tales 2 expands upon it and not in a poor way.

I know some would debate it but the US SMB1 vs SMB2, both great games, that 2 really is better while others confusingly call it awful. It introduced the colorful worlds, the carry and throw mechanic, being able to use more than just Mario or Luigi, lots of new characters that still exist today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Couldn't get past level 3, could you? Seriously, the main reason people complain about TMNT is the difficulty and, considering there are harder NES games like Mega Man 1 or Ninja Gaiden that don't have all this hate piled on, I don't get it. Why is one hard game bad and another even harder game a classic? You can't say it's a control issue because I have had so many cheap deaths in Ninja Gaiden it's not even funny. Doesn't stop me from loving it.
    Because AVGN reviewed it and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon to be a part of the cool kids group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the Bly one who prefers the TMNT platformer over the beat'em ups. The arcade game really curtailed any gameplay variations that franchise might have had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well for awhile it did. When they started popping up again around 2001 on the GBA it went back to a side scrolling game once more on those releases and they do have a decent little challenge to them, just not sadist hard like the TMNT NES title. My beef with that one was I didn't like the jump mechanics much, you could kind of get lost going in circles fairly easy with the earlier parts of the game, didn't mind the swim/bomb thing much, and hated how hard it was to refill pizza and get back captured turtles. I think had it been a little differently tweaked in those aspects I'd still own it.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I couldn't get past level 1. It's just a mediocre game, rather than waste time with it I decided to play other games instead. Ninja Gaiden is a fun game and still looks good, I like it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Because AVGN reviewed it and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon to be a part of the cool kids group.
    I hated it long before the AVGN reviewed it. It was one of the first games I ever owned for the NES. Mediocre gameplay with horrible graphics for the NES, and a high difficulty. There's little reason to go back to it.

Several mediocre games I've previously sold off for cheap and are now expensive for whatever reason. I used to own SCAT Special Cybernetic Attack Team for NES but sold it for $5. Now it's an $80-$100 game when nobody used to care about it. I'm wondering if I overlooked it somehow but I'm not going to play it again unless I get lucky and find it cheap. People gush praise over lousy games now.

For the main topic there's also Top Gun. The sequel is better than the first Top Gun, I remember not liking the first one much but the sequel is decent. It's been years since I've bothered playing any of these though. Going with Gameboy entries, Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge is good but The Castlevania Adventure is bad. It's not that I can't play the first game well, it's just super slow and boring, while still made difficult.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I like the first TMNT game alot, and I like it more than the second or third. Its really not a hard game, the only part that is challenging is once you go into the technodrome.

I think the graphics are pretty cool and the music is excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The music is freaking glorious. The opening theme is a classic, World 1 overworld another.

And I always thought the graphics stood up really well, colorful, good background detail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the Bly one who prefers the TMNT platformer over the beat'em ups. The arcade game really curtailed any gameplay variations that franchise might have had.
    Not only is the original my favorite in the series, it's one of my favorite NES games.

It's brutally hard, but so much fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I tried Mass Effect and I hated how the RPG elements really mucked with the combat. My target was point blank and in my crosshairs and the shot missed. Wha?!

I read about ME2 that came out on PS3, tried the demo and liked it and got it day one.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I tried Mass Effect and I hated how the RPG elements really mucked with the combat. My target was point blank and in my crosshairs and the shot missed. Wha?!

I read about ME2 that came out on PS3, tried the demo and liked it and got it day one.
    This is a good example of a developer identifying what is wrong with a game and striving to fix it for the next.
    The Neptunia series falls under this too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm thinking of Street Fighter II as the first one was terrible.
    That's true but a lot of Street Fighter II players never even played the first game before they played Street Fighter II and I bet most of them haven't played it at all. This goes inline with my experience. I love all the 2D Castlevania's from Symphony Of The Night to the present but when I went back and tried playing the first three on my Nes(which I never played back in the day) I thought all three were terrible compared to the newer 2D ones. I enjoyed the PS1 remake of Castlevania 1(Chronicles) alittle better but still prefer the newer games. And I have a feeling that alot of people would have similar experiences. Imagine the first GTA game you played was any entry past III. Now try and go back and play the first two and you probably wouldn't even want to play more than an hour of it.

And I'd also like to throw my two cents in about the first Nes TMNT game. To me it was and always will be a classic, one of the best games of that gen. Was it hard? Alittle bit but Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2(both of which I like as well) were way harder. I can fly thru the first four levels or so of each of those but after that I'm constantly dying from being attacked in mid jump from an offscreen enemy that comes swooping in. I needed cheat codes to beat Ninja Gaiden 2(never beat NG1) but I was able to beat TMNT multiple times with out any help and I even bought the Japanese famicom version to play thru as well.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.