Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Games You Wish Were Remade into 16-Bit

  1. #1
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Milwaukie (Oak Grove), Oregon
    Posts
    346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Games You Wish Were Remade into 16-Bit

    Does anyone have any favorite 8-bit-era games they wish were remade into 16-bit Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis style graphics???

    My picks:
    Clash at Demonhead
    Faxanadu
    The Battle of Olympus
    Legacy of the Wizard

    If yes, which developer do you think would be best in achieving such a conversion?
    Visual Concepts (Taz-Mania, Claymates, Clay Fighter)
    Rare (Donkey Kong Country trilogy)

    ~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 04-22-2015 at 09:53 PM.

  2. #2
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,774
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    Yes to all of those. If Legacy of the Wizard was released today as a tough indie title, it would praised for its innovation on the Metroidvania theme as opposed to being called too hard and outdated. Friggin' awesome game.

    Some I'dve enjoyed:
    Guardian Legend
    Getsu Fuuma-Den
    Rygar
    Dr. Chaos
    Wai Wai World
    Space Hunter
    Air Fortress
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Golvellius
    Rescue: The Embassy Mission

  3. #3
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    I'll be unoriginal and say Kid Icarus. This is because someone was a mean tease in the later 90s and made a demo acting like it was some lost test or something of the sort in making a Super Kid Icarus and it looked awesome.

    I think some of the weaker arcade ports on the NES could have been awesome with the full color palette and rich audio of the SNES. Imagine something off the wall like Spy Hunter if it had the Peter Gunn track using sampled instruments and the road, cars, explosions and the rest were a lot closer to the box art style quality over what was there (or even in the arcade.)

  4. #4
    Pear (Level 6) retroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,260
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

    Default

    I would have loved to see TMNT The Arcade game come to the Sega Genesis or SNES. The NES port was good for what it was, but I would have loved a 16 bit console port.

  5. #5
    Kirby (Level 13) Leo_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,878
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I wish Metroid II had been given the Zero Mission treatment on the Game Boy Advance.

    I believe that the GBA is considered 32 bit, but since it's widely viewed as being a handheld system with capabilities akin to the Super Nintendo, I believe this one falls within the spirit of this topic.

  6. #6
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,774
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    I'd agree with that. Zero Mission was an awesome remake. Return of Samus, if done with the same care, would probably be even better.

  7. #7
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Gameguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    7,504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

    Default

    I thought this would be about modern games being remade into 16-Bit. For 8-Bit into 16-Bit, I guess all of them? I can't see how any would be worse for being made into 16-Bit, assuming nothing about the gameplay would be altered.

  8. #8
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    96
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Agreed on Faxanadu, CaD and BoO. Honestly anything with some potential would apply and even classics like SMB benefited.

    NES:
    Metal Storm
    Rygar (lots to polish up here)
    Bionic Commando (updated interface and levels that flow better)
    Blaster Master (by the same team)
    Boulder Dash (smoother difficutly curve with less trial & error, smoother controls, bosses)
    DuckTales 2 (or a sequel)
    Gargoyle's Quest II (faster gameplay, more intimidating bosses, smoother difficulty, battery save)
    Jackal
    MM series (on SNES in 2 packs; 1-3 and 4-6)
    Shadow of the Ninja
    Shatterhand
    Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Grafitti
    TMNT III
    Ufouria/Hebereke
    Vice: Project Doom
    Willow
    Zelda II

    SMS:
    Bubble Bobble (with less sprite flicker and more forgiving jump controls)
    Golvellius (updated controls, more interesting dungeons and less grinding)
    Zillion
    Wonder Boy II & III
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Kenseiden
    Power Strike 2
    Fantasy Zone 2
    Illusion series (3 pack)
    Enduro Racer
    Asterix
    Cyborg Hunter/Borgman
    Gangster Town, Laser Ghost
    Shinobi (know about the PCE port)
    Ninja Gaiden
    Psychic World
    Spellcaster
    Star Wars

    GG:
    Sylvan Tale
    Tail's Adventure
    Royal Stone, Crystal Warriors
    Power Strike 2 GG
    Kishin Douji Zenki
    Sonic: Triple Trouble
    GG Shinobi 1-2
    Fantasy Zone Gear
    Shining Force: Final Conflict
    Deep Duck Trouble
    Yaiba Adventures

  9. #9
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I wish Metroid II had been given the Zero Mission treatment on the Game Boy Advance.

    I believe that the GBA is considered 32 bit, but since it's widely viewed as being a handheld system with capabilities akin to the Super Nintendo, I believe this one falls within the spirit of this topic.
    I totally agree with that. I can't even play that game anymore because it's just so infuriating without a map and the gray scale as you just end up going in circles. I'm not sure I'd buy it again even now that I have a GBC once more (same with that second Kid Icarus.)

    Thinking about it more though, given there is a really excellent picture used to paint this mental image -- Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2 boosted to the quality of 3 on the SNES.

  10. #10
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    174
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Any/all of the 2D pokemon.

    By which I mean, I want a SNES version.

  11. #11
    Key (Level 9) Satoshi_Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I'd agree with that. Zero Mission was an awesome remake. Return of Samus, if done with the same care, would probably be even better.
    I personally hope Nintendo will never bother with remaking Metroid II. It's not that I don't think it could be great, it's just I'm of the opinion that for all the effort that Nintendo would need to go to properly remake Metroid II to fix all that was horribly wrong with the original GB release, they'd be better off making an new, original Metroid game. Metroid II is a game about crawling around in tight caverns seeking out and killing Metroids. Even if the gameplay was tweaked and graphics made more proportional so Samus doesn't take up thiree quarters of the screen, the core of what Metroid II is would not change, and it would be a damn shame if Nintendo focused on modernizing a game that would be flawed no matter what rather than an entirely new Metroid game.

    Imagine a new game like with fresh ideas like Fusion had, but without the constant handholding, overly horizontal layout, annoying X-parasite bosses and eye bleedingly bright colors.

    Imagine a Metroid game that's even better than Zero Mission, just as Zero Mission was an even better game than Super Metroid.

    Now that you've imagined that, tuck it away and forget all that because Nintendo will never allow another 2D Metroid, or at the rate they're going, never make another Metroid game themselves period.
    Just like F-Zero.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

  12. #12
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    96
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    ^I agree, but AM2R is still looking pretty sweet.

  13. #13
    Strawberry (Level 2) retroguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    402
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzelherz View Post
    Any/all of the 2D pokemon.

    By which I mean, I want a SNES version.
    Here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1981/

    You'd need to patch a FireRed rom, but this is probably as close as you'll get to an SNES rendition unless some enterprising fan decides to make a homebrew SNES game from scratch.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

  14. #14
    celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,774
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I thought this would be about modern games being remade into 16-Bit. For 8-Bit into 16-Bit, I guess all of them? I can't see how any would be worse for being made into 16-Bit, assuming nothing about the gameplay would be altered.
    There are some NES games I personally wouldn't want re-imagined, mainly because the aesthetic they put out is so unique, that I wouldn't want it changed. Really, that's the main reason I didn't mention Kid Icarus-its dark ruins and awesome chiptunes wouldn't translate to SNES, so I wouldn't want it remade, though I'dve liked a sequel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I personally hope Nintendo will never bother with remaking Metroid II. It's not that I don't think it could be great, it's just I'm of the opinion that for all the effort that Nintendo would need to go to properly remake Metroid II to fix all that was horribly wrong with the original GB release, they'd be better off making an new, original Metroid game. Metroid II is a game about crawling around in tight caverns seeking out and killing Metroids. Even if the gameplay was tweaked and graphics made more proportional so Samus doesn't take up thiree quarters of the screen, the core of what Metroid II is would not change, and it would be a damn shame if Nintendo focused on modernizing a game that would be flawed no matter what rather than an entirely new Metroid game.

    Imagine a new game like with fresh ideas like Fusion had, but without the constant handholding, overly horizontal layout, annoying X-parasite bosses and eye bleedingly bright colors.

    Imagine a Metroid game that's even better than Zero Mission, just as Zero Mission was an even better game than Super Metroid.

    Now that you've imagined that, tuck it away and forget all that because Nintendo will never allow another 2D Metroid, or at the rate they're going, never make another Metroid game themselves period.
    Just like F-Zero.


    I don't think it's as insane a prospect to think this one might get a remake, though it'd probably be a digital download only these days... but this thread is fantasy to begin with, because they aren't porting anything to SNES ever again. Still, given that the repetitive caverns are Metroid II's biggest flaw and how well they fixed that problem in Zero Mission, I think it'd be awesome.

    I'd argue that Super Metroid is still better than Zero Mission, though. Its overall design and control I find superior and preferable, as well as having better graphics and sound.

    Back to the actual topic, Castlevania II would've made me really happy. Aside from the obvious translation issues that ROM hackers have addressed, it would have been awesome to see Simon's quest re-imagined on SNES, especially given how IV was essentially a re-imagining of the original, a re-done II to cap off Simon's adventures would have been neat instead of re-imagining the first game twice more in arcades and X68000.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-23-2015 at 01:52 PM.

  15. #15
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,778
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I thought this would be about modern games being remade into 16-Bit.
    Same here. And in all honesty that would be a more interesting topic.

    So how about doing that?

    I wonder what Silent Hill would be like on the SNES?
    or Devil May Cry?
    or Armored Core?

    Also, I kinda wish that Resident Evil Gaiden would get ported to another console, perhaps with updated graphics, and with both an option for the original gameplay and for "updated" gameplay that would be more like a top-view action game.

  16. #16
    Key (Level 9) Satoshi_Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I don't think it's as insane a prospect to think this one might get a remake, though it'd probably be a digital download only these days... but this thread is fantasy to begin with, because they aren't porting anything to SNES ever again. Still, given that the repetitive caverns are Metroid II's biggest flaw and how well they fixed that problem in Zero Mission, I think it'd be awesome.

    I'd argue that Super Metroid is still better than Zero Mission, though. Its overall design and control I find superior and preferable, as well as having better graphics and sound.
    Sorry, I didn't explain myself too well there.

    Obviously there will never be a fourth gen remake of any game aside from simple ones or where the ip holder is okay with it (very few of those) so I'm strictly talking about digital-only modern releases that mimic a retro style like Shovel Knight.

    My point was simply that a new 2D Metroid would be wasted on fixing all that's wrong with Metroid II as even after all that effort, the base game - go kill metroids - is too simple to compete with the other 2D Metroids. Even as it is Metroid games are criticized for being too short. Even a really good Metroid II remake would be panned by the critics and probably not sell well enough to justify the development.

    If Nintendo was to do another 2D Metroid, they'd be far better off to start from scratch than redo Metroid II. Unless they were to expand Metroid II beyond recognition, a new Metorid would be better.

    But since this is a fantasy thread where fantasy game will be perfect and sell a gazillion copies, I'm not opposed to the idea of a Metroid II remake. Only the rational part of me is against it because poor sales of a metroid II remake would be the justifcation nintendo could cite when people complain about no 2D Metroid.

    As for Super vs Zero Mission, I can't fault you for choosing Super. Super is much more iconic, even though Zero Mission has it beat when it comes to actual world design and controls. the sound of super sure is superior, but overall, I think Zero Mission is the better of the two, if only slightly.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

  17. #17
    Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    I would have really liked to have seen Crystalis get the 16 bit treatment.

  18. #18
    Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I've always thought a SNES Metal Gear game would've been awesome.

  19. #19
    Kirby (Level 13) Leo_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,878
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    There are some NES games I personally wouldn't want re-imagined, mainly because the aesthetic they put out is so unique, that I wouldn't want it changed. Really, that's the main reason I didn't mention Kid Icarus-its dark ruins and awesome chiptunes wouldn't translate to SNES, so I wouldn't want it remade, though I'dve liked a sequel.
    Out of curiosity, what do you think of the 3D Classics version for the 3DS? Beyond some superficial 3D effects, it basically adds SuperNes quality backgrounds to the levels and otherwise keeps the NES game pretty much intact.

    I thought it worked well. I wouldn't of minded seeing something similar on the Super Nintendo, back in the day.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-28-2015 at 02:51 AM.

  20. #20
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Ehhh no I think it would have converted nice, someone else did too as they took the entire game and gave it sampled music and SNES style colorization and detail to the existing game alone.
    http://home.comcast.net/~superkidicarus/
    http://home.comcast.net/~superkidicarus/justgame.html <-- play here
    http://www.nintendofuse.com/2012/01/...16-bit-remake/ <-- youtube video to lazy out to

    It's solid.

    There's also this demo?
    http://www.doperoms.com/roms/super_n...0Story%20.html Pretty sure that's the demo I was thinking of.

    Edit: Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NVHMtFU8I Kid Icarus Prime, windows download, not sure if it's complete or not, but looks impressive, just haven't fired it up yet.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 04-28-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Mega Man 7 remade into 8-bit
    By Borman in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 11:08 PM
  2. Ys I and II being remade for DS
    By 7th lutz in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 10:46 AM
  3. The NES game that NEEDS to be remade.
    By dbiersdorf in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 01:39 PM
  4. Which game, would you most like to see remade?
    By Shady Smurf in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 12:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •