Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Opinions On Nintendo Age?

So I recently watched a Gaming Historian video about the Sharp Game Television. Never knew these things existed, now I'm intrigued, and would like to do some research in obtaining one. The Sharp C1 looks even more impressive, but this is all dreamworld for now.

I looked on ebay and found two of them, all beat the fuck up and missing key components. I then looked at another search result and up popped a thread on the Nintendo Age forums. It looks like they are trying to track down every single one of these things, even going as far as a mod calling them "our" televisions. They seem to do nothing but raise prices on the market. I've thought about registering at this site but browsing thru, it comes across as a bunch of rich pricks and elitist collectors. Not to mention that dumbass annoying Solomons Key thing in the corner when browsing with a phone/tablet. What the hell is that?

Why is that place way more active than this forum?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah... I only post on Digital Press. I lurked here for years first, but I like that this is generally an older forum in member age and experience that seems a little more grounded as human beings and less prone to elitist nonsense. I'm sure they have some great members as well or even share quite a few here, but I prefer a more seasoned crowd that's less prone to getting swept up in trends.

Good luck with the TV, seems like it'd be pretty neat.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    So I recently watched a Gaming Historian video about the Sharp Game Television. Never knew these things existed, now I'm intrigued, and would like to do some research in obtaining one. The Sharp C1 looks even more impressive, but this is all dreamworld for now.

I looked on ebay and found two of them, all beat the fuck up and missing key components. I then looked at another search result and up popped a thread on the Nintendo Age forums. It looks like they are trying to track down every single one of these things, even going as far as a mod calling them "our" televisions. They seem to do nothing but raise prices on the market. I've thought about registering at this site but browsing thru, it comes across as a bunch of rich pricks and elitist collectors. Not to mention that dumbass annoying Solomons Key thing in the corner when browsing with a phone/tablet. What the hell is that?

They are active due to them being speculators, that's it, the only thing one would go to that cesspool is for the option to keep order of your own collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

a bunch of rich pricks and elitist collectors
    Pretty much sums it up!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Narrower focus, harbors avid collectors, crap-tons of cash flow through the buy/sell boards (largely due to the first two parts), participates in gaming community events, holds it's own community events and, regardless of how people around here feel about Dain, NA's fearless leader didn't ditch them at the drop of a hat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

ResellerAge.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Last edited by Tanooki; 11-09-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The kind of people who see videogames as legitimate financial investments are not my kind of people. When I first joined this forum, the larger part of the community was into gaming. Before I joined, I lurked, and I recall the days when retro games were unbelievably easy to come by. Obscure stuff (even relatively obscure) like the TG16 and Jaguar were things that people wanted to get rid of. They weren't worth anything. Speculators such as these and eBay have sucked so much of the fun out of it.

Earthbound is one that really baffles me. I remember Best Buy practically giving these games away in the late 90s ($25, brand new) and even Funcoland for a while was selling it for a similar price used. It's not a rare game. It's a game that got some hype and has a very vocal following, which has caused hysteria about it and speculators saw that coming and are now able to scalp people for a game that you couldn't even give away 15 years ago.

People trying to buy up every single instance of something is just an extreme example of that kind of thing. It's no better than ticket scalping, really.
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

If I recall right the North American Sharp television is just using the standard composite output of the NES, I remember seeing one in person years ago and didn't consider the image anything special. You'd probably get a better picture out of a Commodore 1702 monitor or any CRT made much later like the Sony Wega if you were sticking with the system's stock A/V jacks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Delete
    Last edited by skcin7; 04-02-2023 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll speak on two issues I've had there, but please just judge for yourself.

1.) Any time I've looked on their buy/sell forum for a single or group of games, I've always found eBay prices to be cheaper. Definitely odd considering how great/respected our own buy/sell forum is here and has been for years.

2.) I don't make it a habit to read the site often but on those rare times I hunker down and dive in I'm always surprised with the amount of pure hissy fitting and rage going on directed at collectors, eBay, craigslst, other forums. I mean if you're a grown adult and your spending your time that way.....yipes.