Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo World Championships 2015

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Nintendo World Championships 2015

That's right, a new Nintendo World Championships after 25 years! Going to E3? You can participate as a contender!

Usually, I don't care about E3 anymore. It long ago lost its luster for me. But this changes things. This alone would be enough for me to wish to go to E3. But you add in all the other awesome stuff which Nintendo has planned for the time period, and I would LOVE to go this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't mind competing and beating everyone...while wearing an Xbox shirt If I could some how get to E3 I'd enter but for now the best I can hope for is someone's live stream.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought E3 was restricted to media heads? What games are in the competition, classic or modern? I'm guessing some tournament with this overhyped Splatoon thing. That video was god awful...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I thought E3 was restricted to media heads? What games are in the competition, classic or modern? I'm guessing some tournament with this overhyped Splatoon thing. That video was god awful...
    They disabled comments on the second commercial. What the hell are they even thinking? They need to fire their advertising company.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's my concern, how is this going to be a 'world championships' if it's done at the E3. That hasn't been open for over 10 years where you could walk up and buy or preorder a ticket off the street. Hell they were hard to get around the tail end of the 90s and early 00s when I got into it with a legit pass, but you could buy a walk in for a few hundred if I recall but they stopped it.

I want to know how this will work, what games, and what classes too? I mean Nintendo has two competing eras now thanks to their history and the VC along with the current. They can't just put smash bros in there and make it another of those annoying contests or Mario Kart, it will need variety. The old game was driving, platform, puzzle for the points. Maybe they'll do something similar with the old and the new for two tiers, or some odd mix, who knows. I'd not be surprised if they age tiered it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Prelims will be held at Best Buys across the country, finals at E3. So it won't be open to the public, just those qualifiers who are invited guests.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Preliminary rounds will be held at Best Buy locations on May 30th. The final competition is on June 14th, which is two days before E3 and on a Sunday. You can see that date listed in the video at the 2:52 mark.

And don't worry - Nintendo will be live-streaming the whole June 14th contest on YouTube and/or its Web site.

More details should be available as we get nearer to May 30th at [ http://e3.nintendo.com/ ].

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um, May 30th is getting closer and I still can't find anything on which Best Buys they're holding these things at or what games will be in the competition? What's the prizes? What's the big secret Nintendo? It's like they didn't plan this thing out.

I'd be happy to drive to a local Best Buy and bust some ass. If only I had more info to go on, they do realize people have jobs and need to do a little of planning ahead? If it is simply a Splatoon tournament, then they can go fuck themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It might have been a snap decision. I know back in the area of 90 we didn't have the net so flyers and junk had to go out months in advance, but in this day of rapid information it does stink of being rushed or just lazy not discussing more details including things like the locations, tiering of the contest, prizes locally and out in LA up to the grand prize winner. I mean this whole thing has less than a month to play out.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

E3 might just be the beginning of it too. Where they give the run down of where it'll be held, how to participate and how long it'll run for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Where they give the run down of where it'll be held, how to participate and how long it'll run for
    I just found the info online: https://games.yahoo.com/news/nintend...154139152.html

The qualifiers will only be available at 8 Best Buy locations across the country and entries are capped at 750 per store. You will be competing in Ultimate NES Remix on the 3DS. The closest location to me is New York but I have a feeling people are going to start camping out there tomorrow night so I don't plan on going there. It's too bad because I actually have Ultimate Nes Remix, it was my platinum reward from Club Nintendo.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of a lie but it is a play off the 1990 show. That is far too limiting with just 8 locations. I know there likely will not be one close enough for me to even make the attempt which is a shame as I own the physical real release of that 3DS game. I would love to take a crack at it even if I know I wouldnt be an overall winner most likely. As a kid I wanted a crack at the old show so this would have been great. Problem is I have a job and a life and camping out like a tool a larger distance from home to maybe get a shot isnt happening.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This whole thing reeks to me. I'm sorry. If it is a REAL competition then let people know what is going on. Seems like a last minute decision by Reg, and the little dream world he's constantly living in.

Ultimate NES Remix? Great game but what exact minigames are in the competition?

I wouldn't be surprised if Reg presented the trophy to himself...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

i think its great and look forward to the coverage and results.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Wow major Nintendo fail. If they do this again it needs to be in better circumstances with decent places to qualify and more time to do so.

1990 went for a few months if I remember correctly. Sure it's a different day and age but at the same time it's not so different to only have less than a month to do the whole thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The 1990 original did go on for many months, it was not a 30 day affair. They opened up a crap ton of locations at malls and other locations all across the US and they did tiers after tiers to get far more than 750(this one in 2015 has) people out of the way to cart the best out to LA at Universal Studios to do the thing.

It's nice they're doing it, but it's also an insult to those old enough to remember or have tried for the original. 30 days, 1 game for 3DS, 750 spots, and only 6 places across this huge country to do that. I call shenanigans on it. Unless by some miracle they do it in my town I'm not bothering. I can't see myself driving 2-4 hours to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville or St Louis if it's hosted there with such limited spaces, gas and time involved just getting there, not to mention practicing up before hand. A real shame. I'll still watch and try and enjoy it, but it will never have the honest luster of the original with the mishandled setup. I think they did a snap decision to do this as they had nothing new (huge) to show this year with the NX put off a year for a first unveiling, Zelda kicked well into 2016 (since they look at years from April1 to Mar 31st), and things being fairly quiet. I'm sure they will bring the games, probably more so on the 3DS front, but they were going to take a pasting and be ignored this year due to Sony and MS too, and this is a big easy attention grabbing event to suck that off of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those that didn't read the link the 8 locations are:

5001 Northern Blvd.
    Long Island City, New York

10760 NW 17th St.
    Miami, Florida

900 E. Golf Road
    Schaumburg, Illinois

12905 Elm Creek Blvd. N
    Maple Grove, Minnesota

9378 N. Central Expressway
    Dallas, Texas

3675 Pacific Coast Highway
    Torrance, California

1717 Harrison St.
    San Francisco, California

2214 S. 48th St.
    Tacoma, Washington

According to mapquest getting to the New York store would take me somewhere between three and three and a half hours. I really wish they would have made this open to more stores instead of shutting so many states out completely.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm 333mi from the closest one in IL at a 5 1/2 hour drive. They can go to hell. There are large chunks of the country being strongly excluded with that list. Definitely not going to participate now. Not much of a world (let's be serious 'US') Nintendo championship here when you have so few locations so many hundreds of miles and a lot of hours apart. The time on what I put would be going at an ideal speed not accounting for weirdness, easily more than 1/2 a day blown just driving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Ultimate NES Remix? Great game but what exact minigames are in the competition?
    There is a "Championship mode" built right into the game: it's Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Dr. Mario. A bit lame, really. (Considering the game's been out for a while now, optimal strategies have probably been hashed, re-hashed, and re-re-hashed to death.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It's nice they're doing it, but it's also an insult to those old enough to remember or have tried for the original.
    That would surely be a minuscule fraction of the game-purchasing public.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Amateur Actor, Writer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think, given the late announcement, low levels of players allowed in, requirements for entering, and the fact there's only 8 locations to qualify at across the US that the Championships probably didn't have months of planning time - I call two months, three at the most and one at the least.
    I have a [URL="http://www.terry93d.weebly.com"]blog[/URL].

Also, quietly updating my [URL="http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?170837-Fanzines-A-Listing-of-Sorts"]thread on fanzines[/URL] incessantly and insistently.

Latest Updates:
    [B]MAR 28 2015 UPDATE:[/B] Added [I]PC Engine Gamer[/I] & [I]ZX Spectrum Gamer[/I] as well as link, along with link to The Laser.
    [B]APR 26 2015 UPDATE:[/B] Added [I]Forgotten Words[/I] through [I]Shoryuken![/I].
    [B]APR 26 2015 UPDATE 2:[/B] Added names of the editors for all fanzines I have editor's names for.
    [B]APR 28 2015 UPDATE:[/B] Added more editor names as well as [I]Blip![/I] through [I]Duo-Dimensions[/I].
    [B]MAY 4 2015 UPDATE:[/B] Added a couple fanzines and rearranged the entire thing into alphabetical order. Took a lot longer than expected.