Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Was "Like Igarashi? Like Castlevania? Then It is Time to Decide: Sword or Whip")

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I personally don't have an issue with 2.5D. Look at Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD, an upscaled 3DS game. Coming from seeing what Mercury Steam could do with 2.5D on the 3DS, it's very disappointing seeing what's been done so far with Bloodstained.

Compared to the below, I really hope they're just testing out different techniques on what they'll use to finalize the graphics and it looks much better, but like I said, I doubt it. Despite that, if an amazing gameplay comes out of it when it comes to gameplay, then the graphics will be a disappointment, but obviously something I'll live with.

Last edited by kupomogli; 12-05-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2017 for a 2.5D game? Yeah. Indies are pumping these games out far quicker. Expectations are too high based on this dude's name. Take a look at his recent resume. Game nerds hold on too tight and disregard reality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    2017 for a 2.5D game? Yeah. Indies are pumping these games out far quicker. Expectations are too high based on this dude's name. Take a look at his recent resume. Game nerds hold on too tight and disregard reality.
    Plus I mean they got over 5 million from the Kickstarter. I would think they could get this done sooner. But then again I have no idea what goes into it. Hoping for the best.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    Plus I mean they got over 5 million from the Kickstarter. I would think they could get this done sooner. But then again I have no idea what goes into it. Hoping for the best.
    They and the Yooka-Laylee guys were both initially shooting for a late 2016 release. That's more than likely not going to happen, but the Yooka-Laylee people seem to be sticking by it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of depends even with that kind of cash. Everyone wants a paycheck as it goes along so that's a good chunk to divvy out to live off of, and then you'll need to get programming tools and other apps/licenses so it will cut into it. Kickstarter also gets over 10% of the cut as well so they're getting only 4-4.5M of the 5M pot they racked up too. You also need to slice out any garbage they'll have to produce for all the fanboys who paid up on various tiers so that comes out of the budget too. Art books, and other merchandise aren't free to produce, especially in smaller numbers when they cost more.

I forgot about that fun 3DS game of mine going HD. I know it hit PS3, think it's on Steam too, I should look.

As to those very alpha images, the bottom one loses good much detail, even the face of the character seems washed away so the only one I see much of any value in was the first top one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The graphics from before were clearly work in progress because they've just recently released a new update on what the game could potentially look like with the newest set of shaders.

Here are images for background 1 and character 1, as well as background 3 and character 3, both being interchangeable with your preferred choice. For me, I'll be okay with whichever background and character that they choose. With the first background, while it's less sharper and shows less details in the textures, the area looks more worn in and grittier. The second picture though shows it much more detailed and sharper which looks really nice, it does sort of have that kind of plastic like look to it a bit(only a bit.) The first character model looks really nice and blends with the background, but . The second character model looks amazing but with it's sort of anime look it does sort of clash with the background. It's really unfortunate we're given a choice between the two character models instead of having the option to switch between both. Seperately, my favorite between the two would be background 1 and character 3, but background 1 is a much better fit with character 1 and background 3 is a much better fit with character 3.

You can find all the images at the kickstarter, but I've only included background 1 character 1 and background 3 character 3 images. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1470661

Background 1, character 1.

Background 3, character 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

With the girl it's like a more realistic texture versus well animated cartoon texture, both work, more of a preference game. Background color/lighting is kind of more of a more light vs more dark. At least they're making progress and posting updates on it, so they're less likely to take crap like Mighty No 9 did (speaking of that, I can't seem to find info on a physical 3ds/vita release anymore.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I would have been fine with either one winning the poll, but background 3 and character 3 won. Here's a video they've released moving the camera around the character and then moving the light source as well as the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djiqVFnS30g

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Now that Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is available for purchase for PS4, XBO, Windows, and Switch as well as Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (its 8-bit-style counterpart), what do you all think of the game(s)? Good, bad, blase? I've heard that the Switch port has serious problems, but the other ones run right.

The user reviews on MetaCritic outline most of the problems with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Digital Foundry even posted a breakdown of the Switch port's problems on YouTube.

Personally I'll be passing the game by, however other people seem to like these new games. What are your thoughts?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

83% right now at GameRankings.com. so its considered slightly above average

I watched videos. Looks pretty good. It made me think the testers are the people buying the game though, rather than people being paid for such purposes. The version 1.0.1 stuff is dumb. Just make the game right to begin with

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

In all likelihood, 505 Games forced the developer to rush the game out because the project has been going on for, what, 5 years? They probably lost their patience and wouldn't wait any longer for the game to be cleaned up.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I picked up Curse of the Moon when it was released for Switch and got it free a few months later for XB1 through Games with Gold. It was fine for what it was. I prefer linear 'vania games so I've had no interest in Ritual.