ok so lately I have been wanting to try my new RGB monitor with something and then I remembered I have component cables for the PS2. so I hooked one up I am trading a friend for another PS2.
his is a flip top and hes been "having problems" with it but every time I look at it, it works/plays fine. so to avoid the whole thing I was going to trade him a fat. clean one up real good and it wont read discs. ok what evs happens to these with the alignment, cant get it to read, adjusted some pots, got improved spin speed. wont read.

next I dig out a super crusty one that's not in nearly as nice of shape, works no probs. so we play test the heck out of it last night after I clean it, its working, not great, take a q tip to it. works better now. loads easily ect. ok that's done.

tonight I want to play some more in RGB because the PSX games we played looked AMAZING on the PS2 over component.

I just went through 5 systems, albeit really really dusty crusty systems and they too either wont read or the drawer is stuck but they can atleast read the disc stuck in the drawer but none of them that have games in them still are decent games. all 5 of these are recent systems. I've had DREs before but I can usually fix em and then sell em off, its usually just dirt or a mis alignment.

I get to the bottom of my pile, #6, of the stack. I know this one works. its one of 2 I've always had, infact it was the second one I bought right after high school to mod and I bought it then, when you could get fats new still, for $20 because it "didn't work" the a/v port is jacked but I bent it back into shape and it worked always. I modded it with a network adaptor and a hard drive and loaded imports to the drive and used action replay and some HD something or other to boot off of the drive with a memory card and a certain cd.

plug it in, turn it on, reads discs, great. but its got constantly scrolling lines that scroll diagonally from the top right down to the bottom left. its the kind that speed up and slow down. thought it was the drive causing interference because well, sure the network adaptor has a 4 pin molex and a ide connector on it for a drive but it wasn't really suppoed to work like that all the time.

take it out, no change.

ARGH!

I've bought, fixed, and resold about 15 or 20 PS2's in my life but this has got to be the longest run I've had with consistently bad systems.

any one else ever have issues like this?
I know not many people buy mass quantities like I do but still....