Thread: Should I be concerned about this? (damaged genesis game)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Should I be concerned about this? (damaged genesis game)

I just received this game from eBay, and I don't even have a Genesis to test it atm(it's on the way).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If that's not dead I'd be surprised. It looks like the traces from those solder points go right into that torn off space which would have had a fat trace going around and down the sides towards the pin on the end unless you're lucky and it's a ground that won't get picked up.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That fat trace is probably ground. I don't think any of the nearby pins run directly into it. Just jump the solder points on both ends and it should work.

Also, if it wasn't described as not working or as having damage, I would complain.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I just sent them a message with links to the pics. The game is listed in "very good" condition, and they said they tested and cleaned it. It looks like it would be easy to fix, but my soldering iron is trash. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how they want to handle it and go from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you shouldn't have to repair a game sold as "very good" condition. Hopefully the seller makes good.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you look at that trace you will see that it leads to three different pins on the genesis cart slot that connect to ground. It appears that everything has a ground connection through the console, and I wouldn't be surprised if the game still works in its present condition. The seller may have been unaware of any damage to the PCB.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yes like these guys here said, its that fat trace. It could be jumped. Need someone who knows what they are doing and this game can definitely be saved. Good game too. Should be saved.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

In all likelihood that game came that way from Sega's manufacturing plant and works. Their quality control after 1992/1993 left something to be desired- if you look at the top edge you will see two sets of notches which is where the circuit board is snapped off a larger sheet and it corresponds with the chunk of ground plane missing. As others have already pointed out it's redundantly traced to the card edge.

Don't harass the seller about it until you get to test it, you have a long window for eBay + Paypal claims.

LOL at Tanooki. Surprised.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah most sellers don't even have screwdrivers to open up carts. They just pop it in a system and if it starts up they sell it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I already sent them a message, but it was more of a heads up because I want to test the game out to see if it works before making any demands or anything. I understand that it could have been broken from the factory, and that it could work just fine, but I do expect better from something listed as very good. Technically it's supposed to have the box and manual to fall under that category to begin, but I obviously knew that those things weren't included just from the item description.

What do you guys think about it being listed as "very good" with this internal damage? I know it is internal and the game could work just fine, but there are only 2 screws stopping them from opening it up. A bit driver set with a tri-screw driver cost me $5 on eBay, and it works on at least 4 different consoles. The reason I opened it in the first place was because the PCB was rattling around and I wanted to find out why. The seller could have done the same, just to make sure nothing was wrong. I don't know if the PCB rattling around is an uncommon thing for Genesis games though, this will be my first one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Personally I think nothing of it. You can't just assume everyone is a collector and will open up every single cart they get with a security bit to verify the internal workings. From the surface it looks very good had you left it inside the plastic. Cart looks nice, label isn't all classic genesis faded/worn/ripped through.