Thread: Sega CD Model 1 problem

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD Model 1 problem

I read elsewhere that this may be a fuse problem...I think my Sega CD Model 1 is also not working. Last night, I was playing my Genesis Model 1 which is connected to my Sega CD. While playing a cartridge game, the audio started to crap out and then the video. I then started to smell something burning, so I quickly turned everything off and unplugged all the cables and power adaptors. I let everything cool down and opened up the Genesis, as I thought it was where the burning smell had come from, but I did not see anything that looked like it had burned or melted. It was a bit dusty so I used compressed air to clean it out before putting it back together. I then reconnected the Genesis back to the Sega CD. While there is power to the Genesis (red LED is on), there is no power to the Sega CD (no LEDs on). I tried to play both cartridge and CD games, and could not play either. I then removed the Genesis from the Sega CD and was able to play cartridge games. I even swapped the power adaptors between the Genesis and Sega CD to ensure the adaptors are working, and they were. So now I think it is the Sega CD itself that is not working, but not sure how though. I don't have another Genesis to test whether it is the expansion port that is screwed up. Any ideas on what could be not working?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

There is a fuse that could be blown (not so bad) and there could be a blown transistor (TR1 is the label on the model 2).

Neither of which are hard to replace but I don't recall the placement part number of TR-1 off the top of my head. Best to start with replacing the fuse. I hope you've got a good grasp of soldering because the SegaCD boards have small vias and aren't picky about letting you pull traces. While you're in there you may as well recap the thing so none of the caps leak and if they have you'll need to clean everything up.

So it could be:

1)Blown fuse
    2)Bad transistor
    3)Corroded trace

Also the SegaCD1 is a PITA to fix if you mess up the alignment of the tray. Take care NOT to disturb it. Shipping these things to be repaired can also cause tray misalignments as I've got two shipped to me in my closet that had this happen. Consider your options carefully.

What I don't know is why the SegaCD would crap out while the Genesis was running. AFAIK the thing is effectively shut off when the Genesis is on and when the SegaCD is running the Genesis doesn't run the show.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    There is a fuse that could be blown (not so bad) and there could be a blown transistor (TR1 is the label on the model 2).

Neither of which are hard to replace but I don't recall the placement part number of TR-1 off the top of my head. Best to start with replacing the fuse. I hope you've got a good grasp of soldering because the SegaCD boards have small vias and aren't picky about letting you pull traces. While you're in there you may as well recap the thing so none of the caps leak and if they have you'll need to clean everything up.

So it could be:

1)Blown fuse
    2)Bad transistor
    3)Corroded trace

Also the SegaCD1 is a PITA to fix if you mess up the alignment of the tray. Take care NOT to disturb it. Shipping these things to be repaired can also cause tray misalignments as I've got two shipped to me in my closet that had this happen. Consider your options carefully.

What I don't know is why the SegaCD would crap out while the Genesis was running. AFAIK the thing is effectively shut off when the Genesis is on and when the SegaCD is running the Genesis doesn't run the show.
    Thanks for the info!!! It turns out to be a bad transistor that had blown, causing the burnt smell. There is also some cap leakage that was found.