Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast Oddities and Kirby... and whatever else I find in my basement

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Dreamcast Oddities and Kirby... and whatever else I find in my basement

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150519_230500.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	8070
    I have a couple of Dreamcast oddities I'm curious about, not because I want to sell them, but because Dreamcast-loving friends always notice them in my basement and ask.

I've seen the Seaman talking can pop up now and again on ebay, but the prices seem stupid to me and they're often re-listed, making me think sellers are falsifying high bids to inflate the price, but maybe I'm wrong. I see one sold recently on ebay for about $200 but I know better than to make assumptions based on that. I should note that it doesn't contain the gummi worms anymore, as I ate them with my friends, like, 15 years ago.

The Rufus plushie I got for free around 15 years ago as well, and I never really thought about it as a collectible, but I've had a few people ask me if I'd sell it. I just think it's cute peeking out from atop some Dreamcast and PC-FX games on one of my shelves. I've never really seen one sold, but I haven't really looked all that much, but one pesky friend (a good guy) aleays asks me about what my stuff is worth, and I generally don't care, but I try to give a ballpark, since he's trying to build a collection.

Name:	20150519_235923.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	8071

I also have this Kirby 64 promo sign/pillow I get a lot of questions about. Got it from a Nintendo PR rep years ago that I used to know for free. Wasn't big on the game, but I do like some of Kirby's old games. It's pretty neat, but I have no clue what it's worth at all. One buddy keeps trying to buy it off of me, but I keep it for the nostalgia of a pretty great time in my life.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-21-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I haven't been able to find completed sales of that Rufus plush but a website mentions them selling for around $60 when they do come up for sale. Not sure if that pricing is still current though.

http://furfighters.wikia.com/wiki/Acclaim_Roofus_Plush

Someone else paid less.

http://radspyro.deviantart.com/art/F...lush-436680450

It seems a lot of people don't even know for sure where these originated from. Where did you get yours?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

A long time ago I got it from someone who brought it back from a FuncoLand store manager's convention along with a bunch of other stuff. I doubt that's what it was specifically made for. It was most likely something from a PR rep meant for stores to put out on display as in-store advertising. As I recall, part of that convention was attending E3 as well, so it's possible that it was just a promo item from that.

I also dug out these today:

Name:	20150520_235923.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	8072
    The cup was I believe a send-in from Nintendo cereal, but I might be remembering wrong. I saw one recently sold for $30, but that might be inflated as it was a buy it now. The magnets are I believe an old Nintendo Power giveaway, but I picked them up at a garage sale as a kid for I think $.05 a piece. I haven't really seen much on them. Again, any info would be cool, because now that I've put them out, I'll end up getting asked about them. I'd love to know if there were more magnets in this line.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-21-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Name:	20150521_014500.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	8073
    So, I dug out some more nonsense, but much tinier this time, too. These two pewter figurines are promo items from American McGee's Alice and Gauntlet Dark Legacy respectively. Not sure there a ton of collectors for either, but I thought they were interesting. Both were items I got back in the day when I worked at FuncoLand for a couple of years before the Barnes & Noble buyout. They were leftover preorder bonuses I found in a drawer long after the fact. I found a handful and gave most out to customers who bought the games afterward, and did the same for myself. Don't care much for either game, but it was interesting how many companies did pewter at the time, like the Jedi Power Battles keychain/figure set. Anyway, thanks for the info on the plushie. Any ideas on the rest of this stuff? I'll be getting out a few posters and Resident Evil stuff next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only other thing I see in that picture is a Mr. Saturn figurine, from EarthBound. Not sure if it's fan made or legit. It's pink/grey rather than beige too.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Well, I've been able to find out that there were at least 6 of the Nintendo Power magnets from 1989. The other 4 were apparently Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Bowser. Still haven't found a price, but it's neat to see that there were more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    The only other thing I see in that picture is a Mr. Saturn figurine, from EarthBound. Not sure if it's fan made or legit. It's pink/grey rather than beige too.
    The Mr. Saturn was a fan-made gift that an old friend made for me along with a neat hand-painted Earthbound cigar box. They aren't collectibles, but they're meaningful to me.

Name:	20150522_001546.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	8076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150522_001509.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	8077
    I'd show the back, but there's a lovely painted-on letter to me that's personal, but it's pretty neat, I think. I miss her often.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-22-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ahh the Kirby plush sign, always wanted it, but never had the opportunity. Good on you for keeping it.

I've had Rufus, they handed them out when I was at E3 back in 1999 or 00, I forget which year it was. It's a cool plush, but not worth much since the game wasn't all that awesome and any attempts to do more with that IP bombed as bad as the company itself did. I'm surprised someone got $30 let alone before that somehow $60 for it. When I sold it maybe 10 years ago I got like $20 for it so if it's only eeked up another $10 or maybe more since then, it's not going anywhere fast that's for sure. I have no idea if they gave them out beyond the E3 Sega floor show that year, but that's where mine came from.

Honestly of all the E3 junk I brought home the 2 I miss are the Lunar punch puppet and my 18" plush Goemon meant for the PS2 game Working Designs gave up on localizing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I do still have the Lunar punch puppet. In fact, I may have 2. I used to have 3, but I gave one away. The other is probably in one of the plastic totes I'm going through in my laundry room where I'm finding some of this stuff. I would have loved to have the Alex one on the box, but from what I've heard, they only made 2. Shame, really.

Name:	20150521_223811.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	8074
    This is some Resident Evil stuff from I believe the launch of RE3 on Playstation. The book has a preface from Shinji Mikami about the history of creating Resident Evil and a novella story in the series' universe. The hat... I think it might have been part of that Funco manager's convention/E3 pile. Haven't seen much on either, but as many RE fans are out there, somebody must know more about them/what they're worth.

Name:	20150521_224606.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	8075
    These were from around the same time, though I believe they came into the FuncoLand I worked at as press/promo materials. Never cared for either game, but the Perfect Dark hat is quite comfortable, so I used to wear it quite a bit. Probably worthless, but I thought worth looking into. I'll probably end up giving them to a good home if they aren't just silly valuable, as they're more likely to end up getting packed back up, as I have no love for either game, and won't be wearing or displaying them.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-21-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That EarthBound box is totally badass, just saying.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    That EarthBound box is totally badass, just saying.
    Thanks very much! It's very special to me.

Apparently the Resident Evil book is somewhat of a thing, which surprised me, as I used to have six of them, but I'm having trouble nailing down its value. I can't find anything on the hats at all, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

So I founf a sale that happened recently on the Perfect Dark hat for about $25, but there was no picture to confirm it was the same one. It's kind of fun trying to research this stuff, but I can't find that RE hat freakin' anywhere so far. I've found similar patches, but this isn't a patch on the cap; it's directly embroidered on, along with R.P.D. on the back. Anyone else see these around? I have 2 of them. I may have a third. One of my friends still had a copy of that Resident Evil book I gave him when I had 6, so I know I wasn't remembering that incorrectly, but the few sites that mention it speak of it as ridiculously rare, with sales reaching into the hundreds when they pop up, but I haven't been able to nail down a recent purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Ok, I put this on a thread in classic gaming, but I'm putting a bounty out on this Resident Evil hat. Anyone who csn first show me a recorded sale to give a value on the thing will get a prize from my basement. It'll be something game-related, and probably a promotional item from the late '90s, but I reserve the right to make it anything game-related that I own. To anyone interested, good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I am not having a lot of luck so far, but I'll keep going...

Name:	20150525_224055.jpg 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	8086
    This was an in-store promotional display poster from Konami. I used games on the corners as a size reference. Any poster aficionados?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Name:	20150526_233745.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	8087
    Another poster from ye olde FuncoLand back around the turn of the century. Any ideas? I'm having very little luck so far, but this stuff can't be all that rare. They must've made a ton of these posters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Some more stuff from the tubs...

Name:	20150526_234425.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	8090
    Some promotional neckwear this time. Halo 2 dog tag, from a game I don't own. I think it was a preorder bonus or something someone gave me. Regina's dog tags from Dino Crisis... this was a promo from one of the original PS1 games. Last, the pendant was a Gauntlet Legends promo I got with my copy for N64. I have the blister pack it came in, but the glue disintegrated over the years and it came open. Anyone see any of these things around? Bounty still stands for a documented sale and price for that Resident Evil RPD hat, by the way. Thinking about expanding it to some of the other items, too, as I'm having a hell of a time with this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Loving this thread. Kind of makes me wish I kept most of my promo/trade show stuff that I don't even have pictures of anymore. I'd love to have that plush kirby sign, never could wrangle that one. I think it would make a nice companion to my SNES original hanging sign that has Mario riding Yoshi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Thanks! I haven't had a lot of luck finding values, but it's been fun going through it all. If I ever for some reason decide to get rid of that Kirby, I'll keep you in mind. Anyhow, another poster:

Name:	20150528_165715.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	8092
    Another poster from my Funco days, this time from the Shenmue launch. I was primed for this, having already played through it in Japanese. Same question as always. Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Another pewter Gauntlet figurine, this time from Gauntlet Legends...

Name:	20150528_170810.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	8093
    I think it came with my N64 Gauntlet Legends. It's super tiny, barely over an inch tall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

How about some counter standees?

Name:	20150528_231343.jpg 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	8094Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150528_231459.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	8095
    Getting these out makes me miss some of my old giant floor standees that I gave away, especially the Ape Escape one. I'm not so big on the game itself, but it was a super cool display with a lot of parts that had a cool 3-dimensional appearance instead of just being a flat piece of cardboard. It was just so big, and at the time I just didn't have that kind of space. Last year I gave away my last huge one. It was from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. I never even put it on display, because I hate that damned movie and the PS1 game it was advertising.

Edit: Someone is trying to sell that Shenmue standee for, like, $300 on ebay right now. That sounds idiotic, and I know it'll be a best offer I won't get to see. I hate that crap.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-28-2015 at 11:53 PM.