Thread: Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (Nintendo 3DS)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Red face Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (Nintendo 3DS)

Releasing on May 26th for the 3DS is Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX. It's an action music rhythm game. It features "chibi" versions of popular Vocaloid singers such as the eponymous Hatsune Miku. It sounds like it is going to be packed with lots of features and content. Gonna be sold for $40 on release day. The question is... can you handle the kawaii? ^_-

Personally, I both like and dislike the art style. On the one side, I like it better than the usual 3D Vocaloid style. But on the other side, is it just me or is there something off about the chibi style of this that takes it from "cute" to "not cute"?

Sorry, there isn't an official English trailer yet, which is weird as the game releases in North America and Europe in only a month. But then again, SEGA has been having a lot of difficulty lately, so I chalk it up to that.

Official Japanese trailer:

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish the 3ds had a more impressive upcoming lineup. What is with all this cutesy crap? Rhythm games, life simulators, dating simulators, etc. Get this garbage outta here, some of us are over the age of 10. How about some decent shooting games? How about a basketball game? How about a 3rd person action adventure that isn't a remade Zelda? Anything, except for games like this. It's disappointing.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

my friend is going to cream his pants

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Goofy looking for sure, kind of vaguely reminds me of Square's FF music game. If it only allows touch though and not buttons to tap to the music that'll be death as it picks up speed. That was the big problem along with your hand blocking the screen on Elite Beat Agents back on DS which Square took note of and put the graphics up top to spare people that mess and allowed buttons not just tapping.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I've never been a fan of rhythm games, they're just entire games with fast paced quick time events. Less forgiving than Dragon's Lair but without the great visual animation.

I also don't understand why this game is getting released outside of Japan, I don't think this character is well known enough in North America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good point (both of them.)

It is like a long dragged out QTE, but on rare occasion sometimes one that is inspired and fun enough due to some design quirk or setup (like the quests the FF curtain call does) makes it more compelling. But as far as the character goes I have no idea why they thought they could market that either.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I LIKE rhythm action music games. They are like an interactive music video, where the better you do, the better the "music video" turns out. I've liked them from Parappa the Rapper to Bust a Groove to Puyo Puyo DA! to Pop'n Music to Dance Dance Revolution to Gitaroo Man to Frequency to Just Dance to Amplitude to Taiko Drum Master to Guitar Hero to Elite Beat Agents to Theatrhythm to Rock Band to Ouendan to HarmoKnight and beyond. (And yes, I have owned all of those.)

And the genre isn't merely a QTE of "Press THIS BUTTON now!" - you usually have a series of buttons where you need to press each one at -just- the right time on the beat. Like any other action game, your response can't be too soon nor too late. And it is all synchronized to music and on-screen action, creating an awesome, immersive experience. Thankfully, unlike Enix's first Theatrhythm Final Fantasy game, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX has the sense, like the others in its series, to be played using exclusively the buttons and not a touchscreen if you so wish.

As to Hatsune Miku and the rest of the Vocaloid - they are HUGE in Japan, but also very, very popular in the West. We were even discussing this phenomenon four years ago here on the DP RR forum. Vocaloid is so popular that a Hatsune Miku game was released in North America on the PS3, which sold so well that a port of it was then released here for the PSVita. Subsequently, Hatsune Miku appeared on the Late Show With David Letterman in October 2014.

I'm sure SEGA knows exactly what it is doing here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow Letterman hosted that, beyond surprised with that clip. Doesn't sound too bad, never heard anything quite like that before. Anime hologram girl with I guess an autotune twist to the vocals written by some competent song writers. Kind of more indie than corporate, yet the girl literally is part of the machine. I'll have to admit I didn't give the game a moment of a glance before hand but now I'm somewhat interesting to see what's going into that 3DS game. I liked both the FF music titles, but admittedly most just piss me off as I can't deal with rhythm based games. Gitaroo Man, EBA, FF music titles those I've been fine with, the faster paced cracked out DDR/Beatmania stuff I dislike.

Seriously? Moon Light Legend (Sailor Moon) on this game??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apcIbH4G-zI

I'm curious if there's any US footage with english, or is the game in Japanese for the US too? Watching it, it plays just like the square game (first FF 3ds) but you can use buttons not just tapping.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 04-24-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I guess an autotune twist to the vocals written by some competent song writers. Kind of more indie than corporate, yet the girl literally is part of the machine.
    I'll explain. Vocaloid is actually singing synthesis software. This software is published by Yamaha and costs $100 per voice. Each voice is represented by a 3D model (the characters which are featured on the "box" of the software). With Vocaloid software, you can type whatever you want and the voice will sing or speak what you entered. But you can also enter things like the BPM and other specifications, allowing you to (for example) have the voice sing in iambic pentameter. People then write music and use this software to have a "singer" to perform alongside the instrumentation. It is a way for indie composers to have a full A/V experience available to listeners which features instruments, singing, and dancing, even if the person can't or doesn't want to perform on camera.

Seriously? Moon Light Legend (Sailor Moon) on this game??
    Ah, this is what I mean. As anyone can use Vocaloid to produce music, there are lots and lots of fan productions. Some of it is original indie music, while much of it is "cover" or remix versions of established songs. Here we have an example of that.

For reference, most of the music in the SEGA games is actually licensed from popular independent creators whose original works can be seen on YouTube. Indeed, as these songs are usually output as music videos with synchronized singing & dancing of the 3D models, they usually act as the basis of the in-game background animations for the stages.

I'm curious if there's any US footage with english, or is the game in Japanese for the US too?
    I believe that while the user interface will be completely in English, the songs themselves will remain sung in Japanese with English subtitles along the bottom of the top screen if it is like the recent PSVita entry in the series.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

There are only a few days left until the September 8, 2015 release date for "Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX." I already pre-ordered my copy for Nintendo 3DS a few weeks ago.

By the way, if you want to try before you buy, there is a demo available on the North American and European eShops now. It's pretty good. It has two different songs and three different difficulty modes. You get to choose whether you want to play in button mode or touchscreen mode. For me, using the buttons instead of the touchscreen (or motion controls) in any game is high on my list of priorities!

I didn't much like the Lots of Laugh song as I don't like slow-paced music, but the Senbonzakura song is fast paced and I really like it. The "video" part of the Senbonzakura stage has a really strong Sakura Wars vibe, and it's no surprise - SEGA made this game and is a financial backer of and majorly involved in the Sakura Wars series too. As I suspected, the songs for the North American version were left in Japanese with English subtitles appearing on the lower screen. The only part I didn't get right about that was that the subtitles appear at the top of the screen rather than at the bottom of the screen.

It looks like there are going to be a TON of unlockables in this too, so there will be plenty to keep you busy.

Also worth noting is that this first print run is one of those special print runs. Besides for the Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX game, it will also contain a set of 19 double-sided AR cards and a wallet "chain" based on Miku's belt's design. (While meant for tethering a wallet, this "chain" is really more like a lanyard rather than a chain of links.) The set arrives in an over-sized cardboard box to contain it all. Amazon.com has photos of the extras.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's crazy but you know what as so damned weird as this game is as far as it being a totally Japanese centric game I do find it confusingly compelling in video. I really should try that demo out. I've had it on my small google drive watch list for stuff to maybe buy or will buy (it's a maybe.) Right along side is the other very Japanese boob-fest brawler of Senran Kagura 2 which this time is getting a physical release so now I'm interested in it more.

I don't mind foreign music if it sound nice and maybe I'd still understand a word or two.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Hey everyone, check out this beaming review:

With pitch-perfect gameplay and an excellent, expansive tracklist, Project Mirai DX is a must-play for Miku and music game fans alike. Its rhythm game core is inspired and addictive, the presentation is charming and fun, and there's no shortage of activities to keep you happily busy between songs, with dress-up, interior decorating, choreography, and a full-on Puyo Puyo mode all providing enjoyable distractions from the dancefloor. As a complete package, Project Mirai DX puts on a virtuoso performance that easily stands alongside Curtain Call, HarmoKnight, and Rhythm Thief as one of the 3DS' greatest hits.

Score: 9/10
    Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/...oject_mirai_dx

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I've been playing this Miku/Vocaloid game, and it is pretty great! It sure is chock full of content. It seems I unlock something new every time I complete even a small action in the game. Imagine how much content there is to unlock in Smash 4, and then, I dunno, multiply it by a number between 1 to 3 and you'll have an idea of how many songs, items, titles, and stamps you can unlock in this Miku game.

Puyo Puyo and Reversi (Othello) are available to play in-game if you don't want to play the music-rhythm stages.

> FREE CONTENT NOTICE (See below.) <

Speaking of which, the game arrived with 19 double-sided AR cards for a total of 38 AR choices. Good news! You don't need to buy the game to get the cards. You can print your own from SEGA's Web site. Just visit http://miku.sega.com/miraidx/ar_download.html and download the 5 PDF's there to print your own. Even better, SEGA has also made available dozens of game-themed wallpapers to download to your devices. Just visit the same page, http://miku.sega.com/miraidx/ar_download.html , to download all of the Miku and friends digital wallpapers. They are suitable for your desktop computers, laptop computers, tablets, or smart phones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Whoa whoa...hold those horses, Puyo Puyo is in there as a freebie? Mmmm haven't played that for years now and have been considering getting the US or import GBC game of that. I'm surprised at the 9/10 rating, that says a lot given especially the odd (for this market) subject matter style of it all. I found an hour long Japanese raw video of this game in use and it very well interests me, even if it is kind of weird feeling seeing some of those chibi sicky sweet stages going on with it.

I'm getting more curious about the background on this and reading up on Vocaloid. Is this software something anyone can own and tinker with? I see it's up to 3 released revisions and a 4th on the way or freshly out with lots of global personas, though nothing comes a shred near what Hatsune Miku (and friends) have pulled off. Some Japanese was genius in capitalizing on that and somehow getting it so popular it even will headline some concerts here in the US before the main act...all of nothing but a hologram and a really slick vocaloid program.

The metacritic overall ranking on it is nuts how high it is -- http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/h...critic-reviews

By the way button/stick wise play reminds me a lot of Gitaroo Man which I kind of miss.

Oh hey NZ17 I think you'll appreciate this: https://youtu.be/28FVxYQuLOQ?t=21s
    Last edited by Tanooki; 09-14-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I just bought a 2ds last week and look forward to getting this at some point but I'm finding games for this console are a bit expensive, they seem to stay at original prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do you need help as I don't believe you're looking very hard. Most the 3DS games have a $40 entry fee, a few are $30 though. Most of them tend to lose after not very long about $10 off the price making them $20-30, the exception would be the Nintendo made stuff as they can get away with it. If you don't mind used in really good shape type stuff, even then the Nintendo stuff can be had for maybe $20-25 down from $40.

I just pegged a like new Mario Kart 7 last weekend for $20. It seems to retail in various places these days for $30 but it came out at $40. You shouldn't feel it's expensive if you can get anything at the $30 price or less especially new, used if it was a $40 (or added CD Atlus nerd tax $50 box.) Also given that most the games on here are as fleshed out and in comparable size to console games, it's not really fair calling the stuff expensive as you're not paying $50-60 for them either. Perhaps you should have done research before buying the 2DS if you thought games cost too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Whoa whoa...hold those horses, Puyo Puyo is in there as a freebie? Mmmm haven't played that for years now and have been considering getting the US or import GBC game of that. I'm surprised at the 9/10 rating, that says a lot given especially the odd (for this market) subject matter style of it all. I found an hour long Japanese raw video of this game in use and it very well interests me, even if it is kind of weird feeling seeing some of those chibi sicky sweet stages going on with it.

I'm getting more curious about the background on this and reading up on Vocaloid. Is this software something anyone can own and tinker with? I see it's up to 3 released revisions and a 4th on the way or freshly out with lots of global personas, though nothing comes a shred near what Hatsune Miku (and friends) have pulled off. Some Japanese was genius in capitalizing on that and somehow getting it so popular it even will headline some concerts here in the US before the main act...all of nothing but a hologram and a really slick vocaloid program.

The metacritic overall ranking on it is nuts how high it is -- http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/h...critic-reviews

By the way button/stick wise play reminds me a lot of Gitaroo Man which I kind of miss.

Oh hey NZ17 I think you'll appreciate this: https://youtu.be/28FVxYQuLOQ?t=21s
    It's a lite battle-focused version of Puyo Puyo 2.
    From what I can tell the first acknowledged English localization under the original title. The arcade one's origins aren't 100% certain, and the Wii VC game was an untranslated import.

Vocaloid itself is just music software. About as exciting as Microsoft Office at first glance. But I've never used it.
    Lum fan.