Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Was "Like Igarashi? Like Castlevania? Then It is Time to Decide: Sword or Whip")

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think this could turn out to be one of the best metroid-vania style game as well. I hope it hits the $5m mark, because a rouge mode will add on that much more replay value. It sucks that we have to wait so long to get the game, but I think it will be worth the weight. With 13hrs to go, I think it will hit the next stretch goal. It seems to be getting another pledge every 20 seconds or so while I was on the page.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only $200K to go for the $5M Stretch Goal with 10 hours left.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    Only $200K to go for the $5M Stretch Goal with 10 hours left.
    It looks like it has passed the $5mil mark with the latest update. The final stretch goal is "boss revenge mode" where you get to play as the bosses and fight against the good guys. it's $5.5M to reach that, and there are 7-8 hours left. I might try and catch some of the live stream about it tonight.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

*sigh*
    ........fine.
    $28 for a digital version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

We've hit every stretch goal and even hit the boss revenge goal they added afterwards. With how much potential this game has and the amount of funding it's had to acheive that goal something I wasn't confident in two weeks ago, I'm glad I took part in this funding. Also glad that everyone no matter what console they prefer, so long as it's pc or current gen, has a chance to experience this game.

So BetaWolf, I apologize for the douchebag response. We helped create this potentially amazing game together.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-12-2015 at 10:43 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

This is the game I've been waiting for the past 20 years, sotn is my all time favorite game. The portable games Iga made were amazing, but I always wanted a big budget home console metroidvania style game, I bought all the castlevania 2d, and i rented a couple of the 3d ones since n64 and they all sucked. This is the most epic fuck you we could give Konami, and im glad we did, we dont want god of warvania, they must be kicking themselves in the nuts right now!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    We've hit every stretch goal and even hit the boss revenge goal they added afterwards. With how much potential this game has and the amount of funding it's had to acheive that goal something I wasn't confident in two weeks ago, I'm glad I took part in this funding. Also glad that everyone no matter what console they prefer, so long as it's pc or current gen, has a chance to experience this game.

So BetaWolf, I apologize for the douchebag response. We helped create this potentially amazing game together.
    Me too. My response was a little unwarranted. I guess I do have a little bit of that Nintendo "fan" in me...

Anyways, I jumped for the Alchemist's Treasure version. I plan on getting it physically on Wii U and digitally on GOG. I'll probably leave the Wii U version sealed for a while and play the GOG version. On a side note, I am looking forward to seeing whether Armature Studios' Wii U engine affects Wii U development in the future.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just learned about this game, and want to learn more about it and possibly support it.

So are we positive that this will be designed as a 2D game, or is that just speculation? Is it pure 2D gameplay and visuals, or 2D gameplay with a 2.5D aesthetic (ala Street Fighter 4)?

Can I still fund the game, or is it too late for that? Where can I go to do this?

I've never funded a game before. If the game gets made and I funded it, am I entitled to own the game without having to fork over more money?

What happens if you fund a game and it doesn't get made? Do you get a refund? Or is funding a game as risky as forking money over to Phil Fish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The Kickstarter is already over and all stretch goals have been funded. We've received an estimated date of early 2017 but according to some people who have funded Kickstarter projects before, it'll probably be late 2017 or even 2018 before we see the game. The game is 2.5D. 3D on a 2D plane with cel shaded characters and enemies.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

And, as of the first update to show something close to an ingame screen shot, people are already complaining as we seem to have another Might No.9 situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hell I forgot about the project. That's not good going this long and nothing to show for it yet.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    We seem to have another Might No.9 situation.
    Would you please elaborate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The only in game stuff we've seen was back before the Kickstarter was completed, testing out moving the character back and forth across ohkoing enemies. He gave input that the character looked too stiff and needed a different looking animation, make her look like she was jogging to remove that stiff walking look. And to make the camera tilted a little bit so we could slightly see the floor instead of seeing the panel of the floor. But this was way back when.

I don't think people should be comparing this to Mighty No 9 right now because the game doesn't come out until 2017 at minimum. Mighty No 9 is already near completion and it looks disappointing. There's a big difference between a game that just started development this year and still has over a year development time compared to a game that's complete and looks like crap even then.

This right here is the only update we've seen, five months ago. It's also off screen which is even less of a representation. We shouldn't expect the game anytime soon and we should expect any updates any time soon. Let them make the game first so they can have something to show us. I'd rather not see anything and let them develop the game as good as they can than wasting time showing the community what little they have and then people ranting throwing hate at the game for something that isn't even close to finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-NF6SJxps
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-04-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For the general public or at the least paying parties should be allowed some kind of information, even if it's like at the top of every month just to know how things are swinging along with their hard spent funding of the project as after all it is an investment for those involved. A 30 day check in in text, not even pictures needed I don't think would be asking too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

^Okay, anyways I just got home and I was able to check my email(I can't check use my phone at work and my email won't let me access it at a different computer) so I see they've sent out an update with one image using two different shaders. I have to admit that the graphics do suck, badly I might add, but it's work in progress. Additionally, the kickstarter image said the graphics were a placeholder only and weren't what the final product would look like, they said it would be in 3D and what we've seen in the images were 2D. I agree that the 2D looks a whole hell of a lot better than what we have, but as I've said before, the game is over a year out and they've practically just started. We have no idea how much better that the graphically could end up looking, although I have a feeling this is about as good as they're going to get. I guess I should go back to being pissed that the Wii U got supported because the possibility that other consoles got downgraded for parity but whatever. Let's hope they do a major overhaul to the character model and graphical textures in future updates.

Anyways for those interested, here are the two images that show the differences in shaders. I personally prefer the first one, the second seems that it takes away effects, although since they're giving us a choice, couldn't they add it as an option in the game to change the shader at any time?

*edit*

I've submitted my feedback of what I liked on the first and what I liked on the second and if they could edit it and see how it would look. Additionally in the optional text, I made a comment about the graphics and that I'd like to see at the very least a major character model/enemy model overhaul before the games release going by what we've just seen.

Last edited by kupomogli; 12-05-2015 at 12:29 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Would you please elaborate?
    Mostly the visual style we're seeing with the last update. People were annoyed that the style shown in the Kickstarter isn't what we're going to see in the final game and Bloodstained is showing those same changes thus far.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Looking at the update/post in question, I think I can spot a few problems.

1) Inti Creates is developing Bloodstained for Igarashi. This is the same Inti Creates behind mediocre to bad game after mediocre to bad game with only a few slight exceptions. Some "prime" examples of Inti Creates's work include Eureka 7 V.1: New Wave, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Mega Man ZX Advent, Mighty Gunvolt, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, and Mighty No. 9.

2) Holy crap, that is terribly impractical "armor" to be wearing into combat against the violent, fangs-bared and claws-readied, foul forces of Hell unleashed upon the land. I know, a lot of games do this crap, but it is seriously annoying to me every time it happens. If anything, all the exposed skin should get scarred to Hell after a fight ensues as a result, but that never happens! Put on some real armor (not just this game), then we'll talk. Otherwise, the outside-of-the-story reasons for these forms of character design and adornment are obvious and lame.

3) To my knowledge it was never directly stated that the game was going to be in 2D. However the conceptual art for the project on Kickstarter which was showcased clearly implied that this was going to be a 2D game and not a 2.5D game. Plus, though this is still early in development, the 3D graphics do not feature the lavish details which are present in those conceptual illustrations. One might argue that such details are only practical in 2D illustrations and are nearly impossible to achieve in a 3D game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really loved the 2D look that they showed being played earlier in development. Reminded me a lot of SOTN which I believe was the whole point here and the reason so many people invested and got excited. The current screen shots above are disappointing to say the least. Honestly it's not rocket science. Give us a 2D SOTN/COTM style game for the next gen systems and everyone will be happy. I hope they pull it off but it seems to be going in the wrong direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    3) To my knowledge it was never directly stated that the game was going to be in 2D. However the conceptual art for the project on Kickstarter which was showcased clearly implied that this was going to be a 2D game and not a 2.5D game. Plus, though this is still early in development, the 3D graphics do not feature the lavish details which are present in those conceptual illustrations. One might argue that such details are only practical in 2D illustrations and are nearly impossible to achieve in a 3D game.
    Go to the Kickstarter campaign and scroll to the very bottom where it says faq. It was one of the questions asked during the ask IGA portions of the Kickstarter.

Why 2.5D.

Because this is an Igavania game, the gameplay and feel of traditional 2D games is non-negotiable. Even so, IGA decided to go with 2.5D for this project for both financial and artistic reasons. A 2.5D world built on Unreal Engine 4 was the right choice to balance development time, graphical fidelity, budget, and scope.

At the same time, IGA is very excited about exploring the paths a 2.5D style opens up within the classic Igavania formula. As he begins a new chapter of his career as a developer, he's looking forward to trying things that will enhance, rather than detract from, that core gameplay.

However, we would NEVER discount the fans' love for that classic style. The development team is looking forward to working with backers every step of the way to decide on custom shaders that will give the game a distinctive, hand-crafted look, so there are no surprises. Games like Guilty Gear and Strider are proof that 2.5D can be handled in a way that honors a classic aesthetic while allowing for new possibilities; that’s what IGA hopes to achieve with this project.

That said, one section of the castle will feature an area that Miriam can traverse in beautiful retro graphics. We are dubbing this section “the 8-bit level” although it may be close to 16 bit or 32 bit depending on how we mix it with the full game. While a full-blown 8-bit game doesn't fit into the full budget, backer support allows us to have fun with the development and create a little retro magic in our game.