Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast Oddities and Kirby... and whatever else I find in my basement

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man I would love the shenmue and skies of Acadia stuff but I don't think I would offer what you want

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ig88vsbobafett View Post
    Man I would love the shenmue and skies of Acadia stuff but I don't think I would offer what you want
    It's all good, I'm not looking to offload it. I'm just looking to find values out of curiosity and for a couple of friends who always ask me about what some of it is worth. If I ever do decide to get rid of it, I'll give DP members first crack, as I don't post anywhere else, but for now I'm just having a little fun while cleaning out my laundry room. I guess if there's something someone is really into they can ask, as there are a couple of these things I don't have any attachment to, but I mostly intend to keep it. If it's something I don't care about, I'd rather it go somewhere it'll be enjoyed at a reasonable exchange than trying to bleed every penny out of it, as frankly, there is nothing here for which I paid anything. Except the $.10 for the Nintendo Power magnets.

Speaking of which:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150528_233540.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	8097
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-29-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

More from the poster vault:

Name:	20150530_210434.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	8099
    This one's a favorite of mine. The frame is damaged from an incident moving an arcade cabinet into my basement that turned out to be heavier than my brother in law had surmised. Much drywall was patched. Still, I love this poster, and when I get a new frame it'll be hanging at the landing at the base of the stairs to my basement again where it belongs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice on the gauntlet figurine. You are right n64 got the warrior only and is hard to come by compared to the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Nice on the gauntlet figurine. You are right n64 got the warrior only and is hard to come by compared to the others.
    Cool, I thought I was remembering it right, but it's been about 15 years... the time goes by so quickly, especially with kids and the like.

Figured I'd put up one more poster before going to bed...

Name:	20150530_211017.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	8100
    This was part of a signing csmpaign FuncoLand did shortly after being bought out by Barnes and Noble. Not everyone knows how close that was to being different. Electronics Boutique had actually arranged a complete asset purchase agreement, to the point where the employees were given EB paperwork for transitioning ownership, benefits, etc., as a purchase from Dave Pomije, former owner. In the 11th hour, Barnes & Noble swept in, having already owned Babbage's and Software, Etc., and threw a few million more on the table. Imagine how different the landscape might be had EB and Funco been up against the others...?

Anyhow, each current system had a chosen game with a mascot coming out of a can, and Shenmue was the Dreamcast rep. I was a big fan of the series, so I took it home when they were throwing the kit out. It's slightly thicker than card stock. Anyway, I doubt there's any way to find any kind of value here, as it probably doesn't have much, but I just thought it was interesting, but not so much to start up a new thread.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Edit: Someone is trying to sell that Shenmue standee for, like, $300 on ebay right now. That sounds idiotic, and I know it'll be a best offer I won't get to see. I hate that crap.
    I see that listing but there doesn't seem to be a best offer option available. If there is any completed ebay listing that sold for a best offer, there is a way to see what the best offer price was. Copy the link to the ebay page, go to the website below, and paste the link into the "Keywords" section. It'll show you what it actually sold for, or provide a link that does. Just something I found awhile back.

http://www.watchcount.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Oh, cool, I didn't know about that. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Another item from Resident Evil:

Name:	20150530_210816.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	8101
    This was a store display poster from the launch of Nemesis. It has a few scratches and dings from falling off of the old FuncoLand window. My least favorite of the Playstation trilogy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Name:	20150531_215822.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	8102
    Some more stuff from the totes. The watch... I believe it was from E3, either 2000 or 2001. I believe it was 2000. That card was a goofy-ass FuncoLand/Nintendo Donkey Kong 64 promotion, where anyone who bought the game was to get a "Banana Club" card.

Name:	20150531_220300.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	8103
    As you can see, I did not sign mine, and so I can eat as few Bananas as I'd like without being in breach of contract, though as a result I never enjoyed the full benefit of Banana Club membership.

The watch is what I'm curious about in this picture. The card just made me chuckle when I saw it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Okay, one more obscurity before bedtime. Help me out, Working Designs buffs!

Name:	20150531_233200.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	8104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150531_233233.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	8105
    E3 2000, Borgan, the Grand Wizard of Neo-Vane, was present to take pictures with his adoring public. He handed out his business card, which you can see says "Borgan" on it, and you could have your picture put in this small card stock-thick frame booklet. Probably not worth much, but fun for us Lunar fans, I think. I don't expect to find much on it, but I figured if nothing else Tanooki might be amused.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Here's a funny one:

Name:	20150602_005352.jpg 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	8108
    An action figure of the great one made to promote WWF Smackdown on Playstation. This was in the pile of stuff that came back in the FuncoLand store manager's conference/E3 2000. The Rock in plastic with an awkwardly-crafted rubber-ish sleeveless shirt. I don't imagine it's worth a lot, but he sure looks mad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Looks like the RE hat I've been asking about has finally surfaced on ebay at a $30 BIN. Guess I'll find out if it sells. At least that's one more thing figured out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Name:	20150727_023706.jpg 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	8211
    Still working in my basement, I pulled out this Klonoa 2 trade demo. It has a couple of playable levels and some cutscenes with English text and Japanese spoken dialogue. Any ideas? Found a few others I'll put up as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Name:	20150727_025044.jpg 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	8365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151112_011754.jpg 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	8366
    A couple of demos I ran across. I have a UFC one somewhere to go with Rush and DOA 2. Haven't seen DOA 2 or UFC sell on ebay for awhile, so I'm not sure if there's any value there.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

What job did you do when you got all these?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I worked at FuncoLand, starting as a Game Advisor, then became Assistant Manager and interim store manager briefly from the time I was 19-21. Got to meet a lot of PR reps and made a few connections for awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Name:	20151116_232356.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	8372
    Found the UFC demo. Been doing a whole lot more cleaning this weekend, as things at work are about to get crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Name:	20151116_234710.jpg 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	8373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151116_234339.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	8374
    I bought that Defender handheld back around 1990 at a neighborhood garage sale. It's far from perfect, but still looks decent, and plays perfectly. Still have the manual and AC adapter. The other things there are just promos for the first Evil Dead game (a sticker) and a preview guide from Prima for Soul Reaver 2. Prima did these a lot at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

One more for tonight:

Name:	20151116_235957.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	8375
    This Pong promo actually contains the full game in a late developmental stage. It's actually a really fun update of Pong with a load of multi and single player variations. It's pretty neat, and worth a spin for some simple fun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Attachment 8071
    I also have this Kirby 64 promo sign/pillow I get a lot of questions about. Got it from a Nintendo PR rep years ago
    I still own one as well. I got mine from an Electronics Boutique after requesting it for months around the time of the game's release so it was definitely used in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'd love to have that plush kirby sign, never could wrangle that one. .
    There's also one for the original Kirby's Adventure on NES though he is a little more pale.

This pic is more red-saturated than most I've seen.

Both signs are rare, though I've seen the NES one pop up more often than the N64. When I do see the N64 one, it is usually missing the top part with the title. If I remember correctly, I saw an N6t4 one pop up on ebay in 2015 and it did not have the title part of the sign. I look regularly for Kirby ephemera as a curiosity, though I've never bid on these auctions.

As I said both are rare and I have two references for the NES Kirby sign. The first is an auction, ending in 2010 for $355.55 (2010 auction). The second is a more recent auction, ending this past November 2015 for a $1000--that's 1K, that's 1 grand, baby!

Listing shown as sold in completed search results
    After clicking on link, the status of the listing is shown as Ended (November 2015 auction) and you might think that it ended without being sold but the search results show it in green which means somone clicked buy it now. That doesn't mean they went through with the transaction.

As for references to the Kirby 64 sign auction, I only have my memory of seeing it. I did not follow up on the end price, though I remember seeing 55 or 85 in my mind's eye when the bidding was still open, though that might be a twisted memory as memories do change over time. You just can't trust it.

Items like this are rare and their values fluctuate based on demand and awareness (of the item and that a listing is available in the first place). Sure, a high buy it now might be snatched up before you notice it, but with enough exposure, an auction can reach pretty lofty heights. If you wanted to sell the Kirby 64 sign ( why, oh why would you get rid of Kirby :'(, I suggest putting it up for auction.