Thread: NES- Drakon did his composite vs. RGB comparisons of his AV famicom wrong. Here's some better comparisons.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES- Drakon did his composite vs. RGB comparisons of his AV famicom wrong. Here's some better comparisons.

I noticed in google that Drakon once posted a thread about his RGB modded AV famicom - he compared captures of his composite and RGB outputs to show the clear superiority of RGB. I was curious since my composite signal didn't look very crappy like Drakon's did on my AV modded Famicom, and upon capturing discovered that Drakon had the black levels all wrong on his card!

Here's some updated comparisons. I personally prefer the composite to RGB, because the colors are right and the fringing artifacts the NES had are still there.

I captured from my AV-modded original Famicom. It's not a AV famicom, but it used the AV famicom's circuit for amplification, so it should behave the same. I suspect either his capture device is bad or he doctored the images. Inclined to think that (despite my low opinion of Drakon) even he isn't that low... so I am assuming he has a bad device for composite captures. Since the famicom outputs 0 IRE black (NTSC-J), there's no real reason it should look this bright.

Don't know if you're interested, just thought I should do it... for great justice.
    Last edited by wyatt8740; 05-07-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: more info about what this is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Yeah the black level issue is pretty obvious in that Mega Man shot and something like that will kill the quality of any signal.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

oh this is the hot glue guy.
    yea I am pretty sure his after shots came rom an emulator however I don't think they have been active for a while.

plus I wouldn't really trust any one with any of my hardware that isn't past insert coin here.
    I see ape, lum fan, and others all sorts of other places while I am researching stuff but drakon....nah.

and no offence to you wyatt I probably wouldn't enlist your services either only because we, here, don't have any idea who you is.
    if you stick around, contribute, later on then maybe. but still thanks for the heads up, that's a huge community point right there

I have a feeling too if I can get a PS1 to sync over green with PS2 component cables I am probably going to do my own mods

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ugh that looks bad on both of Drakons shots. The color is off, and the middle there is no black, just some washed out shade of gray into it which isn't good. Your mod seems to have a nice happy ground of color and clarity over a stock system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    oh this is the hot glue guy.
    yea I am pretty sure his after shots came rom an emulator however I don't think they have been active for a while.

plus I wouldn't really trust any one with any of my hardware that isn't past insert coin here.
    I see ape, lum fan, and others all sorts of other places while I am researching stuff but drakon....nah.

and no offence to you wyatt I probably wouldn't enlist your services either only because we, here, don't have any idea who you is.
    if you stick around, contribute, later on then maybe. but still thanks for the heads up, that's a huge community point right there

I have a feeling too if I can get a PS1 to sync over green with PS2 component cables I am probably going to do my own mods
    Another thing to consider is sync over green is usually intended for 480p and above. Possible the monitor doesn't fully support using it with lower resolution input.
    Lum fan.