Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions On Nintendo Age?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Delete
    Last edited by skcin7; 04-02-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Considering the negative reaction here I think the shrink wrap machine could improve his rep, that is, if he could stick his head into it and shrink wrap it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read this thread carefully. Originally I was interested in this site, Nintendo Age, glanced at it a bit and I found among good things there a lot of negative aspects about game collecting. Prices skyrocket, it is often nonsense, and the 'Sealed'-Virus is anyway the most fertile ground for scamming people and in my opinion anyway just plain nonsense. Sellers try in an unreasonable and often shameless way to make profits.

Reading through the posts about the skinc7, aka Nick Morgan-affair, I can only say that my life experience tells me that you are a scammer. Sorry. Your reasoning is inconsistent, very unlikely, full of excuses and prevarications and you try to turn tables. I wouldn' trust you for one second.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I don't know Nick Morgan from well anyone... but this right here sums up why I'm giving you shit man.
    Jesus Christ, Daria. Calm your tits.

Okay, like I said in a previous page, Milenko is OKAY. He's not on this guys "side" and he certainly isn't an alt account of some sort. This is coming from someone who has been a part of this community as long as you have, just about. I may have not been very active this year, but dammit I've been here 11 years! If that doesn't count for anything I don't know what does!

Milenko comes from an IRC channel called #vbender (remember that place?), saw this discussion, and wanted to give his $0.02. He saw the name mentioned and was like "Oh I know that guy, let me share my experiences with him". He's been on the IRC for well over a year and is definitely not someone's alt account. I don't think he's defending anyone or siding with anyone, so no need for the hostility. There has been discussion in this forum about the fact that we don't have as many posters and activity (as compared to the 2006-2008 DP era), and to be honest it makes sense when we see users being hostile and ugly to new members. I'm not going to act like that's the only reason for this sort of "forum death" we are seeing but it seems to be a factor.

I understand that it is mysterious and odd that Milenko randomly showed up to voice his opinion, but I assure you it's not as random and out-of-the-blue as it seems, and I don't think he means harm by his comments/

I needed to say this after seeing how you jumped on him.

skcin7, "Donbills", Vididiots, etc:

I was around when all this stuff happened (note: as were a bunch of other people here, obviously). I witnessed the threads, but I was not personally affected by you. You scammed a lot of people (not to mention your supposed mail fraud and other things). If you are really seriously interested in being "A changed man!", so to speak, then contact all the people you scammed. Find a way to do so. Apologize and refund the money if you did take money from them. Let them know you were a stupid kid and you will never do anything like that again. Be genuine. Stop with the "Oh I'm different and an honest person now! Yay! Believe me!". Nobody believes you. You need to take action to show that you want to be in this community and you deeply regret what you did. Don't be all "I didn't get a chance to defend myself!". That's because you were caught cheating people out of their money... WTF how do you prove yourself innocent in that? That all being said, you claim to be innocent so maybe I don't know WTF I'm talking about. I mean it's not like you don't care about this place and you just posted here to bitch about NintendoAge... wait...
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Hello! Digitalpress user and occasional poster since 2004 here!

I believe Milenko is just a lurker that finally decided to get an account and not one of this guy's 23989224 alternate names.

That is all.
    To be fair, I interpreted a fair amount of sarcasm in this post. My bad.

And since Ryaan can vouch for you Milenko, it seems I owe you an apology. So sorry about giving you a hard time.
    Last edited by Daria; 09-11-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NintendoAge represents everything wrong with the vintage gaming hobby today. They care more about resale value than actual games now. They love safe repros but despise evil bootlegs, as if they're different things. They have no problem allowing repro information to be discussed, yet hate how frequent bootlegs are. They love sealed games and love VGA grading. They only care about USA region games, nobody cares about games from other regions or games from other consoles, unless they're converted into USA NES cartridges. Everyone there wants to be a big shot collector and their public forum only serves as an example for people interested in old games. The supply can't take the strain, hence why old games are obscenely expensive now.

I remember Nick Morgan from GameFAQs. Man, that was forever ago.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Last edited by Tanooki; 11-09-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also any hack of a ntsc-u game is a safe repro

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Guntz the entire site is a double sided coin of hypocrisy at its finest.

Repros = good (if not a NTSC-U game)
    Repros = Bad (if it is a US game)

They call it a 'reproduction'
    Everyone else calls it a 'bootleg' since it's not legally reproducing anything.

Making game labels good = if unique
    Making game labels bad = if similar enough to dead on to an original without REPRO written over it (Cheap fucker, sell the game to a gamer, pay $200 for one with a nice sticker as it's the only right/allowed thing to do)

Groaning about prices going up happy they got X Y Z (Pretty much anything $50 and up)
    Gloating about prices going up happy selling X Y Z

Blind trust in a shady grading company with floating standards = Good
    Questioning trusting shady grading tactics with floating stanards = Bad (banned, Hi GameboyScotty who started a thread with innocent questions, got bashed, then banned)

Warezing non-US games and translating them = Awesome! (Any Japanese or non-english PAL title)
    Warezing US games and fixing something (or not) = Attack!

Converting an overseas game from PAL to NTSC (Terranigma) = Woo! Sign me up I'll buy that!
    Converting a domestic game from NTSC TO PAL (Earthbound) = WTF! Get ther rope and torches! (Yes this happened, many times people asked for it, like this would be any threat all.)

The complete NES set has XXX amount of games.
    Tracker(dave) shows US released Sachen games = Ignore it, don't want to have to find more stuff despite him owning it or had owned it.

And then there's...
    Selling gray area if not illegal acquired prototypes not authorized for sale by legal IP/copyright holders for profit = Awesome
    Selling them with extra crap and a print run of 25 or less = SIGN ME UP I want #....because...
    Nail on the fucking head!! Also, don't you DARE make a repro of something that someone on that forum dumped and sold. That's the equivalent of dick slapping someone's mother at her funeral.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

To be fair, I interpreted a fair amount of sarcasm in this post. My bad.

And since Ryaan can vouch for you Milenko, it seems I owe you an apology. So sorry about giving you a hard time.
    Same for me. The scammer stuff got me riled up, but it sounds like I was wrong to get that way about you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by skcin7; 09-12-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why isn't skcin7 banned yet? What are the mods doing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Why isn't skcin7 banned yet? What are the mods doing?
    Playing Mario Maker probably.
    Last edited by Daria; 09-11-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by skcin7 View Post
    NintendoAge logic:

Action NintendoAge Reaction
    Homebrews that steal somebody else's intellectual property Awesome!
    Bootlegs of non-USA games made to look like USA games Awesome!
    Bootlegs in general Hall of Shame!
    Reproductions of copyrighted prototypes Awesome!
    Reproductions of copyrighted games Awesome! As long as you make it into a Limited or NA Edition. Otherwise, it's a bootleg, Hall of Shame!
    Reproduction Maps Hall of Shame!
    Reproduction Labels Hall of Shame!
    Reproduction Labels (NA Edition, with a NA logo) Awesome!
    TheCoverProject.net Horrible! Buy real boxes!
    Reproduction Boxes Hall of Shame! Buy real boxes!
    VGA Grading "A person can do what he wants with his games!"
    Reproduction labels for damaged games "You're not allowed to do that to your games!"
    Posting a link to an active eBay auction Allowed, buy highly scorned by the 50 people that had their eye on it and thought they might get a good deal
    Posting a link to a recently ended eBay auction Hall of Shame! Somebody might lose the deal and have to pay a few dollars extra for their game
    Hoarding games Awesome!

Basically, anything that money can be made on is awesome, and anything that is felt might devalue their "investments" (which is what they see their games as) is strictly forbidden, regardless of actual legal status.

It's the saddest thing I've ever seen. They completely miss the point of why this hobby is fun.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of this is awesome. It should all be allowed, without having people up your ass about it.
    You forgot reproduction celophane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Last edited by Tanooki; 11-09-2015 at 09:31 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this gold? I feel like this is gold.
    Last edited by Berserker; 09-12-2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: The edit is what makes it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

so....

I thought I knew what was going on here but now I am confused.

can some one summarize for me?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    so....

I thought I knew what was going on here but now I am confused.

can some one summarize for me?
    Really easy:

NintendoAge sucks.
    skcin7 is a scammer.
    Milenko was confused, but now all is sorted out.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Repros = good (if not a NTSC-U game)
    Repros = Bad (if it is a US game)

Warezing non-US games and translating them = Awesome! (Any Japanese or non-english PAL title)
    Warezing US games and fixing something (or not) = Attack!

Converting an overseas game from PAL to NTSC (Terranigma) = Woo! Sign me up I'll buy that!
    Converting a domestic game from NTSC TO PAL (Earthbound) = WTF! Get ther rope and torches! (Yes this happened, many times people asked for it, like this would be any threat all.)
    Generally bootlegs are tolerated or welcomed if they're something not officially available, like fan translations or unreleased prototypes. Converting regions is iffy, if it's not something that needs translating there will be people just saying to import an original copy, other people are fine with making fakes if it's something that never officially existed in the region the fake is trying to copy. The more accepted of these are the ones that won't run easily on foreign hardware, like some PAL games that won't run on US systems because of some region locking that's not easily bypassed. Bootlegs of stuff like Famicom, Gameboy, or Genesis/Mega Drive games without regional lockout are more likely to be looked down on as imports are easily playable in North America. Converters for Famicom or Genesis/Mega Drive games are easy to find(or were easy to find), the exception is converters for Genesis/Mega Drive games that do have region lockout, but these are still not impossible to get. Outright pirate copies of officially available games are not welcomed.

Thinking about rights issues like just taking the translations without permission from the creators is somewhat recent, collectors generally didn't even think about this for a long time. That issue with PAL to NTSC being tolerated but NTSC to PAL not tolerated is something I'm not aware of. I'm not sure if Earthbound is an easy game to get running as an import in PAL regions, but if it's just as difficult as playing Terranigma here in NTSC I don't see a difference.

Making game labels good = if unique
    Making game labels bad = if similar enough to dead on to an original without REPRO written over it (Cheap fucker, sell the game to a gamer, pay $200 for one with a nice sticker as it's the only right/allowed thing to do)
    I was going to mention something but someone else beat me to it.

You forgot reproduction celophane.
    Really it's the same issue as replacing a label. If someone damaged or removed the shrink wrap, what's wrong with replacing the wrap? Why don't people like buying games that have been rewrapped? It's not like they'll be opening the boxes to look at the contents anyway. It's usually made to just to rip someone off. Just make a repro of some rare game and slap on a label that looks like a legit one.

Yes he did, and I also forgot perfect copies of the white cardboard box within Earthbound. That got an once good member of that site banned for making and selling those on ebay, right along side of making perfect rear warning label duplicates for NES/SNES carts too and quite cheaply. As I was told, was warned a few times, was demanded he tag them as 'reproduction box/label' on the item, or there would be consequences. He didn't, got banned. ...over cardboard and don't use alcohol stickers.

I could have sworn in the past I've seen people make reproduction baggies and also the plastic sleeves for NES, SNES and Gameboy as dead on the nose correct, never seen a stink raised over that but I never really cared to look either.
    I once traded for a complete copy of Super Mario Land 2. The copy I got was a US original box, a Canadian original manual, a Canadian Player's Choice game, and a Gameboy Color cardboard tray. These trays don't fit the carts with the plastic cases, only loose game carts. Really nothing was complete, it's just a bunch of loose orphan parts pieced together, all incorrectly. I'm still trying to find correct parts to complete this without having to spend big bucks individually for each thing I need. This is kind of the same thing with repro boxes or repro inserts, just something else incorrect that will need to be replaced.

I wasn't aware of the repro baggies and plastic sleeves, if I had known I'd have added it to my complaints list. Personally I don't see the point of owning something if it's not real, besides bootlegs to actually play. It's like owning a fake Rolex, why bother unless you're trying to impress someone. Why bother buying fake boxes, manuals, labels, or other inserts? To me it's just stuff people buy to rip people off when selling their games. It's like those repro copies of Stadium Events someone was selling awhile back, it's a fake so it doesn't count towards a complete collection and to just play the game there's World Class Track Meet which is cheaper than a new fake cart, who are the repros intended for? To rip people off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Last edited by Tanooki; 11-09-2015 at 09:31 PM.