Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Cards for classic gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You've clearly made your mind up too, and doing stuff 'period right' means just as it does. Make a machine like it was 1995 and run stuff on it that was intended for it from then. He has the box, just needs a few parts from the sound of it so that's hardly a big effort. It's really not that hard to get he doesn't want to simulate or emulate, so I don't get why there's this big fight over it when it shouldn't even be up for debate. As far as how well or not it runs isn't my concern, it would be his, ask him. I'm not making a 20 year old PC for fun.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanted to talk about old hardware. I only chose W98SE because it still had a pure dos mode that you could boot into. I hope every thread about old hardware on here and other sub forums derails into why do you want the hardware still? It is ok for someone to have hundreds of carts and controllers everywhere but keep an old dell tower for some PC gaming and it is like hell on earth. It is pathetic.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I only brought up a geforce 5 to bring it back on topic.
    Segway missed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    It is ok for someone to have hundreds of carts and controllers everywhere but keep an old dell tower for some PC gaming and it is like hell on earth. It is pathetic.
    Well said. Hypocritical if anyone snarking this subject has a CRT lying around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope every thread about old hardware on here and other sub forums derails into why do you want the hardware still?
    Don't you think knowing why you want the hardware is important when you're trying to decide what hardware you want?

And isn't trying to decide what hardware you want at least part of the reason why you started the thread in the first place? If that is irrelevant, then yes, I freely admit the point of this thread escaped me, but the first post left me with that distinct impression.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 05-01-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will check out that list. I will probably just end up with a few cards to swap out and test. It won't be as bad as you guys are making it out to be to find a card. You guys act like these games never ran on this old hardware. Besides it is all so cheap that it almost doesn't matter if it does work. Some of it is as much as a shitty meal at McDonald's. Haha

Does anyone know of a forum for classic PC gaming that doesn't mention dosbox any time someone asks a hardware question? No offense but it is kind of annoying. If I want to emulate the games I know how to do it and have been doing it before gog prepackaged them with dosbox.

Thanks for the help though.
    *claps* I feel you but I guess I'm one of those crazy pc purists. Don't mind Jorpho, he's a nice guy but suggesting DOS BOX and talking about the frustrations of old computers is kinda his stock response to any questions on period hardware. I second VOGONS as a place for info on retro pc stuff. The vintage computer forums is also a good choice. I usually assume if someone is asking about gaming on period hardware they know somthing about computers and know dosbox exists so I get it can be annoying when you go to a retro forum and ask somthing and just get "dosbox is easier" it's happened to me. It's like walking into a record store, asking a question and being told to go buy an ipod.
    Last edited by Soviet Conscript; 05-10-2015 at 08:26 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Does anyone know of a forum for classic PC gaming that doesn't mention dosbox any time someone asks a hardware question?
    http://vogons.org/

In fact they've got a whole section dedicated to classic hardware.

I agree it's kind of annoying (and hypocritical) how with PC gaming everyone is expected to just emulate and Dosbox is supposed to be your first choice rather than a last resort. I mean imagine if someone did that for the NES. "Man, don't even get a console, just use FCE Ultra! It's much cheaper and you don't have to deal with blinking lights!"

Also for the video card question, I personally use a Voodoo 3 in my rig and it's worked like a charmander.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    It's like walking into a record store, asking a question and being told to go buy an ipod.
    Good analogy. I've found most of the advice on Vogons to be sound.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I had a GeForce GTS/Pro after my VooDoo3 3000 and it never failed me.
    avoid GeForce 3 stuff though, it isn't really a new card, just overclocked version of the 2 series, 4 was a huge jump but I was able to overclock my 2 to outperform 4s

I was the first one in our computer group to break 1 Ghz using the GeForce 2 and a Duron 800, managed to get the duron up to 1100Mhz, and man it took a lot of juice

Not to nitpick, but the Geforce 2 was based on the Geforce 1, and the Geforce 3 was a new design from the ground up. The Geforce 4 was based on the Geforce 3, just optimized to hell and back [generally]. It was also one of the first cards to have Direct X certified shaders working, and Morrowind was one of the first games to showcase that with its water effects. Anyways, If one wants to REALLY get the top-dog card of that era, then aim for a Radeon 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro. The former was the first ATI card to not only have excellent drivers, but to have [for the time] performance that ran circles around the Nvidia offerings at the time [Geforce 3/4 and even the overhyped Geforce FX card that turned out to be a disaster for nvidia]. And the latter was a decent performance improvement over the 9700 Pro, using largely the same card design but optimized more.

Imo, for a real classic computer though...I would go with a Voodoo 3. Most people these days would go "voo-doo wha?", it just smacks of classic PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I had a Geforce FX 5200 Ultra (PCI) running with a 2 Ghz Celeron. It ran Halo and Jedi Knight II: Outcast pretty well.