Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Opinions On Nintendo Age?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Some forums do frown upon a single user making a whole bunch of new topics and/or bumping a bunch of old topics in a short span and do regard that as spamming.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    no and i fail to see why that is problematic
    I was mostly joking, but in general it does depend on what's being posted. If it's some new relevant information to add then it's usually fine, but directly answering questions to users that no longer post on a forum, or providing a general opinion on something where everybody still active on a forum already gave their own in the thread years earlier, those are less welcomed. It really comes down to whether a new post in an old thread will start a new continued discussion or not. At least with multiple old threads being bumped up at the same time. Occasionally I bump up old threads too.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I was mostly joking, but in general it does depend on what's being posted. If it's some new relevant information to add then it's usually fine, but directly answering questions to users that no longer post on a forum, or providing a general opinion on something where everybody still active on a forum already gave their own in the thread years earlier, those are less welcomed. It really comes down to whether a new post in an old thread will start a new continued discussion or not. At least with multiple old threads being bumped up at the same time. Occasionally I bump up old threads too.
    I just read through the actual Terms of Service. This was the part I saw in there that was relevant to this:

Check before posting 'Best Games for System'
    Before posting a 'Top Ten Whatever' list, please check the Classic Discussions forum, as it probably has been touched upon in the past. Build upon that old thread, as the new one *will* get locked down and referred back to the original topic.
    "Build upon that old thread" meaning what exactly? If I simply answer the topic question with something relating to my own experience, is that not considered "building upon it?"

It also says this:

Peruse the Timeless Classics forum
    Note that there is a forum ('Classic Discussions') designed specifically for keeping timeless conversations alive forever. It's a good idea to browse through these; you'll find that even the oldest ones still apply today and they're fairly general topics. It's a good place to 'get your feet wet'!
    "Keeping it alive forever." I thought that's what I was doing...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

"Keeping it alive forever." I thought that's what I was doing...
    Just FYI the Timeless Classics is a separate section on the forums full of old topics. It's basically kept separate so people can post to old topics and everyone else can basically ignore them. It's been ages since anybody really posted in that section, it's at the bottom of the main forum page.

I'm ok with old topics, I think this forum generally is too as old topics aren't automatically locked like other forums do. It's still funny to see random old threads bumped up out of nowhere.

Look at this thread, who originally posted in it? Most people aren't even posting here anymore, and there was some arguing in it, and it was mostly created just to complain about another forum. Lots of previous fighting and drama happened over this type of stuff. Why bump this up for a casual conversation? It wasn't to talk about something that happened to you just now, it was something that happened to you years ago. It's like stirring shit up again out of nowhere. I mostly thought it was funny rather than annoying.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

- a mod with a Mario sodomizing a Koopa for an avatar jokingly warning a new member to behave or else he'll be banned

- two mods with the name "Mario's Left (Right) Nut"

- looking through old threads and literally 25% of the members are banned. some of the people who were banned had thousands of posts, years of active membership, positive trade interaction, trophies, etc. kinda sad when I start to think about it.

- banning a member for making a pro-Trump thread. same member who gave another member a sealed NTSC Stadium Events for free.

and basically any criticism of VGA will not go over too well.

To this day I don't know who the mods are here at Digit Press besides Nz17 and that's probably a good thing. in a retro game forum composed mostly of people whose parents had enough money to buy them video games in the 80s and 90s and are now people between mid 20s and upper 40s, I don't see why a huge moderator presence would be necessary. it seems that the moderators at NA are mostly there to make sure there is no criticism of encasing video games in glass, rendering them useless, and to make sure their viewpoints go unchallenged. the elitism that is found there gives collectors a bad name

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

calthaer (04-12-2020)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you don't like a how a private forum is run, don't post on it. That's about the gist of it. They can allow or disallow whatever they please.

in a retro game forum composed mostly of people whose parents had enough money to buy them video games in the 80s and 90s and are now people between mid 20s and upper 40s, I don't see why a huge moderator presence would be necessary.
    I don't know what you're trying to insinuate here, but coming from a well off family doesn't mean you're inherently better behaved than someone from a poor family, nor does receiving games in the 80s and 90s mean your family was well off. Many people only received games once in a great while, and older games could be had for cheap on markdown just as they can today. Additionally, many collectors in their 30s and 40s now were old enough to be buying their own games in the 80s and 90s.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The list of mods, super mods, and admins is here.

The general rule at the Digital Press Retrogaming Roundtable is to keep everything in one thread, so as long as something is appropriate to a discussion, it is cool to revitalize any thread.

Timeless Classics is likely going to end up merged into Classic Gaming at some point.

And to bring things back on-topic, I haven't used Nintendo Age enough to have much of an opinion about it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nz17 For This Useful Post:

Koa Zo (05-01-2018), Tanooki (05-09-2018)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I basically use it mainly when what I want isn't available on ebay. Sometimes someone there has a copy. It probably is best to only look for Nintendo items there though. I find some discussions to be ok. It really depends on who posts in it. It's not as bad as some Facebook groups.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

NA isn't bad, but they historically have been touchy about stuff being posted that would ruffle the feathers of enough regulars even if it wasn't an actual listed rule. You just kind of have to watch how things roll and be careful, but that's the same as anywhere. While it's very collector heavy there, they do have a good base of gamers and a lot of decent knowledge to tap into. I know it probably seems odd me being cool and all as I'd qualify for the comment of solid trade/sales rep, helpful, lots of posts over years but it is what it is. I'm not like I was those years ago, but then I got fumed at the collector mentality and the damage it caused. Now I don't care, got out of much of it, invested in kits and let people pick the bones as it's a waste being depressed about it. I've been moving into HDMI on my old stuff, and so far 3 of 4 pre-HDMI systems are just that now.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

In case anyone wasn't aware, Nintendo Age is basically dead. They sold it to GoCollect.com who basically killed the forum and the collecting tools.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg2600 For This Useful Post:

§ Gideon § (02-09-2020)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    In case anyone wasn't aware, Nintendo Age is basically dead. They sold it to GoCollect.com who basically killed the forum and the collecting tools.
    you mean the collecting Nazis no longer have a place to call home? Oh No!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've heard that videogamesage.com was set up as a replacement for the Nintendo Age forum. I can't vouch for that myself since I never joined Nintendo Age, don't know who the regulars were, haven't joined this other forum, and have no idea if the same community and atmosphere is on it. But if that info is of any use to anyone, there ya go.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Greg2600 (02-05-2020)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I've heard that videogamesage.com was set up as a replacement for the Nintendo Age forum. I can't vouch for that myself since I never joined Nintendo Age, don't know who the regulars were, haven't joined this other forum, and have no idea if the same community and atmosphere is on it. But if that info is of any use to anyone, there ya go.
    Cool I just joined them too just in case. Too bad about NintendoAge. I bet SegaAge and PlaystationCollecting fell with it as they were sister sites. The more forums the merrier. Maybe someday I can find something someone is selling there but not here or AtariAge.

I had sort of a friend on NintendoAge from Ireland who was very helpful to me. If I wanted something from ebay UK that was not listed in the USA and the seller would not ship here, this guy would let me send him the money, buy it off ebay, have it shipped to him, then I would pay him again to ship it to me. I got 2 PAL exclusives a lot cheaper this way. I wonder if he joined any other forum to replace NintendoAge.

EDIT: GoCollect.com is the new NintendoAge. Your NintendoAge user name and password will still work on the new website. It is ugly, but people still manged to post threads. I found a post saying people started jumping over to VideoGameSage back in late October. I think NA members went there because they gave up on waiting for GoCollect to fix the site like they said they would. They still haven't done it.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 06-08-2020 at 05:27 AM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickstilwell1 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (07-16-2020)