Thread: Opinions On Nintendo Age?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Greetings!

I've decided that I want to start becoming a retro Nintendo collector focusing on just NES & SNES to start. Those are the systems I grew up playing. I recently purchased a Wii U and It's bringing back all those memories. I've always been a collector type of a person. Collecting MTG, Pokemon, Sports and Marvel trading cards since I was just a little kid. So this idea of collecting NES & SNES stuff is just really energizing and exciting to me. As of right now I have NOTHING lol. I'm going to try and hit up some garage sales hopefully this weekend to just get my collection started. I know I want to start with the most basic of things, like the Mario & Zelda games as an example. Obviously I need to sill get a the systems too. If you have any tips or ideas for me that would be great. Maybe some tips of forums, groups, facebook pages I should join?

Thanks so much!

http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...rtRow=1#bottom

Wew
    The better advice would be to suggest he look into the current collection trends and see what appeals to him. Does he want to jump straight off the deep end? Focus on just a few things? Would rather just play than collect? Guys like him that are just general 'ohh, shiny' packrats are better served by smaller, focused collections.
    Last edited by JSoup; 10-11-2015 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    The better advice would be to suggest he look into the current collection trends and see what appeals to him. Does he want to jump straight off the deep end? Focus on just a few things? Would rather just play than collect? Guys like him that are just general 'ohh, shiny' packrats are better served by smaller, focused collections.
    The dude is literally coming from MtG and Pokemon collecting. That's what this hobby is now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I take it that's why you bolded that as perhaps it's kind of true. I have no idea how high ball some of those little cards are other than I've heard they can get expensive depending on similar things like lower print runs, misprints, and people just deciding it's faux rare and enough chumps helped to up the price. I just don't even care to look as I don't get how to even play those games as they seem to be loaded with cheapo hoops to get out of binds and a lot of luck mixed with skill attempting a few digital versions for free in the past. I pity that dude, but if he's got money from those circles he'll probably take it on the nose fine, or like many who have made very similar posts there at NA within 6-12 months he'll setup a sales thing and be dumping crap in mass for taking it too far or realizing the mistakes that were made.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I recently sold 6 MtG cards for $700. Don't see why you're so quick to discredit the guy for collecting cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason I've never joined Nintendo Age. Instead I signed up to Atari Age after it was recommended to me as being a nice alternative to this site. Needless to say I don't listen to that person anymore. I probably should have tried Nintendo Age instead of Atari Age.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    For some reason I've never joined Nintendo Age. Instead I signed up to Atari Age after it was recommended to me as being a nice alternative to this site. Needless to say I don't listen to that person anymore. I probably should have tried Nintendo Age instead of Atari Age.
    Yeah you'd fit right in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^I have no idea if that's true but regardless I don't think I'll be joining many more forums unless it's for something specific I need to know.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Last edited by Tanooki; 11-09-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The dude is literally coming from MtG and Pokemon collecting. That's what this hobby is now.
    It's not. As I said, the guy is a packrat collector. For some people, it's more about the acquisition, preservation and presentation than the thing itself. That's not exclusive or even elusive to game collectors, you see it in pretty much anything that one can collect, particularly if there is a community built around it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Whatever the virtues of 15 years ago, we also now have:

• affordable flash carts that let us play practically every game released for every system that takes carts, and can hold their entire libraries on a single MicroSD card;
    • complete manual scan libraries for some consoles and near-complete ones for most pre-PlayStation consoles;
    • shitloads of newly translated games for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. that actually work on real hardware;
    • lively homebrew scenes for most consoles prior to the SNES;
    • and any number of other options for people who want to play on real hardware but don't need the original games from BITD.

All in all, I'd say gamers have little to complain about, and enjoy more options than ever. Just five years ago things were much worse on the flash cart front than now.

It's really collectors who are worse off vs. 2000, but that's to be expected with any hobby that becomes popular. The games weren't going to stay cheap forever, and the vultures would always move in eventually, especially given that the US economy is largely running on fumes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The collector's screwed themselves, that's clear, they fed the beast and then it got smart and lots of shark beats jumped in to make it far worse the last 5 years. But it also screwed the gamer who wants a real game, hell if you don't know where to look right even getting those translations can be nasty on the wallet if you look to ebay for it which is lame. I prefer using real games, so I'm stuck in the middle of gamer/collector so it hurts worst.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I prefer using real games, so I'm stuck in the middle of gamer/collector so it hurts worst.
    I like using real games too, but it sure is nice having the flash cart option -- not to mention the perpetual worry of losing your saved game on a real cart with a vintage battery (I've replaced one or two, but don't really feel comfortable soldering). It's kept me from spending substantial cash on some really stinky games, like Traysia.

The main thing I miss is the manual; I hate going into a game not knowing what I'm supposed to know, as sometimes it makes a huge difference and walkthroughs (or even the README files with translated ROMs) give too much away. I'd gladly pay a reasonable fee for nice manuals of translated games sold ŕ la carte, i.e. without the cart(e).

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading through threads like this is what I've missed most over my absence haha.

As for my opinion on NA... meh.

I don't think I've ever made an account there, just lurked mostly. Yea it seems a bit pretentious but so are a few of my friends, not really bad people they just have no idea how the real world works and might seem like assholes to people that don't know them because of it. My biggest thing is they seem too limited with the focus on mainly Nintendo. I mean I love Nintendo but it's a small part of it all for me.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm fine with that crowd focusing on Nintendo, leave everything else a bit under their radar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I like using real games too, but it sure is nice having the flash cart option -- not to mention the perpetual worry of losing your saved game on a real cart with a vintage battery (I've replaced one or two, but don't really feel comfortable soldering). It's kept me from spending substantial cash on some really stinky games, like Traysia.

The main thing I miss is the manual; I hate going into a game not knowing what I'm supposed to know, as sometimes it makes a huge difference and walkthroughs (or even the README files with translated ROMs) give too much away. I'd gladly pay a reasonable fee for nice manuals of translated games sold ŕ la carte, i.e. without the cart(e).
    While I agree about the kits, I've been through 1 NES and 3 GBA and 1 GB/GBC(bung 64m with lpt cable way back in the day) they don't keep my interest because I never can focus to finish a game, all that wasted space I don't like so I load it up with fun stuff then never do much of anything with any of them more than once or twice and not far. I ended up mostly using the GBA ones for PocketNES and Goomba Color(for my gb micro.) I miss the manuals too, but the prices on them since now they're not included I don't much care to touch if it's not $5 or less as it's not worth it to me. I'd rather have a 1:1 bootleg of that or if need be a PDF I can make one myself with, and I also always since the 90s have downloaded existing FAQ files since they tend to have the instruction manuals in part in them (at worst the controls.) I hate it when that's excluded, had to go digging for Hexen 64 yesterday and found some goofy weird 1 page review/non-review of it but the dude put the controls for the game at the top, so I pasted them onto the faq I downloaded up top. (Oroblem solved and the buttons are a bit confusing and there's no PDF of it scanned online. As much as it is like NA in a way, NES is like 100% done and N64 is 1/3 scanned to date best I can tell as far as US titles go.)

I'm fine with that crowd focusing on Nintendo, leave everything else a bit under their radar.
    YUP! As long as their limited interest in Gameboy anything sticks to cardboard boxes I'm good as with all the other flippers out there. Same can be said with the spread of N64 titles that haven't gone ripoff value too which is kind of mystifying considering some of the rental or nearly rental only(indy) games as they're like really low distro like 10K (like Indy) or less.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still think NA sucks, but after reading through this thread full of hypocrites and grown ass crybabies, this forum isn't much better. So much whinging and nut stroking.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Not Sega Saturn though. I've been collecting for it for ages. I bought Bomberman and Burning rangers back when they were under $50 on ebay. All the $50 games are now $200 games it seems these days. I'm so glad I held onto all of them for so long. I thought paying $150 for Panzer Dragoon Saga on Ebay back in '06-'07 was crazy....glad I did now.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Not Sega Saturn though. I've been collecting for it for ages. I bought Bomberman and Burning rangers back when they were under $50 on ebay. All the $50 games are now $200 games it seems these days. I'm so glad I held onto all of them for so long. I thought paying $150 for Panzer Dragoon Saga on Ebay back in '06-'07 was crazy....glad I did now.
    Well, there is a Segaage so... Maybe they're starting to act more like Nintendoage with price manipulation? Idk last I heard SA was a little better than NA but that was forever ago so maybe they changed haha.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Yeah, Saturn is pretty much walled off from all but the biggest spenders now. I wish I had checked it out more around 2006 when I first got into 'collecting,' but circumstances precluded it.

I need to check out the PseudoSaturn cart so I can play burns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sucks even more now that it's harder to find modchips for them. A decade ago, you could still easily find them online.

So now if you just want to play some Saturn games and check out what you missed out on, you're down one option. Better not screw up your cartridge port!