Thread: Really weird SNES issue..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Really weird SNES issue..

So I bought a SNES recently I knew was having a problem displaying games, but no real specifics of what the issue was.

So we tested this thing out, and I can't seem to find any info on what the problem is.

So, it boots up, right? And you think it's working... We tested it with two games- Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X. We also have my childhood SNES that works perfectly so we could test that and just ensure that it's the new SNES we just got, not the carts etc.

So with Chrono Trigger, the whole first screen loads.The title screen, etc. If it goes to fade to run through the demo sequence, the game stops, but still plays audio. Just nothing else, visually. Black screen.

With Mega Man X, we get the whole "COPYWRITE CAPCOM" yadda yadda and when it goes to fade out and start the game, again, goes to black, doesn't go any further than that.

I can't seem to find any info on what, exactly, the issue is, how to fix it, if it IS fixable, etc. I'm just getting started into console repair but this is my first SNES. Any tips would be grand.

Thanks! :3

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

do you lose control too?

like for instance in megaman x if you hit start a few times can you hear the game start the intro level on the bridge?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, not really... it just never goes past the CAPCOM screen upon boot.. I figure it's the PPU..... And I'm not experianced enough with soldering yet to want to try repairing that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

so while you were away I got a SNES with a similar problem, it was in pretty bad shape on the outside but the innards seemd ok, no corrosion or damage of any sort to the PCB.
    some logos, megaman X did the Capcom logo and then nothing, other games did similar if they had a logo of that sort. gradius III had a bar pattern but it usually does when it boots any way.

I searched and searched, if it were the PPU I would imagine the problem would be consistent, any thing graphical wouldn't work or would all be garbled but at least go into the game.

after some searching I found some one with a similar problem as ours and said the 7805 wasn't quite putting out enough for the board. so I tried replacing the one on mine and it flickered on and immediately right back off like it had blown the fuse except theres still continuity across the fuse, its still good. I jumped it to be sure and still no life.
    so it seems to me that mine was a combination, the 7805 was putting out barely enough voltage but I didn't test for amps. I have a feeling that my known good 7805 was more than some of the components, most likely caps, could handle any more due to age and that's why it seems like the fuse has popped.

shortly after that I had a similar thing happen with a master system. replaced a VRM and it popped a cap, replaced the cap and the system booted. come to find out though that master system has more problems still but that's for another thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    so while you were away I got a SNES with a similar problem, it was in pretty bad shape on the outside but the innards seemd ok, no corrosion or damage of any sort to the PCB.
    some logos, megaman X did the Capcom logo and then nothing, other games did similar if they had a logo of that sort. gradius III had a bar pattern but it usually does when it boots any way.

I searched and searched, if it were the PPU I would imagine the problem would be consistent, any thing graphical wouldn't work or would all be garbled but at least go into the game.

after some searching I found some one with a similar problem as ours and said the 7805 wasn't quite putting out enough for the board. so I tried replacing the one on mine and it flickered on and immediately right back off like it had blown the fuse except theres still continuity across the fuse, its still good. I jumped it to be sure and still no life.
    so it seems to me that mine was a combination, the 7805 was putting out barely enough voltage but I didn't test for amps. I have a feeling that my known good 7805 was more than some of the components, most likely caps, could handle any more due to age and that's why it seems like the fuse has popped.

shortly after that I had a similar thing happen with a master system. replaced a VRM and it popped a cap, replaced the cap and the system booted. come to find out though that master system has more problems still but that's for another thread
    I'm completely new the capacitors etc, the most soldering I've done is soldering DS Lite speakers to a new top screen's ribbon cable. (I'm a girl, so while I enjoyed trying to understand my father's tinkerings in such things, he never was a mechanic/etc or could really figure out this stuff, I always wanted, but obviously girls don't get taught how to solder electronics!!! I know it's a long road ahead before I can figure this stuff out for myself.. Thank god for YouTube!)

Anyhow, what part is the 7805? I assume that's a fuse.. I bought a SNES motherboard to possibly replace this one or use for parts to repair the old one, but it doesn't have a power plug- someone went and removed it. I can't turn it on obviously to figure out what may be wrong.. Does anyone have schematics for an SNES or pictures of the more major components, what I should be looking for, etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

7805 is the voltage regulator, its screwed to the metal plate that arcs over the back end of the board.
    you should be able to test the voltage with it in place using a multi meter

and gender has nothing to do with it. I work with a gal that has done electronics repair for 30 years before she wound up in the same department as me.
    she still replaces phone screens and tinkers with all sorts of things in her spare time

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Please tell me that that department is at least electronics or connection center so two people with such strong knowledge aren't having their talents wasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I'm connection center she's electronics.
    Talents are still wasted though, people don't know what the Hell they want or need and when you tell them what they are looking for our of we don't carry it they don't believe you.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I totally get it. I've been with the company for 13 years. Started as an unloader after managing a Funco. Recently stepped back down from co to assistant since my son was born, as I was working insane hours as a co.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Test the voltage regulator with a multimeter while the console is powered on, with and without a cart inserted. Both should read between about 4.75-5.25V. Get a cart with continuous activity on the title screen as a stress test and let it run at least 20-30 minutes and check the voltage again. If the 7805 is out of spec, you will need to replace it. 7805s are cheap and readily available.

I replaced the 7805 and green "chiclet" filter cap in my Atari and it cleaned the fuzzies right up.

Forgoing any supply voltage issues, diagnosing additional problems can be tricky. Also visually inspect any electrolytic caps for leakage or bulging.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, thanks for all the advise guys. I'm still acquiring parts I need for this stuff. (need to get desolder wick and stuff yet).. I will take a look at it soon for these issues.. Do we know if there's a SNES MB picture with all the parts listed on it so I can know what I'm looking for?

Thanks again in advance for everything so far! :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

CHAKOW!

also their store for parts:
    http://console5.com/store/kits/conso...s.html?cat=123

haven't ordered from them but I like how they supply it in kits instead of trying to hunt down individual parts.
    i'll probably order from them soon as I need a Famicom Disk System belt and the cap kits for the SNES are cheap and I want to try to resurrect the one that was doing the same thing yours is.

also one of these comes in handy, works a better than wick alone:
    http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/rad...l#.VaXwvKNFCHs

you wouldn't have to get that specific one but one like it, mines called a soldapult, same basic design different company plus it makes you think of sodomy....meh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you SO MUCH for the links!! I know this is going to sound stupid as all hell, but how do I find out what model SNES I have? (SHVC vs non-SHVC?) Or is this just NTSC vs Pal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

it'll be printed right on the circuit board in white text all caps usually followed by a -GPU-01 or something of the sort

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Any news?