Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Will DKC Ever Return to the VC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Milwaukie (Oak Grove), Oregon
    Posts
    346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Will DKC Ever Return to the VC?

    Will the Donkey Kong Country trilogy ever resurface on the Virtual Console?

    I'm hoping Nintendo, after having suffered great losses over the failure of the WiiU before eventually recovering, plays it straight with the series' developer, Rare Ltd (presently under Microsoft ownership), over this. Nintendo itself is the rights owner to Donkey Kong as a whole. . . but the way I see it Nintendo removed the trilogy from the VC as I think it had to pay Microsoft a fee for the Rare trademarks and associated references featured in these games. What do you think?

    ~Ben

  2. #2
    Kirby (Level 13) Leo_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,875
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    You must've missed the memo, since not only have they been released to the Wii U Virtual Console, they've been rereleased on the Wii Virtual Console as well.

    In Europe, it happened way back last October, with the Japanese releases following in November. North America saw all three rolled out in late February of this year.

    In addition, Donkey Kong 64 and the Donkey Kong Land trilogy have also appeared, on the Wii U and 3DS Virtual Consoles, respectively. Along with some promising recent comments from Xbox head, Phil Spencer, I think people are now awaiting the release of Diddy Kong Racing on the Wii U, despite the inclusion of Conker and Banjo, much more recognizable Rare properties than Jetpac was in DK64.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-21-2015 at 09:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Milwaukie (Oak Grove), Oregon
    Posts
    346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    You must've missed the memo, since not only have they been released to the Wii U Virtual Console, they've been rereleased on the Wii Virtual Console as well. :)

    In Europe, it happened way back last October, with the Japanese releases following in November. North America saw all three rolled out in late February of this year.

    In addition, Donkey Kong 64 and the Donkey Kong Land trilogy have also appeared, on the Wii U and 3DS Virtual Consoles, respectively. Along with some promising recent comments from Xbox head, Phil Spencer, I think people are now awaiting the release of Diddy Kong Racing on the Wii U, despite the inclusion of Conker and Banjo, much more recognizable Rare properties than Jetpac was in DK64.
    But will Nintendo attempt to buy back the Perfect Dark franchise from Microsoft?

    ~Ben

  4. #4
    Mindbender The Adventurer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    828
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    But will Nintendo attempt to buy back the Perfect Dark franchise from Microsoft?

    ~Ben
    Since Nintendo never owned it... probably not?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12


  5. #5
    Kirby (Level 13) Leo_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,875
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    But will Nintendo attempt to buy back the Perfect Dark franchise from Microsoft?

    ~Ben
    Why would they even want to and why would Rare/MS ever agree to such a thing?

    Considering that it's a cornerstone for Rare Replay, which is set to release soon for the Xbox One and has a lot of interest, I think your answer is an obvious one.

    Diddy Kong Racing on the other hand I think has an excellent chance. And hopefully the GBA versions of the DKC trilogy appear as well (I'm primarily thinking of DKC3 with its excellent new soundtrack that was composed to better suit the GBA's audio capabilities, which would be a nice variation to see be available on here.).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-28-2015 at 12:43 PM.

  6. #6
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,774
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, I don't know why Nintendo would care a bit about Perfect Dark. It's not some tremendously exciting property that is a big part of any legacy but Rare's.

  7. #7
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Milwaukie (Oak Grove), Oregon
    Posts
    346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why Nintendo would care a bit about Perfect Dark. It's not some tremendously exciting property that is a big part of any legacy but Rare's.
    I think maybe I'd limit my scope to those titles Nintendo handled that were created up to and including DKC, such as:
    * Slalom (1987)
    * R. C. Pro-Am (1988) (Tradewest distributed the sequel)
    * Cobra Triangle (1989)
    * Snake, Rattle & Roll (1990)
    Not surprisingly, of course, at present all four of these currently reside with MS - as they all appear on Rare Replay.

    Why did Nintendo sell off its stake in Rareware in 2002? Again, MS only acquired the non-Nintendo-owned IPs but did not retain the workforce.

    ~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 07-28-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Yar's Return?
    By rennervision in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •