Thread: Ralph Baer's Name Mentioned Across Australia

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Ralph Baer's Name Mentioned Across Australia

Back in February 2015, I was watching my favorite videogame-based T.V. show, Good Game, a nationally-aired Australian television program. The show had just returned from hiatus and was running a catch-up segment talking about some of the news which occurred during its break. During this time some obituaries were mentioned. I thought that Ralph H. Baer was going to be amongst them. Imagine my dismay when those who were mentioned were only a guy who had written for an Australian videogames news Web site and an Australian developer who had worked on mobile games.

I couldn't let this stand. I wrote into the show despite expecting that I wouldn't receive a response; however, I nonetheless wanted to vent my feelings. The most I expected from the company was a form letter or a reply written by some intern. Imagine my surprise when my letter acted as the impetus for an entire segment about the life of videogames pioneer Ralph Baer! It wasn't just a short mention either - it was an entire 3:04 long segment - that's over 10% of the episode's run-time! Yes, true enough, a few weeks after writing my letter, an episode of Good Game aired on March 3rd, 2015 talking about Mr. Baer. I helped to make a difference, and it was good. :-)

Though shorter than I would have liked it to be as much of what Ralph H. Baer was responsible for was skimmed over, the video was still well-produced. And my name and words as well as Mr. Baer's story were broadcast all across Australia with this episode which made me proud. So I am now here sharing it with you. Please watch and enjoy.

If the video doesn't automatically play at the right point, jump to the beginning of the video to get it going, and then jump to 13:37. That time-stamp shows that Ralph H. Baer truly was -elite- and ahead of his time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you're right and that strong letter did that, good on you. That is a hell of an oversight that needed to be called out.