Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Was "Like Igarashi? Like Castlevania? Then It is Time to Decide: Sword or Whip")

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Was "Like Igarashi? Like Castlevania? Then It is Time to Decide: Sword or Whip")

It looks like Iga(rashi) is about to launch a 2D "Metroidvania" without Konami. (It seems like everybody who can is leaving Konami these days.) Right now, all that is known about it is at this "teaser" site located online at [ http://swordorwhip.com/ ]. Going by the art style of the Web site, this new game will feature art very similar to the PSX, GBA, & DS Castlevania games. More information is supposed to be available sometime next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

What is this? a miserable pile of secrets!
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I approve of this mass bleed of talent being unshackled from the dying beast that is Konami. Good for him.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I'll take more 2D Castlevania(ish)! Action/adventure games like that are many of my very favorite games, and he's made some excellent ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Only hours into the Kickstarter and already funded lol, looks like it is now reality.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...l-of-the-night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And now at $880K already it ate up all their stretch goals beyond having Hayter (solid snake) voice for the game.

I see this one will have a physical and digital release. Very pleased seeing that indeed. PS4 or PC(steam)....tough call. Again another case of a good developer and a company gone bad, getting away to make something the consumer actually will enjoy and they'll enjoy making instead of more compromise and meh.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I haven't donated yet, but if I do I'm thinking about the $100 one. It'd be nice to have my name immortalized in a game and with this one it'll be one that I more than likely will enjoy.

*edit*

I just threw $100 on it. I'm hoping I didn't throw my money away because IGA has pushed so much garbage out before Konami finally booted his ass. However not only is he trying to get himself out there in the industry again, he's making his first side scrolling exploration on console since SotN.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-11-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

A Twitter account to follow along on the fun: https://twitter.com/swordorwhip

"Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night" (the game's official name) has now passed $1,784,389 pledged by backers. That was fast! They have already flown through another batch of stretch goals.

An 8 hour off-and-on chat / game playing with Koji Igarashi and "Kinda Funny Games": http://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames/v/4926236

IGA on His Castlevania Spiritual Successor, Konami, More - Kinda Funny Gamescast Special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TzfM6QUs6A

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad it's on these shitty consoles instead of 3DS. Looks like I'll never play it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm interested in Bloodstained but have also been waiting a long time for a 2D Metroid and 2D Castlevania on 3DS. I do have Mirrors of Fate(2.5D) but I'd like something a little more similar to the GBA Castlevania and Metroid games. But for now Bloodstained: ROTN is looking pretty good and I'm glad it got funded so quickly.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Too bad it's on these shitty consoles instead of 3DS. Looks like I'll never play it...
    I hear that. I'd probably buy it on PC, when discounted, since it's DRM'd up with Steam (jerks.) MIghty09 I was up for, but I refused to buy it on a console being stuck there as a download, but the funding was so blown out it is getting a physical release on the 3DS so I'll wait the added 1, 4, 6...months and buy that. I did it with that Cave Story 3D(S) so I'm fine being patient.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I took the $100 pledge. Does anybody know how to select which system you want it for? it didn't even ask me. I'm assuming they contact you via e-mail. I've never done a kickstarter before, so I'm not fully familiar how it works. I know I probably should have researched it before I dropped $100 haha.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I took the $100 pledge. Does anybody know how to select which system you want it for? it didn't even ask me. I'm assuming they contact you via e-mail. I've never done a kickstarter before, so I'm not fully familiar how it works. I know I probably should have researched it before I dropped $100 haha.
    Once the campaign is over, they will send out a backer survey and that's where you tell them what version you would like.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised they're using Unreal Engine 4 for it. Is there any point in using that engine for a freaking 2.5D game and then not being able to port it over to systems like Wii U, 3DS, and Vita?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I'm surprised they're using Unreal Engine 4 for it. Is there any point in using that engine for a freaking 2.5D game and then not being able to port it over to systems like Wii U, 3DS, and Vita?
    The current market for WiiU, 3DS and Vita games is frankly tiny compared to the market for PC, PS4 and Xbox One games and the gap is only going to widen two years from now when the game is released. In fact, Nintendo may not even be supporting the current versions of the WiiU and 3DS at that point and the Vita may be replaced or even discontiuned. Also, Unreal Engine 4 has certain performance and graphic engine advantages over Unity and I suspect the programmers on the team probably have more experience with Unreal Engine than Unity.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    The current market for WiiU, 3DS and Vita games is frankly tiny compared to the market for PC, PS4 and Xbox One games and the gap is only going to widen two years from now when the game is released. In fact, Nintendo may not even be supporting the current versions of the WiiU and 3DS at that point and the Vita may be replaced or even discontiuned. Also, Unreal Engine 4 has certain performance and graphic engine advantages over Unity and I suspect the programmers on the team probably have more experience with Unreal Engine than Unity.
    Good points. But let's just eliminate the Vita from the door, that is pretty much officially dead. And I wish the prices would finally drop on the thing...

2 years? I've already lost interest...

But... I will say, there's been a little tradition going on with metroidvanias and Nintendo handhelds. A really excellent tradition.

And... this seems like a game for the hardcore Castlevania audience, so why cater to the casuals with PS4s and XB1s? The fans are directly funding you. No need for "market research" or any of that corporate nonsense. No excuses anymore with this kickstarter bullshit.
    Last edited by FieryReign; 05-16-2015 at 03:50 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    UE4 is supposed to be ultra flexible in terms of systems and platforms. its range is from high end pc to crap android phones and all in between.

I'm sure there will be a way to make it on to new 3ds and others

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If it doesn't hit at least the New 3DS with the double spec stuff going on there, it's just a slap to the face to dedicated Nintendo buyers of all things handheld Castlevania as that support really kept his projects going. I get the Wii/U and the Vita, they're toast and totally done within 2 years. New3DS will be probably in its prime or last half of its life with something known coming in another 2 years for another year out. To not support is just shady, especially given the stunning influx of cash being thrown at them well over their needs. I'm pretty certain an added 200K for 'boss rush mode' is bullshit (ie: doesn't cost that much), at that level of cash you could totally work up another version instead and the pot just keeps growing. It is correct UE4 engine can go as high as what you have now maybe more, and as lowly as a couple year old or so android device, so outing something like the upgraded 3DS (if not the normal one either) seems weak to me.

I also find it silly they need this dough now with a vague promise of 2 years later, that seems a bit of a stretch for that kind of trust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fans are directly funding you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I also find it silly they need this dough now with a vague promise of 2 years later, that seems a bit of a stretch for that kind of trust.
    I find it funny that in the kickstarter video Iga says that he needs kickstarter to prove to his financial backers that this project is worth backing. This money is just gravy over the money already allocated to it.

I like that they are offering a physical version. I don't think I will kickstart but if they release a physical once its done I am in.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks good I hope everyone's money gets it funded. I am personally tired of the Metroidvania games. A traditional tough as nails 2D platformer akin to Castlevania 3 would be ideal. I mean they stopped making them because they were not making money plus they started to feel like the same thing over and over again. New sprites and characters will help a great deal though.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75