Thread: portables with proprietary batteries

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default portables with proprietary batteries

So, I have two portables--a PSP 3000 and a GBA SP--that both have proprietary batteries.

Now, personally, I always hated proprietary batteries because it basically means that if the battery goes bad, then you have to keep the system plugged in all the time because you can't simply buy new ones from the store (like you could if it used regular AAs or something).

Sadly, I think my GBA SP is fixing to prove my point. Twice now I've had power outages and thought to play it in the dark. Each time--both times I thought it had fully charged--it lasted for twenty minutes then turned itself off, not coming back on until I plugged it in. I even went back to using my normal GBA while wearing a headlamp.

I'm worried that my PSP (which is my favorite portable) will eventually go the same way.

My question is this: What can I do about it? Is it possible to mod these systems to make them use standard battery types? Or else to self-repair the actual batteries? I've already looked into replacement batteries (especially for the PSP) and that's clearly not an option--all I can find are bootleg batteries that have questionable performance.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate the proprietary batteries for that exact reason. Given a choice of always plugged in or a 3rd party, you might as well give the replacement a try. Both my GBA SP units still hold a charge well which surprises me considering their age. I never top off a rechargeable unless it is near empty and never just leave plugged in. Even though Lithiums today have no "memory" the drain to near empty before recharging seems to prolong the battery life.

As for regular batteries such as AA, I'll take an Alkaline over a Rechargeable Lithium. The non chargeable even though a one time use has a longer run time and does not drain out as quickly when not in use.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can replace the cell in the PSP battery without too much trouble. http://hackaday.com/2014/09/20/psp-l...-franken-cell/

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone who has done the same for the GBA SP. It looks like you will have to find out what cell(s) it uses on your own. Alternatively, you could do something similar to this guy http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/10/h...-battery-pack/ and wire up a fistful of AAs grouped into four and connect them in parallel.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Both my GBA SP units still hold a charge well which surprises me considering their age.
    As of a few months ago I took out and tested a couple old Tyco RC cars I've had since I was a kid, the batteries still charged and worked as they should. Everything was purchased in the mid 90's so I was happy with that, that's pretty old for old rechargeables to still be working.

I have been thinking about those GBA SPs though, been debating about keeping them or selling them all off before the batteries stop working entirely. With some units if you open the battery compartment, the batteries are starting to bulge even if they're still working. It's just a sign of what's to come. I've thought about these issues back when the system first came out and hated that it used rechargeable batteries. Even if you were on a vacation you couldn't just buy new batteries and keep playing, you'd have to recharge the system instead.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

that's odd for ni-cads. the batteries for these systems are fairly easy to replace and cheap to come by.

if we can still get replacement parts for systems that are approaching 30-40 years old then I don't think batteries for commonly used portable systems is going to be any different