Thread: Games That You Like on Which You Can't Personally Complete a Replay

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Unhappy Games That You Like on Which You Can't Personally Complete a Replay

So we're talking about games which you have played before, completed before, and liked. You liked them so much that you want to replay them. And you still have the games and have tried to replay them. But for some reason, despite truly liking a particular game, you just can't complete a new playthrough of it.

A personal example of this is Final Fantasy VII. I did like FF7 - I still do. It had problems, yes, and more were added by Sony's localization. But I still like the world, the story, the aesthetic, and the characters. (This only pertains to the Final Fantasy VII stuff from before the "Advent Children" era sequels and spinoffs.)

However, despite numerous times trying to replay the game from the beginning, I just can't. It doesn't matter if it is the PSX version or the recent PC re-release, I just can't play Final Fantasy VII for long on these subsequent playthroughs. The furthest I can get is to the point when you first leave Midgar. And that's it. For some reason, I can't play further into the game past that point.

It's like there is some mental roadblock where my mind goes, "Nope, no further. I'm fuzzled and we are stopping here." And no further can I proceed.

Which games cause this for you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for the PS1. When I first played it, it was one of the greatest and most epic adventures I'd ever had the pleasure of experiencing, not least because of the awesome animated cutscenes that made the story seem that much better, that much more involving.

For some reason, though, if I try and do a playthrough now, I get to the point where they take the ship to the mainland and never go past the first town there. I don't think it's lack of interest, I think I just hit the wall I always do when I try and play an RPG: Length. No matter how much I'm enjoying an RPG, I rarely make it all the way to the end because I lack the patience to get there. Lunar was one of the few I did finish because it was that good, but it just doesn't happen that often. Pokémon games don't seem to trigger this problem, but I think that comes down to the concept and the gameplay more than the story.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Final Fantasy (NES version) (#1) does it. It took me as a kid when it was new a long time to finish, within a day my ass brother decided to erase my save game and re-save it in the first town. Ever since then I can rarely take it beyond Elfland, definitely not further than grinding just outside Melmond at the very most. The game is so damn cheap when it comes to giving out XP and GP it's a dog to deal with again after that rare as the prices get up there. Combine that with the no-retargeting of dead monsters and a few other dated nuances I can't do it. GBA had a re-release, that one I did finish once or twice because it was modernized, but I had to force myself through those parts due to the mental block despite the fact it isn't cheapo on the XP/GP output.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much any rpg that I actually managed to finish. I couldn't see myself committing to a game like that anymore. Zelda: OoT does it for me. I recently tried to replay it on 3DS and good lord, does this game start off slow or what? I forgot how boring it was running around that stupid elf village, trying to get out of there, and on your merry adventure. I do not like that village/forest music either, very aggravating.

Yet I remember staying up all hours of the night with this game, trying to complete every little side-quest, and finding everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had so much fun playing The World Ends With You that I can hardly contemplate starting over from scratch. I wouldn't want to ruin my good memories.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for the PS1. When I first played it, it was one of the greatest and most epic adventures I'd ever had the pleasure of experiencing, not least because of the awesome animated cutscenes that made the story seem that much better, that much more involving.

For some reason, though, if I try and do a playthrough now, I get to the point where they take the ship to the mainland and never go past the first town there. I don't think it's lack of interest, I think I just hit the wall I always do when I try and play an RPG: Length. No matter how much I'm enjoying an RPG, I rarely make it all the way to the end because I lack the patience to get there. Lunar was one of the few I did finish because it was that good, but it just doesn't happen that often. Pokémon games don't seem to trigger this problem, but I think that comes down to the concept and the gameplay more than the story.
    I'm sure it doesn't help that Meribia is obscenely large. I hardly had the patience for that town even the first time I played Lunar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How you feel about Meribia is how I end up feeling about basically any RPG once they get over the 30hour mark, 20 if it's just a decent one. Same feeling too about most 3D RPGs as well since they want to make everything so damned big it takes forever just to cross some dinky little town of little to no value other than to heal, sleep(save), and buy crap before doing what's needed.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I had so much fun playing The World Ends With You that I can hardly contemplate starting over from scratch. I wouldn't want to ruin my good memories.
    I loved the bejeesus out of that game. I haven't tried going back yet aside from replaying some areas on tougher difficulty... but that's been years. If I ever do, I'll probably just... well, I don't know. It was awesome, though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'm sure I'll have a pretty hard time doing Abadox again. Just because it was pretty hard the first time.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most PS1 games. I had a lot of fun with mine while it was relevant, but now the games sit in a horrible spot in between generations where they lack the charm of the earlier consoles, and the 3D graphics haven't aged well. The load times on the PS1 were pretty bad as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I loved the bejeesus out of that game. I haven't tried going back yet aside from replaying some areas on tougher difficulty... but that's been years. If I ever do, I'll probably just... well, I don't know. It was awesome, though.
    I 100%'d it. Took me a hundred hours in the end, I think. I did need a FAQ in the end for the final, hidden boss; there's a trick to make it much, much easier that's not at all obvious.

It occurs to me I did quite a number on my touch screen with that one, which is another good reason to have second thoughts about replaying it. On the other hand, Kirby Mass Attack probably isn't doing it much better at the moment.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Quote Originally Posted by Kwyjibo View Post
    Most PS1 games. I had a lot of fun with mine while it was relevant, but now the games sit in a horrible spot in between generations where they lack the charm of the earlier consoles, and the 3D graphics haven't aged well. The load times on the PS1 were pretty bad as well.
    This.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould